Jump to content
  • Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in

Recommended Posts

Copy the birds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kaz3g said:

Copy the birds

I tried that when I was about 4...I was unsuccessful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, M61A1 said:

I tried that when I was about 4...I was unsuccessful.

What did you break?

 

i broke a tooth because my knee buckled and hit me in the chin...but I grew another one 🤭

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kaz3g said:

What did you break?

 

i broke a tooth because my knee buckled and hit me in the chin...but I grew another one 🤭

 

 

I never broke anything trying to fly.

I spent considerable time making my wings that attached to my arms, with my grandfather constantly over my shoulder "It'll never work".

I wouldn't believe him until I had established that for myself.

I didn't jump off anything with them. I just ran down the hill flapping my wings until I was tired.

In hindsight, I had way too little wing area.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, M61A1 said:

 

 

I never broke anything trying to fly.

I spent considerable time making my wings that attached to my arms, with my grandfather constantly over my shoulder "It'll never work".

I wouldn't believe him until I had established that for myself.

I didn't jump off anything with them. I just ran down the hill flapping my wings until I was tired.

In hindsight, I had way too little wing area.

 

I jumped off the laundry roof with kite made from cane, brown paper and string, and a tea towel for a parachute.

 

i was 7 and my mum was in hospital having babies so my dear old nan was looking after me. She got such a fright she gave me a paddling.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, kaz3g said:

I jumped off the laundry roof with kite made from cane, brown paper and string, and a tea towel for a parachute.

 

i was 7 and my mum was in hospital having babies so my dear old nan was looking after me. She got such a fright she gave me a paddling.

I tried bed sheets for parachutes, usually off the water tanks which were close to gutter height. I wrecked my mum's umbrella doing that.

I did find that I could get a reasonable glide laying on top of a sheet of masonite. Too much AoA and you would backslide, which wasn't as bad as negative AoA which would tuck under.

Edited by M61A1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a dog can fly on a sheet of corrugated iron off the back of a Ute. Ask me how!

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I watched my SIL's female Blue Heeler fly out of the back of the ute when she (dog) snapped at a passing branch on a bush track, and got too good a bite on it!! She just went - ZIP! - straight out!

We were doing about 60kmh at the time, and she hit the track, unhurt - tried to stand up and start running - but she fell over, because her body was still doing 60kmh, and her legs were only doing 20kmh!

She did that about 3 times, before she slowed down enough, to be able to get her legs going at the rate her body was going at!

Meantimes, we were rolling about in the ute, killing ourselves with laughter. We stopped, and she jumped back in with a sheepish look, and didn't snap at any passing branches again, for a couple of days! :cheezy grin:

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, M61A1 said:

I tried bed sheets for parachutes, usually off the water tanks which were close to gutter height. I wrecked my mum's umbrella doing that.

I did find that I could get a reasonable glide laying on top of a sheet of masonite. Too much AoA and you would backslide, which wasn't as bad as negative AoA which would tuck under.

I don’t like the sound of that -ve angle of attack...I imagine your head was at severe risk!

 

at least I landed on my undercarriage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kaz3g said:

I don’t like the sound of that -ve angle of attack...I imagine your head was at severe risk!

 

at least I landed on my undercarriage.

That was the cue do kick it away and bail, or at least slide back to change the CoG. Weightshift flying. :thumb up:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's get back on topic gentlemen.  As amusing as reminiscing about our childhood experiences may be, they provide more heat than light on the subject.   How to Fly is the topic, which shouldn't be that difficult to explain, for experienced pilots at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

12 minutes ago, Manwell said:

they provide more heat than light on the subject

I disagree.... They were my first experiences of "feeling" the airflow and trying to control inputs accordingly.

  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accepted M61.  Develop that line of thought so we might learn something about how to fly we didn't already know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manwell, this thread is intresting and should be developed without input from the  nay sayers. J

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And so we might learn something about the group we didn't already know .... not all of us are gentlemen.  😉 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very few, in all likelihood, Garfly, but ya gotta be optimistic... 😉   Ladies too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The very vague question has been used by at least one instructor that I have encountered.

I think the idea was to ask a question vague enough so that whatever You answered you were wrong and the instructor would then enlighten you. 

I think the question needs to be more defined.

to become airborne, lift must exceed gravity. If it doesn’t you’re not flying.

There are quite a few different ways to do this though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont consider projectiles and rockets to be flying, or cricket balls. Flight involves aerofoils.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

I dont consider projectiles and rockets to be flying, or cricket balls. Flight involves aerofoils.

 

And that’s why the question needs to be more defined. Rockets and missiles usually have control surfaces. They fly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cherk said:

keep the Blue on top and the Brown on the bottom !

Even that's arguable, comrade ....

 

130404mig2.thumb.jpg.b8f09838b1de4adaaa58f73b6845719f.jpgOriginal-MiG-Artificial-Horizon-Attitude-Indicator-AGI-1-Cockpit-_1.thumb.jpg.9bef4f0f554c16087557e4450d60a89b.jpg

 

 

"The Soviet-era attitude indicator is the opposite—brown on top and blue on the bottom. That could spell disaster for an unfamiliar pilot trying to recover from an unusual attitude in instrument meteorological conditions."

 

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2013/april/04/mig-15-flying-the-enemy-fighter

 

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

I dont consider projectiles and rockets to be flying, or cricket balls. Flight involves aerofoils.

 

How would describe a jet pack? I would consider that flying using thrust vectoring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later for your post to be seen If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...