• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
Sign in to follow this  
planedriver

Interesting article on Alcock and Brown.

Too right, Planey.

These heroes are almost forgotten, yet should be right up there with Columbus and Neil Armstrong.

Quite apart from their sheer guts and endurance, it was an amazing feat of navigation in atrocious conditions.

• Like 1

Great article but I also find it amazing that the Brits don’t look to make more of their achievements especially in Manchester where these guys were from.

I recently visited Manchester and the Air & Science Museum was closed for renovations. Completely by chance I discovered the Avro Exihibition near Manchester Airport on what’s left of the old Woodford Aerodrome. It transpires that all the Lancaster’s were assembled there and it’s the birthplace of the Vulcan which is another great story.

The teacher said "no, Jimmy, it wasn't Sammy Davis Junior and it wasn't Nat King Cole. It was Alcock and Brown who flew the Atlantic".

Jimmy says "I knew it was something like that."

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I nearly put a reference to Sammy Davis Junior in my original post PMC, but refrained because these are respectable forums. :wink:

Edited by Guest

I've been to the landing site. It’s a bog. They did really well to get down with the damage they did in such a big machine.