• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
old man emu

I told the wife I'm playing golf

The video claims that the Cherokee is stable because it has a low centre of gravity. Surely the COG must be relative to the wings. A 172 has a low COG and is stable because of pendulum effect, a Piper needs a lot of dihedral for stability.

I wouldn't get too excited about the theories and claims of those days;  the US manufacturers were trying to convert people into believing flying was as simple as getting in, turning the key on and being 600 miles away in 4 hours.  In Australia Arthur Schutt used to fly in to any farm that had decent size paddocks and try to sell the owner a Cessna.

• Like 2

The joint Advertising/PR budget between Cessna and Piper was to get families into the air.

The "edge" between them was high wing vs low wing - the message being "you can get to all these exotic destinations easier and faster by air; Oh and btw you can wear a hat in our high wing design, see better etc.

Towards the end of this era, when Cessna were promoting their high wing design as allowing their aircraft to taxy from the homestead shed out though a gateway and into the paddock for take off. The Creative Director of a Sydney Advertising Agency came up with a Piper Ad which said: "if you want to drive an aircraft through a gateway, buy a Cessna, but of you want to fly, buy a Piper."

• Haha 1

Pendulum stability is of a fairly low order.( Not a large effect) , Other ways are dihedral and that works differently and sweep back (wing  or leading edge). which has a very strong reaction possible/likely. I think stabilty (laterally) is  over sold. Neutral  makes the plane more controllable as it tends to stay where you put it and works when you are upside down or in turbulence.. An aeroplane is not a car as some have found out the hard way, over the years. As well as going easier through farm gates, long(er) grass can affect low wing planes especially with wing down approaches/limit X wind landings and aileron hinges protruding. Low wing is a LOT easier to fit retract gear to. Nev

Edited by facthunter

I've read an accident report somewhere that 'thistles' and other vegetation clogged a low wing aileron horn balance and caused the plane to roll and prang ............. found vegetation from a deviation from the runway

................. low wing ............. you'd have to try a lot harder in a high wing

34 minutes ago, johnm said:

I've read an accident report somewhere that 'thistles' and other vegetation clogged a low wing aileron horn balance and caused the plane to roll and prang ............. found vegetation from a deviation from the runway

................. low wing ............. you'd have to try a lot harder in a high wing

Yes but you hit the tree branches in the high wing on your landing and takeoff rolls, and they are harder to judge.

It's amazing what a thumping wings will take.

I went out on a mail run with a pilot in a Cherokee 6 around Broken Hill which took most of the day and involved all sorts of rough strips.

On one the saplings had regrown to about one and a half metres with stems a bit thicker than your finger, but we crashed through them as two emus raced alongside us wanting to cross in front of us as they often do. Not for the faint hearted.

On a slightly different note...

Stuart, a farmer, has a nice little RV. Ros, his wife, wanted him to come to town with her while she went shopping.

He declined citing all this farmwork that needed to be done so Ros headed off by herself. Stuart decided flying would be far more fun than farmwork so got the RV out and away he went. The RV was put away and he had his head in the engine compartment when Ros arrived back home.

”Been hard at work all day, dear?”

”Yes dear, haven’t stopped. Lots to do”.

”You lying prick”, she said. “I logged into Ozrumways and saw you had been out flying for more than 2 hours!”

So now she is known by all at the Aeroclub as “RosRunways”.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2