• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
Sign in to follow this  
Arron25

Bede5

Looking through an old hard drive before I wiped it and found this link that I had obviously found years ago

http://www.bd5.com/

The Official Home of The BD-5 Network

I do remember years ago investigating if it was possible to lower the stall speed of the BeDe5.. to get to RAA speeds.. conclusion was..nah.. but would still be open to ideas 

I am of the opinion something like the Cassut racer or Sonerai was/is never going to stall at 36 knots without flaps. I think the BD-5 J never had flaps only retractable undercarriage (could be wrong there).

Unfortunately, single seat piston engine designs typically give up a lot to go faster and give up a lot of speed to stall slower.

Stall speed also implies runway takeoff / landing distance required. There is no point in going fast if you need a mile of runway to get stopped and don't have it.

• Like 1

Quentin Campbell, ex AUF tech manager built a BD5-J in  the late 90's. Powered by a French Micro turbo jet acquired from the naval air museum at Nowra. Sold to  a Texan who needed to re-engine it as it required more thrust. I believe it ended up in sth America somewhere.

Methusala

I had a bit of interest in the Bede back in 2006 when Juan Jimenez held a workshop at Hoxton Park. The workshop attracted about 20 odd people and a couple from New Zealand as well. Juan supported a builders forum at the time and had bought Quentin's BD5-J. It seems it not only had thrust issues but there were oil leaks and installation issues as well.  Juan took the aircraft with him when he migrated from USA to South America. He later sold it. I'm not sure where it ended up.

• Like 1