Inspection hole for second fuel tank

Ron Hoey

Hi all,

I thought I would share an idea I used in my VG XL build.

The thought of cutting half a square metre from the bottom skin of each wing scared the heck out of me. Where to cut? Is it too close or too far from the rivets etc etc.

Then I remembered how well these aeroplanes are engineered.

All the rivet holes are the same distance apart and the same distance in from the edge. So, to measure the distance in from the edge to the cut line, all I had to do was cleco the inspection hatch on from the outside in and scribe a line along the edge.

This is the line along the main spar, with me marking the line for the cut. The altenative is to leave it in place as is and use it as a guide to cut along. [ATTACH]7373.vB[/ATTACH]

This is the line being scribed along the rib.[ATTACH]7374.vB[/ATTACH]

The bottom cut is just an extension of the original cut line.

P3150021.jpg.7a92997048a9ee59201e2979b2d4d12b.jpg

P3150020.jpg.6fd7fc35e6c9dfc188042b7a81206697.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi Ron,

I was wondering if you could give us a run-down of your experience with building the XL? I am still tossing up whether to build a Zenith or a Savannah and I'd like your idea of how well it goes together.

I heard from an owner who built a Savannah about 5-6 years ago that the build manual was written in half-intelligible Italian-English and "the only way to complete the plane was to ignore most of what is written and just study the drawings well". Is this still the case?

There isn't much choice really. If you want to spend a lot of time cutting and drilling then the 701 is for you, but if you want a kit that has everything laser cut and which fits together like a glove, then the Savannah is the way to go.

The instruction manual is still a pest, but there are so many resources available on the net together with the great group which frequent this site and finally, your supplier/agent if you chose carefully, to guide you through any difficulties.

I can put you on to a great agent in Oz who was always available and very helpful.

The Savannah is the way to go.

Ron

Guest terry

Hi Ron, Just a point needing correction. The zenith is also laser cut and pre drilled and the back up for zenith is excellent of late.

Regards Terry

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Eightynots,

I fell i have to jump in here. If it comes down to the choice of the Savy or the Zenith 701 go the Savy as it does have HEAPS more headroom. Being 6'4'' tall I tried to sit in a 701 the other day and could for the life of me not do it. My scone was pressed solidly against the roof and the neck was at an odd angle. This is no problem if you're small but if you happen to have a tall pax .. same applies. Then there is the bonus of the plane looking like a ballerina compared to the Zenith. People who knock the looks of a Savvy have obviously never seen a Zenith.... . Finally .. the Savvy has a slight edge in speed too.

fly safe

Walter

I think people who buy Savannahs and Zeniths usually are not highly excited over the looks but tend to focus more on utility and function. One thing I don't like about the looks of a Savannah is the 'corrugated iron' look of the fuselage ...something not found on the Zeniths.

However, I get the impression from a number of Zenith pilots that they don't enjoy the fuselage oil-canning.

And yes, Walter, one reason why I would be unable to get a CH-701 is the height restriction. I'm about 6' 4" and I could not go for a ride because the owner thought that the headphone band would scratch the plexiglass roof. I have heard of a seat-lowering mod but apparently the tall pilot feels like they are sitting on a nearly flat floor which is uncomfortable for anything longer than 3/4 hour.