1500 + hr 912s bush service..............

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Just returned from one of my outback jaunts to service one of my regular SS4 mustering Storches, as a Level 2. This is an aircraft that does 2-4 hours or more everyday (200+ a year), in dusty, hot conditions and generally is landed anywhere. The owner called me yesterday and said it's a new aircraft, and they don't waste words in the bush. The aircraft and engine has now over 1500 hours, and I am hoping to share with you what it actually took to keep this aircraft and engine reliable, for the next 500 hrs. It should be interesting for 912 users, and Storch owners.

I have another one out there that did well over 2000hrs on the engine, before we renewed it, and that Storch airframe is now approaching 3000+ hours.

My own 912s in the Lightwing which has just come out of a 400 hrly, purveyed me across over 600 NM of mongrel snake and Dingo country without a murmor, as only a good 912 can. (That'll stir up the Jab drivers !) So if anyone is actually interested, I'll put it all on site in the next few days, when the time is available........................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

So if anyone is actually interested, I'll put it all on site in the next few days, when the time is available...

Well I won't stop Ya...:thumb_up:

as only a good 912 can. (That'll stir up the Jab drivers !) 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Don't ya mean glider pilots, I reckon that Jab pilots should be given glider endorsements as by the end of their time in a Jab they should have more skills at gliding than most:cool:

U really don't like the jabs do ya fellas...thumb_down...I'll meet ya's at narromine, we'll do a count, jabs vs evrything else combined...$10 says theres more jabs...;)...

Ps, im coming in a cherokee, just to be different...006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

, we'll do a count, jabs vs evrything else combined...$10 says theres more jabs...;)......006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Theres more commodores than Audi's at the shops to, doesn't mean they are better:laugh:

The owner called me yesterday and said it's a new aircraft, and they don't waste words in the bush. The aircraft and engine has now over 1500 hours,I have another one out there that did well over 2000hrs on the engine, before we renewed it. .024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

G`Day Maj,

Have these engines had any failures in flight?.

Cheers,

Frank.

Guest Maj Millard

Only when they put fuel in with plenty of water in it Frank. Otherwise none mechanically that they've let me in on anyway. I'll be up to see you soon, ok..............Cheers 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Theres more commodores than Audi's at the shops to, doesn't mean they are better:laugh:

Well yes and NO... ya comma brakes down and ya'll get the part the next day... The Howdy...err...Audi does the same... and yeah, you might as well go and buy another car by the time the part turns up...not to mention the cost..!

Don't worry, most of our vehicles are European.... except the Holden...

Guest brentc

Plenty of 912's out there have failed. Cracked crankcases, broken crankshafts, blown hoses, carby problems, stator issues, ignition failures, no engine is immune!

Guest Orion

Watch out.

Nobody should suggest that a Jabiru isn't gods gift to recreational aviation lest they suffer the wrath of the offended Jabiru owner.

The Wallabies & Kangaroo's would be proud of the effort in defense put in by the average Jabiru jockey.

Methinks they protesteth far too much.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Like I said before, you don't see many Jabs earning thier keep every day in the bush. But there are a lot of high time 912s out there doing a few hard, hot, hours each and every day. Not my view...Fact !!..................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I know a mechanic who put a new set of rings in a 912 at 2400hrs and did a hand lap of the valves. Just recently, now at 5400hrs, he put in the second set of rings and again only hand lapped the valves. He could measure some wear in the bore, but still within specs, no valve guide wear, valves in good condition. The engine is in a gyro doing mustering, so would be running at full power much of that time. Now it's out there again, working full time and shooting for 7000hrs!

JohnG

Guest Maj Millard

The 912 bore which is Nikasil, cannot be rebored, and is as hard as chrome. It is still a secret swiss patented process. Hirth had it also (before Rotax) as did BMWs, and the whole cylinder is all aluminum (no steel liner), so you get the best heat transfer away from the heat source . Alum has the best coefficient of heat transfer, which is also why the use it for pots and frying pans.

912 pistons are Cima Mahle German forged alumumin, and the same quality and brand as used in Porches and other exotics. They are also balanced to within a couple of grams at manufacture. Rings are nothing fancy, straight square cut as per VW. 'Keep it simple stupid' for the item that does the most work.....................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

[quote=Maj

My own 912s in the Lightwing which has just come out of a 400 hrly, purveyed me across over 600 NM of mongrel snake and Dingo country without a murmor, as only a good 912 can. (That'll stir up the Jab drivers !)

How many razor blades did you need, Ross?? They tell me that you have aged somewhat since you started the trip.

John:clap: