• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
red750

Gliding aficionados - help wanted

Posted (edited)

A couple of years ago I was given a large supply of aircraft colour slides, unlabelled,  which included the four
below. I have disregarded these until now, but feel they could be included in the aircraft showcase. What I need to know, if you can help, is the make and model of these gliders - I know nothing about gliders. I am guessing the first two photos are the same machine.

Glider 1 Edwin van Apstal.JPG  Glider 2 Edwin van Apstal.JPG  Glider 3 Edwin van Apstal.JPG  Glider 4 Edwin van Apstal.JPG

Edited by red750

GG looks like a Bocian to me.. wood construction, long narrow wings and the elevated rear seat are markers.

“28” looks like a Mini-Nimbus (Janus)

Yes...I couldn’t make up my mind in no.3 even though I flew one a bit. Long while ago now, 40 years.

Not a Bocian... wrong tail, cockpit and cranked wing. Not sure what it is though

2 hours ago, Mike Borgelt said:

I think the first glider is a french aircraft called a Wassmer Bijave, the second is a Schempp Hirth Janus and the last is a Grob 103 Twin 2.

Yep, here's the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wassmer_WA-30_Bijave

Thanks Mike

i flew the Bocian when instructing at Euroa but that was 40 years ago. It gave an audible sigh when you entered its very gentle spin.