Slingsby T53B

Guest tholland53

Guest tholland53

Just arrived after web searching T53. There are those of you with Slingsby T53 experiences. I'd like to hear from you with any and all info. I just acquired T53B S/N 1688 US reg N1664. Getting it back into flying shape now.

Tom

Guest TOSGcentral

T53 Snippets

A few snippets on the T53.

Overall not a bad glider/trainer but a few faults in my view. It was comfortable enough, the low cockpit sides gave students a great view but distinct feeling of exposure (that puts some people off).

Flying it from the back seat was a bit like flying the East nave of Notre Dame cathedral what with all these gothic arches marching away in front of you.

The aircraft aerotowed well enough behind Cubs and Austers. I was never at the glider end but we had one at Lasham operated for met research by Reading University. Tows were typically to 5000-6000’ and I never had any problems towing it – unlike some of the big wooden sleds such as the Bocian D and especially the T49 Capstan (known locally as the ‘plywood overcast’.

For a big and heavy glider it took a surprisingly good autotow – the low sides in particular allowing students to see straight down to the runway for drift correction in cross wind launches. It did however emit a lot of ‘oil canning’ that sort of started at one tip, marched down the wing and then out to the other tip. This was of not much consequence except for the first time you met it if you did not know about it.

The dual undercarriage worked well with the usual challenge of ensuring the machine was going where you wanted when the nosewheel came down because that sort of fixed the situation in cement until it stopped (with not a lot of rolling resistance).

In common with most Slingsby gliders it had extremely powerful airbrakes.

The big failing (especially as a trainer) was that the machine was a monument to aileron drag from the big parallel chord wing. A great deal of rudder was always required with it.

The T53C was an attempt (that did not work well enough) to counter some of the aileron drag challenges. This had a fin and rudder extension above the tailplane. The factory gave the 53C Prototype to Mike Valentine and I for a day to evaluate and do demonstration flights in at Lasham – so we both got some solid ‘working type’ experience in it. I found it a bit better – but not much.

Overall the aircraft (for the time it was produced) did not make any significant steps forwards as a trainer vis a vis what else was available. Lasham never bought them and was content to remain with the ASK13s that were lighter, simpler and less costly to maintain and operate as working aircraft.

There is/was 53B in Australia. I have not heard of it for a long time now but I believe it was operated by the Boonah club. They would probably give you a lot more in-depth opinion of the type as they had it for so long.

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi tholland53

Owned and flew a Slingsby T51 single seat...beautiful, as Tony says, great vision and very powerful air brakes.....would drop a wing easily close to stall in rough thermals which honed stick and rudder skills.

Try a google search for Slingsby T51 and there is a beaut little youtube showing the aircraft ( including the two seat model ) under construction....at one point, the factory had 160 employees.

Best of luck with the restoration

Cheers

JL

• 8 months later...
Guest tholland53

Hi again. Just a short update to previous thread information. Have (mostly) completed the rejuvination of this glider and we've been flying it quite a bit. No surprises thanks to sage advice from those of you with experience in the type. Have been auto towing and aero towing with great sucess on both methods. Haven't noticed the "oil canning" mentioned. Does "moo" a bit where phenolic friction blocks guide the push-pull tubes, but is easily taken care of with a bit of teflon dry film lube periodically. Performance is surprisingly good. Really does hone those stick and RUDDER skills. I've got a nose hook installed as well as a CG hook. Really helps for aero-towing not to catch the rope on the nose wheel. Strange bit of info when practicing rope breaks and subsequent down wind landings- when sterring goes away, the glider will turn away from the down wing- some what unexpected but useful for steering once it's understood.

Thanks again for your advice. Tom