Jump to content
  • Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
carmoda

Private Commuter Aircraft Suggestions

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

He already lists that.. In Vic /Tas region in winter you will get icing and it's just not safe to fly for quite long periods ( Days ) over any high country IFR without effective de icing. The only thing that will give you that is an executive jet. Citation, Lear etc  Nev

Depending on his location in Tasmania and his location in Queensland there may not be much high country involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KRviator said:

I didn't know it till last night, but they've now got a DA62 now, and doesn't it look niiiice! Still has diesel engines too!

Wouldn't a single-engine turboprop be better value for money, safer and easier to fly? Even if it was more expensive? Dislcaimer: not buying either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

Wouldn't a single-engine turboprop be better value for money, safer and easier to fly? Even if it was more expensive? Dislcaimer: not buying either. 

Yep, a Kodiak or Caravan would be great, but the up front price is between $1 and 2 million.

Warren Buffet doesn’t own a Corporate Jet any more. He just bought an executive jet company and rents one to himself when he needs it.

A really well managed corporate/ charter aircraft is working 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, and that’s how they amortize the cost.

As someone mentioned, this is an RA site so not a lot of GA operations experience, but some good advice has come up nevertheless. Another option is opportunism. I had to fix a warranty problem on a new truck in Kununurra one time. The call came in on Friday afternoon.   On Monday morning the Darwin dealer called me to say he’d fixed the problem. He’d taken his tool box and hopped a ride with a ****** staff plane taking crews to work on the Sunday. They dropped him off, delivered the crew then picked him up on the way back. Cost $0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If looking at a DA62 have a look at a second hand piper meridian from about 2005-2010...... Yes it wont be new but faster, easier to fly and more comfortable for the passengers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, turboplanner said:

Yep, a Kodiak or Caravan would be great, but the up front price is between $1 and 2 million.

Warren Buffet doesn’t own a Corporate Jet any more. He just bought an executive jet company and rents one to himself when he needs it.

A really well managed corporate/ charter aircraft is working 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, and that’s how they amortize the cost.

As someone mentioned, this is an RA site so not a lot of GA operations experience, but some good advice has come up nevertheless. Another option is opportunism. I had to fix a warranty problem on a new truck in Kununurra one time. The call came in on Friday afternoon.   On Monday morning the Darwin dealer called me to say he’d fixed the problem. He’d taken his tool box and hopped a ride with a ****** staff plane taking crews to work on the Sunday. They dropped him off, delivered the crew then picked him up on the way back. Cost $0

 

1 to 2 million would be the price of a DA62, if a new Cirrus 22 is almost a million. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  There's plenty of experience operating DC 3's, Bristols etc  out of Essendon on the Tassie route  encountering icing  and I've had it near Albury on a normal winter's day. Nev

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, facthunter said:

 If the runway is wet and sealed your lights won't show much. With a light mist you may  have the required range of vis but with the lights on some milkiness may happen and not be helpful..  Some planes have a high dash and you need a bit of illumination  out the side to help  . Runway lights usually will be enough and you should be familiar and trained to use just them..Nev

The Victorian GAF's today show the freezing level as low as 3,500'. Something to seriously consider when they're also indicating -SHRA and TSRAGS is do you need FIKI capability, or can the trip be postponed or rerouted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some great suggestions thank you.

 

Thruster88; the friend was in GA insurance. he passed away from cancer a short while ago. his concerns were based on the high cost of replacement, repairs and the frequency they got damaged. it wasn't a personal dislike, he wasn't a pilot. 

 

facthunter: All the planes I have looked into have deicing options, its great to hear you also think i need to look at that capability flying down south. I wasn't sure. 

 

KRviator, Downunder: yes, l especially like the Diamond offerings although I am concerned about the Chinese by-out. I have seen so many businesses ruined by US and Chinese takeovers. Particularly loss of quality. 

 

If i wasn't so freaked out by the operating expenses and the stupendous price tag i'd get a PC12 or TBM.  I think in reality it'll be a low hour DA62 or 42. I am always happy to spend more upfront to avoid high deprecation and operating expenses. its a business purchase although not operating commercially, no paying customers or cargo etc. I am a novice, I am interested in avoiding travelling with the general public not so much the grandeur of aviation. Insurance and fuel will be the killers. I can takeoff and land on tarmac. There are good airfields near both my home bases, the unimproved strips is a wish list item.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/07/2019 at 1:09 PM, carmoda said:

some great suggestions thank you.

 

If i wasn't so freaked out by the operating expenses and the stupendous price tag i'd get a PC12 or TBM.  I think in reality it'll be a low hour DA62 or 42. 

The Cirrrus has equal or better performance than the DA42 which has almost no SE performance. Insurance and maintenance on the single fixed gear Cirrus has to be way lower. A Cirrus australis would be so cool but would not stroke your ego like the twin retactable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thruster88, I am aware the SR22/SR22T is better performing. That's kind of their appeal. And there are plenty about. I did mention up front that I am not going to consider one. And i will not.  I am not an enthusiast or concerned about being faster or looking cool. I just want a flying Toyota Landcruiser. Low ToC and reliable in all weather.  Currently I am considering a low hour DA40 as an interim option, perhaps going to a DA62 or refurbished PC12 later. Nothing set in stone.

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 You are getting into weather concerns. I've plenty of personal experience with icing in non pressurised aircraft that cruise at low levels across Bass straight in winter and there's the Hail issue also near Casino, West of Sydney and Goulburn and the Cullerin Ranges near Canberra and near Orange to name a few areas. Do these aircraft have weather radar? If you are doing it at night a would consider some means of weather detection and avoidance essential.  as I've also had a few lightning strikes and a  friend who has written off a plane in hail... Doing it in a jet is a lot easier as you can get over and avoid weather  better and usually is better de iced and NO props.. Nev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, carmoda said:

Thruster88, I am aware the SR22/SR22T is better performing. That's kind of their appeal. And there are plenty about. I did mention up front that I am not going to consider one. And i will not.  I am not an enthusiast or concerned about being faster or looking cool. I just want a flying Toyota Landcruiser.

They are both leaders in their market segment 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

facthunter: yes, i would ideally like a PC12 for those very reasons. They are as you will know very pricey CapEx and OpEx. 

Thruster88:  Yes. Cirrus is a Epic product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later for your post to be seen If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...