Cheap Titanium Tube and Russia

reading through some magazines I find so many Russian titanium products for only a fraction of the cost more than the chrome moly equivalent, has anyone else noticed this and has anyone had experience with getting stuff from Russia? Imagine a Sonerai with a full titanium frame.

Guest Maj Millard

I know that Russia has most of the worlds titanium, just like we have most of the Uranium. The worlds best state supplied wheel chairs are welded titanium. (Sweden) When the user doesn't need the chair anymore, they go back for a rebuild and paint job, and are used by a new person. Soviet built aircraft usually incorporate a lot of it. As they say: stronger than steel, lighter than aluminum.

and not to mention, extremely difficult to work with! 1 drill bit =1 hole. thats it. 1 countersing bit will do about 5 holes, thats it. oh, and tinsnips! arrghhhh

Not to mention welding headachs, but what about laser cutting? It makes for good landing gear like on the su31.

Actually ALL the tubular structure in the SU- series of aerobatic airtcraft is titanium.

As for drilling, use good quality drill bits and drill at lower speeds with good pressure applied.

Most of the titanium welding I have seen has been fairly easy. Getting filler rods can be difficult, usually cut strips from a sheet to use as rods.

Any links to the Russian sales sites?

Arthur.

It'll be pretty much wasted on a fuselage truss as most of the tubes sizes will be determined from column buckling criteria. With the Soneria maybe even minimum practical tube size and thickness for some of the tubes.

i.e. max tensile strength is irrelevant except in a couple of places.

Save more in weight by eating a smaller lunch.

The Cub originally used mild steel.

Actually ALL the tubular structure in the SU- series of aerobatic airtcraft is titanium.As for drilling, use good quality drill bits and drill at lower speeds with good pressure applied.

Most of the titanium welding I have seen has been fairly easy. Getting filler rods can be difficult, usually cut strips from a sheet to use as rods.

Any links to the Russian sales sites?

Arthur.[/color]

Ah, the pylon man himself. The Oaks boys were telling me about your project. Alot of people are interested in your progress. I have no links to Russian titanium but I'm sure one of the forum users can help. As for sites where you can get everything, I know of a great site, it for Chinese companies who want to sell stuff to the west. You can find amazing things from cell phone jamers to razor wire to hazmat gear and its all so cheap. http://www.diytrade.com