Gazelle Drop

T500

Hi all

For the first time I decided to fold my wings back on my Gazelle (for road transport trailer)

as I have done so many times on the skyfox (tail wheel) without a problem,

Hence when the last wing was folded back the aircraft tipped onto is butt ,(giving my heart a couple of misses )049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif took two of us to get the plane onto its nose wheel ( it want stay on its nose:sad:without the weight of a couple of blocks of concret holding it down )

I have seen pictures of other Gazelles with their wings folded without a problem.

What went wrong?:confused:

Ps the tanks were empty

any one have any ideas??:)

happy flying

steve

Guest Decca

Steve, after you’ve folded the first wing & secured it with the stay to the tail, gently lower the a/c to its tail skid using the wing tip of the folded wing to control the descent. You don’t need much pressure, as long as you’ve got a good grip of the wing tip you will avoid any heart-stopping moments.

Similarly when unfolding, secure the first wing then holding the folded wing tip, raise the tail & the a/c will stay on the nose wheel while you unfold that wing. Easy. Have the main wheels chocked so it doesn’t get away from you of course.

Regards, Decca.

PS You can store a/c tail down or use a tail skid stand to keep it in a normal attitude. For maneuvering hold tail off ground manually supporting wing tips (one-man job) while pushing or pulling.

Limitations & instructions for wing folding are in POH. (eg max fuel 10litres each tank).

Guest brentc

I swear I responded to this yesterday but it's gone now.

Mine used to have about 15-18 kg's weight on the wing tips when the wings were folded. Shouldn't require 2 people to move around, although it can be a bit tricky on rough ground.

When you have the wings forward and you tip it on it's tail, does it want to stay there? Mine just balanced on the tail and a small amount of weight around 2kg's would tip it forward again.