• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
Bruce Tuncks

Jabiru rescues Rotax plane

I canot believe the BS being written here, the aircraft had a major defect and can only be repaired  IAW manufactures procedures .as per usual here everybody has an opinion  about illegal  repairs an then complain about the authorities wanting to inflict  more regulations .l do know the facts because i am the engineer who said the aircraft could not be flown facts which i will not share on a forum with people in whos aircraft i would not fly in if they are maintained by the metods descibed

Mick W

• Like 1

You put on some superglue, then sprinkle some baking soda on it quickly, which sets instantly. Shake or blow off the excess powder, add more superglue, and repeat. Build up the thickness and shape you want. It will repair metal, plastic or wood and gives a high strength. As I said, I don’t know how it works. It is probably most useful on plastic, as I have used JB Weld successfully on metal in the past. it would be interesting to hear if anyone has done strength or durability testing on the superglue method. There are many YouTube videos showing applications. BTW I don’t advocate using it on aircraft, but have used it on a car.

Edited by pmccarthy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ruffasguts said:

I canot believe the BS being written here, the aircraft had a major defect and can only be repaired  IAW manufactures procedures .as per usual here everybody has an opinion  about illegal  repairs an then complain about the authorities wanting to inflict  more regulations .l do know the facts because i am the engineer who said the aircraft could not be flown facts which i will not share on a forum with people in whos aircraft i would not fly in if they are maintained by the metods descibed

Mick W

I do believe all the alternative repaire methods discussed was just a bit of light hearted fun. Was the leak caused by manufacturer defect, FOD, or installation, rubbing, fatigue crack etc.  

Refer to your own post 40. Certainly reads like you are giving advice. 

Mick W

1 hour ago, ruffasguts said:

Refer to your own post 40. Certainly reads like you are giving advice. 

Mick W

I was referring to turbo's post about the bush mechanics, I did used the word bush.😀 To suggest that aircraft should be held together with glue is ludicrous. 

Edited by Thruster88
  • Like 1

In truth, anyone offering a paid service (LAME) is bound by Australian legal responsibility requirements/standards - no doubt this may/should result in safer flying BUT will also result in higher cost and risk avoidance (by the book) behaviour - just a  human response.

Take the responsibility out of the equation and other (non regulation) fixes may be possible.