Flying in Africa

Hi all,

The following is a message posted on a Yahoo group list.

(I hope the bloke doesn't mind me shifting it over here.):

Hi all, I'm not a very regular contributor (or communicator) but I thought some might be interested in an update from an Aussie flying in Africa.

I have arrived here in Zambia to resume flying at Batoka Sky, which conducts scenic flights above Victoria Falls and nearby national parks of the Zambezi river system, along with flight instruction It's good to be back again, I did 2 years from 06 till late in 07, and first flew here in 1995 just 2 years after the company first started doing flights here.

After the usual delays in validating my Australian license and getting the work permit I'm back flying the French DTA and Aero Cobra / 912 Trikes and again "working" daily above the biggest waterfall in the world, (volume).We also do game viewing flights and some film work which involves formation flying , mainly for documentary film makers from all over the globe.

When above the Falls we operate in controlled airspace in a special area, which straddles the Zimbabwe/ Zambian border,(the Zambezi River),from 1500'AGL up to 2500', and is 2NM in Dia, With just 200 feet vertical separation between 5 levels of rotary and various fixed wing aircraft , it can be a very busy piece of airspace, as we arrange our own separation, it takes some time to develop a mental map of each aircraft in the area, by either call sign or voice, and the pattern that each is holding to enable you to make the correct decent when a lower craft vacates ,(you soon get the hint to descend when a Eurocopter closes to within 100 feet above).

We also take photographs of the aircraft/pax and scenery from digital wing mounted camera, the images are burnt to CD upon landing.

There are 3 other air operators permitted within the special area, running fixed wing and rotary, our company operates 3 choppers as well as the 4 mocrolights, from a dirt strip just 2 miles from the Falls.

We are not yet near the peak tourist season but even now we are doing over 50 hours each per month, busy days are quiet tiring after 12 or so 15 or 30 minute flights in the morning and another 8 in the late afternoon, 3 trikes work on a busy day., and with the predominant winds coming from the North East our main runway (11) gives us good cross wind experience, compounded by turbulence from the high forest on 2 sides of the aerodrome, sometimes we cancel flights if the windsock goes stiff or if it is gusting well above horizontal, or when an isolated storm cell is closing in, the study of local micro meteorology is very important here.

Other challenges come when Elephants decide to cross the runway (or linger as they are prone to do), our brave ground crew have to try to usher them along as we orbit above waiting to land, much to the wonder of our pax, baboons are a problem also, they squat on the runway to dig up roots and are oblivious to the dangers. Anyway that's a rough guide to this microlight activity in Zambia, will mail again through the year.

Regards John Henshall.

A bit too much pressure for me I think ;).

Regards Bill