Isnt it great!!

Guest Vigilant

Guest Vigilant

Hey guys & gals - how about a different topic. A "Isn't it GREAT" one, open to any and everything that really tickles your funny bone or NOT!!

Let me lead the way, Isn't it great when you are nearly at the end of October and last week we had bushfires - but tonight as Ifound myself at workdriving between Burnie and Devonport on the North West Coast of Tassie - AT SEA LEVEL AND IT IS SNOWING SO HARD I HAD TO SLOW DOWN TO 70km/h on the highway!!!

DAMN no wonder I need a glass of red when I get home 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Come on some one has to be able to top this ........... surely??

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Fred Bear

To be quite honest I am fed up with the whole global warming issue. In Sydney we have been having days like these:

mon-19

tue-27

wed-35

thur-27

fri-18

etcetera etcetera. Wonder why so many people are so sick. Doctors surgery was full of people with colds/flus. I witnessed something similar when I went to the USA several years ago. At White Sands New Mexico it was 52 celcius and then a few days later at the Grand Canyon snow. Got to love that! I wish the temp in Sydney would just stay in the 30's now for a while. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Guest Fred Bear

Indeed Chris. My parents have a property between Bathurst and Hill End. Don't even know when's the last time it rained there :ah_oh:

While I think maybe our actions might influence weather, I am yet to be conviced that the level of catastrophe is coming soon.

Anybody remember in the mid seventies how those in the know said we only had fossil fuels left for 30 years, since then our use of fossil fuels has trebbled and their now saying we only have enough fuel left to last thirty years, were they bullsh*tting the last time? Do they know? Was it just a ploy to jack up oil prices?

The weather mob can't give us an exact temperature for 2 weeks time yetbut experts now can tell us the temperature will be 2 degrees warmer in fifty years? Are we being missled somewhere?

They tell us the sea levels will rise to unseen levels, by who? Back when the earth was being populated by man they walked from Africa round the world,across Asia down Strayliya to Tasmainia. There was a land bridge across Bass straight, what caused the sea level to rise then? Dinosaur farts? Was it just a natural thing that was an indication of the cycling Ice age/ warm world? Who knows what is the "normal" weather? Was the last 50 years an aberation and not normal? Is there a hundred year cycle, 1000 year cycle, who knows?

There is a chance of crying wolf, we have been told about impending doom for the last 30 years and nothing has happened. Can you blame people for not taking any notice when it seems the only drive behind this to be financial gain.

Guest Fred Bear

The earth is slowly being raped by man though there is no doubt about it. Take a look at the amount of cars on the road compared to 15 years ago. That, combined with many other 'man-made' factors is causing the earth to slowly sh$! itself. All you need to do is take a look out of a Sydney window on a wind-free day. You are hard pressed to see the city from only 10km away sometimes.

Guest Vigilant

A water level recording station onThe Isle of the Dead at Port Arthur on the south east of Tassiehas shown a 13cm rise in sea levels since 1841 - about 4" in the old speak, other studies show it is in the vicinity of 1".

What ever it is the VERY wet winters and distinct summer/autumn/spring seasons we used to experience in the early 70's to 80's on the farm have gone. -

Originally posted by Student Pilot;

"Was the last 50 years an aberation and not normal? Is there a hundred year cycle, 1000 year cycle, who knows?

There is a chance of crying wolf, we have been told about impending doom for the last 30 years and nothing has happened. Can you blame people for not taking any notice when it seems the only drive behind this to be financial gain."

I don't know, but I certainly don't think taking no notice is the answer, certainly not for our kids - Hey and I ripped and bulldozed and encouraged the cows to fart with the best of them.

The thing that I find interesting is as Einstein said "Nothing can disappear",boil water and it becomes steam, whichbecomes condensation, which becomes water again,so where is all that water in our oceans coming from?It must have been somewhere in the first place for it to end up in the ocean and why isn't it in our dams???

In the same context we can't keep altering the makeup of our planet and not suffer the consquences. The oil is taken out of the ground, what happens to it after we use it in our motor cars, then what happens it after that and that and that. The space that is left after taking the oil out of the ground I believe is filled up with Gas so where is that gas coming from and why arn't we using that - and it's only Monday radioactive.gif.1acc918ae505c8835a1c29d9312871c0.gif ;) :;)3: :confused:

All the extrawater in our oceans is coming from the polar icecaps --Antarctica is melting, more bergs are breaking off etc If you don't believe in the hole in the ozone, you ought to spend some time in antarctica without sunblock ---YOU GET BURNT -- we used to get through buckets of the stuff, much more than I ever use up here in the desert (currently Roxby downs)

The galciers dwon there are retreating, the Ross ice shelf is shrinking

We are messing up the planet

Peter

enough of the doom and gloom outlooks...

Isnt it great!, my house is on the market, and getting lots of inquiries in just the first week! as soon as it sells i can buy my Plane!!!!! YAY, and the Missus approves! Isnt it grrreeaattttt!!!!

When ice melts it absorbs 80 calories of heat per gram of ice to change it to water at the same temperature.

So the polar icecaps are working as an airconditioner for the planet 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif so far.

Once it all melts then an additional 80 calorieswould raise the temperature of that gram of water by 80 degrees centigrade. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Once the ice capsare gone the temperature of the rest of the planet may take off. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif radioactive.gif.1acc918ae505c8835a1c29d9312871c0.gif :yuk:

Once water gets to 100 degrees centigrade it takes 540 calories to turn each gram into steam with no change in temperature. Once it is steaman additional540 calories would further raise the temperature of a gram of steamby 1080 degrees centigrade. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Ross

Hi Darren

Not much nuclear fission in melting ice or boiling water.

Try the following.

Put some water on the stove in a saucepan.

Insert a suitable thermometer that is safe in boiling water.

Put the hot plate on a low setting and wait till the water boils.

Take the temperature when it boils.

In Tumut it will usually boil at less than 100 degrees centigrade.

On the runway at Kingsford Smith it will be close to 100 degrees unless you are in the middle of a cyclone. But there might be a problem setting up a stove on a runway there especially in a cyclone.

Turn the hot plate up to full blast.

What will happen to the temperature of the boiling water compared to when the hot plate with water boiling was on a low setting?

Regards

Ross

There was an Ice Age 10,000 (???) years ago & the natural cycle is that the earth is moving away from that to a Warmer Age. That has happened before and the eath's climate has NEVER been fixed and stable over thousands of years.

While human beans may have contributed somewhat I believe that it has yet to be conclusively proven that the warming cycle has been massively accelerated.

There have been substantial temperature swings this spring, however I built a mine on the west coast of Tassy some years ago when it snowed late Nov/early Dec and nobody slit their wrists at that time over global anything. We just went to the pub.

Everyone is getting excited about Al Gore's lectures/movie, but you must remember that he is just getting all his ducks in a row to prove that he is "caring & sharing" and environmentally credentialled when he runs for the Presidential nomination.

While we in Wagga are really feeling the drought, I have mates on properties in FNQ who have never had it so good.

I refuse to accept that someone flipped a switch 4 years ago and it is never going to rain again .... and I have a bet going down here that within 5 years we'll all be down on the levy bank filling sandbags.

Nowater storageshave been built in Sydney since the city was a fraction of its present size. Is it any wonder that more people use more of the stuff. Similarly Gov't have done bugger all in most places to add water infrastucture as populations grow.

I feel better now ........... Isn't it Great?? Captain

Guest Vigilant

Peter - you are so right :ah_oh: I sort of intended it to be a bit of a slapstick "Oh gee isn't that great thread", however it is interesting and pleasingto see that the concern for out environment, climate and planet as a whole is strong.

I think we have all had the same grizzels about how the weather is changing and upsetting our way of lives BUT we all need to do something about it, what do they say a march of a thousand miles starts with a single step. If we EACH do one little thing MAYBE we might help avert a future catastrophy.

As CAPTIAN said there was an ice age 10,000 years ago - but we didn't have the population that would be affected then. I am no historian but I am pretty sure the scientists said that little event had a major impact on the human population of the planet - how would we cope with the social disassociation, refugees and hunger if we faced a human exodus from regions of the earth.

It may mean my seaside block will be flooded, or being closer to Antarctica iced over and I will have to move north - perhaps I could then get to fly Christine's new Sportstar 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 011_clap.gif.8adfe837b4189ee6622bf4917d6a88c0.gif

Hi All

Seen in Leeton at about 12:00 noon today then departed towards Narrandera

[ATTACH]447[/ATTACH]

From my driveway appears to be circling the Golf Course on the other side of town or maybe the main street.

[ATTACH]448[/ATTACH]

Chased it in the car but it escaped before I could get a closer shot.

South East of Leeton. Departing for Narrandera??

Regards

20061104_033356_Holden_Blimp_in.jpg.9ee7c7aaaf8b82c900b4c7d1a83a6a19.jpg

20061104_034006_Holden_Blimp_in.jpg.776662bec545daf8bf57041af30d2178.jpg

Hi All

BTW there is a noticeable lack of flying activity of Narrandera planes circling Leeton this afternoon so far. There was one this morning who must have done a dozen or more circuits before returning - rego ending in 24-?383 maybe.

I checked the RAA site for a recent 24-?383 registration but the latest entry there is dated 30-06-2006.

Regards Ross

Ross,

There is a Wagga All Ford weekend in town here at the moment.

Maybe someone has a sense of humour and is sending the blimp down here to stick it up 'em from above.

Or there is the rag & tube fly in at Holbrook. Would that thing qualify for that?

We had the Blimp through here the other day, just transiting I think. I'll bet they don't have on the side "All new Holdens recalled, potential fatal flaw with fuel system". That would be a good way of telling people to bring back their new car for repairs, anybody see Holden doing that? ;)

Geoff,

Would their largesse stretch to showing it off at Holbrook.

Somebody at Narrandera might be able to answer that question as they might have refuelled there and had a comfort stop for a cuppa or something.

See if Roger from Narrandera responds.

How about some photos behind the J230 panel - mine are too untidy to show.

I did see a Jab at WOW Wagga a few years ago with the cowls off and the LAME there said that he always wraps insulation tape around the engine mount tubing before strapping wiring to them to protect the tubingfrom the nylon straps rubbing grooves in the tubes!

Regards Ross