• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in

Hi folks! 

Some might recall that for a few years now I’ve been hoping to establish my own airstrip. It seemed a bit of a pipe dream for a while, then I went through about a year of approvals process then got sign off for necessary land clearing. It’s kinda a long process and one day I should write it all down to guide others. 

Then trying to line up somebody to do the actually work also turned into a drama. Just before he was due to start work,  my friendly local contractor blew the motor on his dozer and so couldn’t do the job. But luckily he put me onto another local fella, who has turned out to be a really nice bloke. Contracting is a cutthroat game at the best of times, but with the mines all slowed down there are some unscrupulous characters around. 

Anyway,  for the last last couple of days our new friend has been doing magnificent work at the site about a kilometre away along the escarpment from our house. Each  morning, my wife the dog and I have strolled over to take a look at progress ( and the dog has been slinking back and forth intermittently through the day to keep an eye on things. He’s the boss of this country).

And it’s taking shape. It’s gonna be a great strip.  But it really breaks my heart to clear so much beautiful old growth tropical forest. You can clear a couple of hectares in a day, but it takes a thousand years to properly re-establish. We are keeping all the timber pushed aside and piled as ‘habitat’. Our contractor is like us,  a nature lover, and so is being as careful and as sensitive in the clearing as he can be. He told us yesterday about  once stopping his 65 tonne dozer to climb  down and remove a King Brown snake from a log  pile -by hand!- in order to avoid crushing it. 

So we’re hoping the initial clearing will be completed by the end of today. Thereafter we have been told  it needs spraying, rolling and grading.  We will seek further advice on this, because basically it’s just a bush strip ane getting a roller up here could be a challenge.  The grading  should make it useable.  Next I need to get in a windsock, strip markers and a hangar and a a little shade structure for fuel drums.

We are calling it Robin Falls International.  Sounds grand,  eh? 

Alan

• Like 4
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 1

Posted (edited)

So I threw up a drone yesterday to have a poke around and see how the strip's looking. I'll try attach a pic here. The cleared area is 60m width by 750m length so probably sufficient for many RAA and some GA aircraft. It seems huge when I walk it at ground level.

Its gonna be a great bush strip with  basic faciliaties situated in a wonderful part of the country.

DJI_0008.JPG

Edited by NT5224
  • Like 4

looks inviting, just hope nobody tries to land there before it is safe,

• Agree 1

Looking good, there, NT5224. I love that region around Adelaide River/Pine Creek, and remember camping overnight in our motorhome at Robin Falls back in July 2007 or 2008 (have to check the diary on exact year).

Absolutely stunningly beautiful spot, wasn't crowded either, we virtually had it to ourselves. 

I thought you could've maybe found a WW2 airstrip, and upgraded it?  :cheezy grin: Bit of a shame so many of those great WW2 airstrips along the Stuart are abandoned, and returning to the jungle.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Looking good, there, NT5224. I love that region around Adelaide River/Pine Creek, and remember camping overnight in our motorhome at Robin Falls back in July 2007 or 2008 (have to check the diary on exact year).

Absolutely stunningly beautiful spot, wasn't crowded either, we virtually had it to ourselves. 

I thought you could've maybe found a WW2 airstrip, and upgraded it?  :cheezy grin: Bit of a shame so many of those great WW2 airstrips along the Stuart are abandoned, and returning to the jungle.

Thanks  for compliments on our district  onetrack. Although are post code 'Robin Falls' (no post though obviously!) ,   our house is about 30km from the place you camped at ,  -up on top of the escarpment. Flyng is the obvious way to get in.  

Would have loved to have brought a WW2 strip  back to to life. Trouble is, we don't have one on our property. They didnt build them up in the high country.  

Alan

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎8‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:30 AM, Yenn said:

looks inviting, just hope nobody tries to land there before it is safe,

Well pointed out @Yenn! My wife and I are about to go overseas for two weeks leaving the as-yet-unfinished strip unserviceable. You'd have to be a complete idiot to attempt to land, because there are huge piles of earth and deep holes easily visible to even a cursory fly-over.

But for additional peace of mind, I went out yesterday arvo and pegged down  two big white crosses at touch down points at each end of the strip.

Now you'd have to be a complete idiot and bloody-minded  to attempt to land....

Alan

Edited by NT5224
  • Like 2
  • Winner 1