• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in

Thinking of fitting a tcas , warnings are displayed on the gps , I don’t have a transponder fitted, we have a lot of international students flying around locally and can be hard to figure out where they are exactly, any thoughts ?

A TCAS would be very very expensive, I assume he means a dongle to display traffic on a EFB. They still require the other aircraft to have a transponder (sqwarking ALT). 

2 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

A TCAS would be very very expensive, I assume he means a dongle to display traffic on a EFB. They still require the other aircraft to have a transponder (sqwarking ALT). 

I haven’t heard of those either, where does one acquire the thing and would it work with a Dynon Skyview?

Just now, derekliston said:

I haven’t heard of those either, where does one acquire the thing and would it work with a Dynon Skyview?

They are described on ozrunways and probably avplan websites 

18 minutes ago, derekliston said:

I think they only display aircraft with ADSB out (mode S) transponders, required for IFR flight. GA aircraft with older mode C transponders can only be see by a TCAS system. I hope I have this right.  

I have ADSB out but I doubt whether too many other VFR aeroplanes around have it yet so the dongle probably wouldn’t be much help!

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

I think they only display aircraft with ADSB out (mode S) transponders, required for IFR flight. GA aircraft with older mode C transponders can only be see by a TCAS system. I hope I have this right.  

That how I see it too.

New vfr aircraft would have mode S/adsb-out also.....(I have mode S/adsb-out in my rec rego aircraft)

I monitor "flight radar" for adsb paints as my android ozrunways won't work with the adsb-in dongle....

It's good for picking up rfds flying into country strips. ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think it’s a receiver which then Bluetooths it to a gps , Garmin area 660 , aircraft will come up on the screen 

5 hours ago, rhtrudder said:

Thinking of fitting a tcas , warnings are displayed on the gps , I don’t have a transponder fitted, we have a lot of international students flying around locally and can be hard to figure out where they are exactly, any thoughts ?

I'm with you! There is a crying need for a reliable, inexpensive, universal TCAS system.

Yonks ago, during discussion about updating all the primary radar installations, there was a proposal that it would be cheaper and more effective to give a free standard traffic transponder to every aeroplane. 

OzRunways and AvPlan have each developed their own traffic system, but they don't intermesh.

That's surely what our publicly-funded regulator should be co-ordinating. 

• Agree 3

On 19/08/2019 at 10:20 PM, Old Koreelah said:

I'm with you! There is a crying need for a reliable, inexpensive, universal TCAS system.

Yonks ago, during discussion about updating all the primary radar installations, there was a proposal that it would be cheaper and more effective to give a free standard traffic transponder to every aeroplane. 

OzRunways and AvPlan have each developed their own traffic system, but they don't intermesh.

That's surely what our publicly-funded regulator should be co-ordinating. 

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/tailbeacon-gets-stc/

The technology is getting cheap enough. It would only cost the government about $25M to equip all the non IFR aircraft in oz, added bonus they could keep an eye us.😎 Owners could fit ADSB in at their discretion $500? 

2 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/tailbeacon-gets-stc/

The technology is getting cheap enough. It would only cost the government about $25M to equip all the non IFR aircraft in oz, added bonus they could keep an eye us.😎 Owners could fit ADSB in at their discretion $500? 

IT's a UAT transponder, not 1090ES system, so it will only work in the USA, nowhere else in the world.

Depending on your interpretation - well, the FOI you'll end up arguing with, really - you can use the authority granted by CASR 21.470 to utilise the Dynon/Garmin GPS antenna to provide a position source for their ADS-B transponders. That rule basically says "If it's approved elsewhere, it's approved here too", with the FAA coming out and approving the Dynon et al, in writing. And the Pommy CAA has come out and said their GPS' perform better than the likes of the Garmin 430W's, ironically...

• Informative 1

I use Oz Runways along with an ADSB receiver. Other Oz Runways users ID shows up as light blue circle and those aircraft with ADSB display as a dark blue circle. Works well for minimum cost

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 minutes ago, ev17ifly2 said:

I use Oz Runways along with an ADSB receiver. Other Oz Runways users ID shows up as light blue circle and those aircraft with ADSB display as a dark blue circle. Works well for minimum cost

Yes but you are only seeing  about 25% ? Of the total traffic,  untill we have a common system it is only a better than nothing but not the complete package. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Yes but you are only seeing  about 25% ? Of the total traffic,  untill we have a common system it is only a better than nothing but not the complete package. 

You’re right, but this coupled with a radio and my eyeballs it’s the best I can do.  

real tcas system can pick up mode C and mode S (adsb) aircraft but not non transponder equipped.

Ozrunways uses a receiver to pick up close adsb out aircraft.

Avplan has mobile data supplied adsb out aircraft AND can use a reciever to supplement that info and provide input in nonmobile coverage areas.

Is that pretty much how it is?

AIUI, in the presence of cellular coverage, OzRunways sends its' position to a private server owned by OzR that then broadcasts nearby OzRunways users back to you, in addition to using an ADS-B reciever for Mode-S equipped aircraft. This is how you can track OzR aircraft on the web