Wings over Wagga Pictures

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

For those that couldn't make it... Roger's shiny new J230 LSA Jabiru.

Something a little different - a 2 cylinder Jab engine...

Something I would like to fly and own, but not put the fuel in... the RV10.

Carbon 3 blade prop on early model J200 Jabiru. $1,600 including GST and including aluminium spinner. You can get them finished painted in your favourite colour. Apparently slightly down on cruise, however other fringe benefits such as climb, noise and smoothness.

Typical weather shot from the whole weekend...

Less than "average" maintenance.

ClemBrown

G'day Clem,

Sorry I didn't see you there on the weekend. Met a few other blokes from the forum but not "Brownie".

Those pics look like Saturday. Is that when you were there?

Regards Geoff

Guest David C

Clem ,

Love the photos . The 3 bladed prop on the Jab really looked good . I didn't make it this year , but I have heard from a few sources that overall aircraft numbers were down on previous years , and that if it wasn't for RAA aircraft present it would have been quite a poor showing . As I said I wasn't there , but does this seem an accurate comment ? . Thanks again for the photos

Dave

Dave

I think it's fair to say that numbers were down a bit.

But it was blowing spitballs here and everywhere else in Area 22 on Fri & Sat, so I'm sure that some who had planned to fly in might have called it off and done the mowing.

It was blowing so hard, that I found my dog in Adelong .... and it was initiallychained up on Kapooka Hill. The dog tells me it never went below 500 ft all the way.

I thought the commercial displays were improved this year.

The parking was split between the area to the west of the GA area and the area near the new long hangar, so it looked less aircraft but if you wlked over to the 2nd area there were quite a few aircraft parked there that were not visible from the WOW area.

As usual the weather here, after most had departed, was terrific on Sunday, with barely 5 knts of breeze and much warmer.

Did you fly up or drive up Clem?Oh ... I see your pic so I assume thatyou flew. What was it like?

I might add that one of th scale Spitfires did a couple of terrific displays. No wonder they have a 14 month waiting list on the kits. Also the yellow Rotorway Chopper did a great display. I'd love to see more of that type of thing at these events.

Regards Geoff Captain

Guest Fred Bear

More pics to come later however my main PC has crashed and I need to rebuild it - still got the pictures though which is good. Damn virus.

Yep, I did fly there ina Jab. 2 hours from Melbourne via Albury. 1.5 from Moorabbin to Albury then around .5 to Wagga. Ground speed around 140-150knots Trip home around 2 hours and 15 minutes. Very bumpy all weekend.

The Spitty was good, although his display could have possibly been a little illegaland when the Rotorways engine went back to idle for his autorotation nobody looked because they know one way or another Rotorway engines stop eventually.

ClemBrown

Great Pics Clem - I particularly like your first one!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I would have loved to get across to meet you all but it wasnt to be....

....plus with my inexperience I am happy just to cruise around YNAR for a few weeks getting the details down pat. I spent most of Sunday with the guys doing circuts and generally getting a feel for the aircraft.

However once I have all the fine tuning tucked away I would love to do a few weekend trips and catch up with everyone.

Guest Fred Bear

What do you think Aeroflot does overseas? A little gaff tape fixes anything!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif;) Are you sure that GA aircraft was still flying or just rotting there?

Could not find any info on the jab 2 cylinder enginedoes anyone know the weight?

Thanks

I didn't catch the weight, but I did see severe vibration while being run up. Looked very unbalanced.

Here's a photo with Mr Corby himself giving it a whirl.

[ATTACH]440[/ATTACH]

I have some other pics if anyone is interested.

I flew up on Sunday morning from Cooma in perfect conditions (although it was -7 degrees when I got to the airfield) in Adrian's Jabiru with Ian's Corby Starlet on our wing the whole way.

Not quite so smooth coming home at lunchtime - everybody left Wagga pretty early so we did too.

This was my 1st ultralight flight (only microlights, gliders and hang-gliders before) and it was absolutely awesome.

I will be starting lessons in the Jab ASAP.

Ross

20061101_011456_halfJab.JPG.970c34c33b9ff5e6f551d2c48e04868e.JPG

RogerHow did you find the 230 after the other J's that you have flown?

Regards Geoff

Hi Geoff

A couple of things come to mind not necessarily positive or negative, just observations:

Landing - If you have any less then 60kts before you flare the aircraft will sink very quickly. Coming in with a trickle of throttle tends to counter it nicely. Just about everyone who has flown it so far has commented on it. If you do happen to get caught the aircraft responds instantly to power.

Cruising - this is where it shines! It just wants to fly. It sits well and doesnt seem to be as affected by turbulence as much as the other Jabs or even the Tecnam for that matter. It easily manages the advertised 120kts at around 2800rpm with fuel and 200kgs of humans.

The Dynon D100 - is a magic piece of gear - we ended up going for the brighter screen and with the new firmware released this week will couple with the gps to give us more info then we know what to do with!

If I was going to be picky I would say that the doors (just the way you have to open & close them) and the seats (no adjustment and hard as bricks) would be two areas I suggest Jabiru could improve. But hey I am not complaining keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

All in all I think we/you made a very good choice - you just need to put in a few 28 hour days and get yours flying now 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Jabiru have a 2 cylinder engine in their workshop which I am told was a prototype for the 1600cc engines but I had a good look at the one you have on film and it appears to me to be a cut down 2.2. The rear cylinders were not cut for in the block and the fuel pump was moved forward so basicalli it must be a 1.1 engine.

I was only at Wagga for Friday and left shortly after it arrived. It was good to see 8 Corby Starlets, some in much smarter finish than mine, but a pity I missed John Corby.

The Rotec engines took me back as I worked on radials 50 years ago in the army, we had them in landing craft. Lovely to hear the start up with the usual popping and banging, plus plenty of smoke.

Ian