• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
red750

NSW Boeing 737 Fire Bomber

The ADF have helped in previous emergencies where they have expertise, even if it is only helping clean up after the floods. We cannot expect them to take on a job such as fire fighting with no training. If we consider that their role is as a back up for emergency responders, we should get them trained first.

Pete, I never implied any such judgement but I think it's far more risky than most appreciate. We get some croppies breaking up and plenty of heavies do too overseas., fairly regularly. I personally don't think they are strong enough to put up with what's thrown at them. Bombers and civil airline/military transports are not built to high  load factors and OLDER stuff has lots of hours and that makes them even more suspect as far as the structure is concerned. As far as bombing goes they don't drop bombs from 100 feet  flying along a descending ridge with  flames all around them in severe turbulence. They do it from the stratosphere at minus 60 degrees in smooth air and the bombs are guided  or set up and aimed very precisely. I wouldn't ask anyone to do this sort of work. I can't think of anything much more dangerous than this..Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, nomadpete said:

Nev, it sounds like you are suggesting that our military pilots are not as skilled/brave as our contract private crop duster pilots, who are presently bombing the fires by flying airtractors at low level in turbulent Smokey, hot air.

I would hope that our military pilots have had some training in the art of bombing !  😉

I'd reckon those contract Ag Pilots aren't doing everything with a 5 x 5 risk matrix. Since the ADF took up civilian style OH&S things have got much worse for your average military aviator.

I don't think most of them would have a problem doing it, just that no one wants to put their name on the document that approved it in case things go tits up.

• Agree 1

As it most likely will to some extent. It's fraught with hazards and the equipment is far above the old airliners in value.. abbott ran the hours out of the Allison props in the Orions looking for (votes er.. a plane ) MH 370.  There's a lovely Orion at HARS set up just as if it's ready to a sea search..Nev

• Informative 1