• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
Parkway

Affirm? Or Roger...

Question

I’m a fairly new pilot, and seem to be struggling with the use of “affirm” and “roger”. I understand the meaning of both, and the context in which they SHOULD be used, but I seem to continually default to saying affirm when I really should say roger. Has anyone else had this problem? 

I guess it will eventually work itself out, but I thought someone might have a way they went about drumming it into their head haha.

On my last flight I did it so many times it started to become comical! Here’s a short video of it

79 answers to this question

Probably nothing. Decimal Day see mal. was the original correct way. VHF 122.1 is one twenty two, one or one two two one. with the 1/2 extra digit I think I would use the "Point" one five. (two digits). On HF you would go to six megs. or 3 megs which was short for a four digit frequency. in each instance .Nev

I always preferred the 'Day se Mal' instead of 'Point' as used in the USA Nev,. . .but this is Purely Subjective,. . .We use it in the UK because we do. . . . .and we don't get that many US pilots complaining, as far as I'm aware. I recently heard a Brazilian pilot using 'Point' . between frequency numbers, but this is quite rare, and the Brit controllers seemed to be OK with this and didn't become pedantic. ( Yes, I Know I'm a saddoe and listen in to commercial traffic into Birmingham. . the controllers aren't as amusing as the guys on Heathrow tower though, they're in a class of their own. . .

I recently heard an RPT using our airfield freq a few weeks back,. . obviously an error, so I informed them of the correct channel to be on and they thanked me for the info. . .what the heck they was doing on unicom 129.830 I have no idea, it's nothing like any of the Brum channels,. . but HEY, any chance to talk to an arliner eh ? Turned out to be a Cargo 'Dog' from Bulgaria. . . . my BEST 'Other' one was a call from an RPT just South of Iceland,. .( This was over 10 years ago ) not bad on VHF, from 650 NM range. . . ( Mind you, he WAS at FL310 ) Gave me a position report. . . I was so proud. . . .( ! ) He should have been on 119.825, but he got us instead. . . I'm still amazed that we were readable '4' on a five Watt transmitter at that range,. .. but radio wave propogation does strange things at times. . .as all you radio hams know. .

Edited by Phil Perry

Just as an aside,. . .the Bulgarian pilot to whom I spoke, was a LAYDEE. . .the Eastern Europeans had lots of Lady pilots in their air forces during the cold war, and still do apparently,. . I just have to wonder if they are all trained and conversant with cleaning the cockpits and behind the Galley fridge too. . .?

( Grabs Helmet and runs for the hills. . .)

• Haha 1

On 27/02/2019 at 6:27 AM, pmccarthy said:

Roy Rogers.. but doesn’t everybody?

Yes, but Bond Rogers more....

On 03/07/2019 at 8:11 AM, Phil Perry said:

Just as an aside,. . .the Bulgarian pilot to whom I spoke, was a LAYDEE. . .the Eastern Europeans had lots of Lady pilots in their air forces during the cold war, and still do apparently,. . I just have to wonder if they are all trained and conversant with cleaning the cockpits and behind the Galley fridge too. . .?

( Grabs Helmet and runs for the hills. . .)

Phil...BEHAVE!

Karen

Edited by kaz3g
  • Haha 1