retirement air park in the desert.

gofastclint

I recently watched a clip about an air park in the desert in the states. It was set up for retired couples to keep on flying into their twilight years. I don't know why we don't have more of these Air parks in Australia in the middle of no where. Land in the desert is cheap and if you built all the houses underground like some parts of lightning ridge, it wouldn't get too hot. All you would need is a decent runway so people could fly what ever they wanted. The only cost would be in maintaining the strip and the aircraft as if nothing grew there is nothing to mow. Hangars would be very simple as the dry air preserves alot of things, just a shade shelter would do. And with no rain, flying could be all year. A regular day could be a fly in the morning, followed by breakfast with the wife. Then off to the rec center for a game of cards and a swim with mates. Just a thought. Always loved visiting the desert, and I have seen some amazing underground homes.

I'm looking for a place for my dad. He has always wanted to live in a re fitted mine, like an opal mine. All my dad wants to do is fly planes, watch tv, smoke and finnish the day with a beer or two.

There are miners who will build 1 standard room in rock for 10k thats cheaper than a brick house. So extentions are cheap.

All depends on what you want out of life.

Umm, how about build him a bunker behind your house, and set him up with a really fast PC with flight sim on it? ;>

He goes camping a lot with mates in the red center on their properties and always comes back with all sorts of trinkets from fossicking, it would be good to keep him out where his heart is.

Coona would have some significant weather issues Id guess if you want to fly regularly

Some really big hills to avoid too!

Skypark Narromine? - $80K for large town block on the runway

JR

• 2 weeks later...
Guest check-in

Wentworth NSW is almost on the edge of desert, but close enough to water and civilisation. Gets my vote. In the REAL desert, one would have to be prepared for celibacy, 'cos the little lady would most likely have none of it.

wentworth

It's pretty much on the edge of the desert allright. The trouble is that the river winds all around it, and it has flooded in the past and will again as the area is dead flat. mightn't happen tomorrow, but one day..

How would you put up with temps above 40 C day after day, in summer? Think I'd move permanently into the CLUB in town, spend the rest of my money (that wouldn't take long), on alcohol and destroy what is left of the grey matter in my head.. Aaaaarghh!...

Guest check-in

If I was starting from scratch, I'd go for Stanthorpe in Qld. Great climate if you don't mind the cold in winter. And all those wineries.....

But I don't think it's actually set up to be an airpark, even tho' there are some adjoining properties.

Would be great as long as you had a really long runway (2000m) and didn't want to fly jabirus. 40 plus degrees every day except winter when it's -5 at night.Gibbo

hey Gibbo, what is this statement suggesting sounds just like a Jab Stab to me, Read the reviews and speak to the manufacturer about these issues, which are not a problem at all, but i think it is unfair to defame products especially Aus made one's, or maybe your just trying to wind me up who know's.

But one thing we should all keep in mind is that via the years of efforts Jabiru have put into recreational aircraft, in developing a great aircraft atually paved the way for all of the imported high performance aircraft in this catorgory, including some composite types, so with that i believe that Jabiru deserve respect and appreciation for where we are today, they are certainly held in high regard by CASA as a certified aircraft builder, who are proactive in an ongoing project development program, and provide customer service that is second to none, next day parts ect, .

These forums are world wide read and Jabs are sold world wide, in Africa they are a primary trainer and are also used by National Parks there, Jabs have proven themselves some old LSA's are still in service one i heard about has 22k hours it was born about 1985, not a bad record at all.

At the end of the day the poor old Jab has had to contend with an onslaught of critique and negative propergander, this was mostly done by people with an interest in selling their imported aircraft for which they were a dealer agent, which is a poor way to market and leaves a lot to the imagination as to the level of integrity these people have. it is not the Ausie way or in the interest of our products and benchmarks. well that is my say cheers and safe flying

Guest Graham Lea

Lightning Ridge is 10 hours drive from Sydney and the summer temps get to be over 40% after 1000am often in summer. It s also 3.46 from Hoxton via Narromine. Out west is a GREAT place to fly - especially in winter, autumn or spring. Just too far for a park. Narromine has one but a bit expensive I guess for most.. it is also a bit far from the Syd basin (but great for those closer, like the Ridge!)

Graham Lea

hey Gibbo, what is this statement suggesting sounds just like a Jab Stab to me,

192 hours in Jab 160's, 14 hours in Jab 170's.. Got my cert in July 08, About to embark on my third self fly 'service' trip around the top end (another 50+ plus hours). Aircraft choice --- J170 ---. May cross over to a 230D if I can get a longterm x-hire.

The performance on a soft sand strip in hot weather is 'marginal' when you have afternoon pressure altitudes of 7000'. I have seen 8500' in the southern half of the Tanami.

Tough Buggers compared with some on the market.:big_grin:

Gibbo

But....

Sounds great, but what about when you are too old to fly?

Then you're stuck in some god forgotten hell hole with no where to go, no services, no kids to foist yourself on, and a 'plane you can only wash the ever-invading red dust to get your flying fix. And worst of all, you may not even have the internet to partake in this forum!

Jack.036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif036_faint.gif.b6fdbf92c760c47b56da9b625fc7db92.gif