• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
Kyle Communications

My Rans S21 Outbuound Build

Exactly 1 year from the day I was at the Rans factory for the open days where I got to fly twice the only S21 that was flying. I placed a order there and then. They have been overrun with orders for this aircraft at Rans and the wait times now are twice as long. I organised 2 other guys that had ordered kits around the same time to be able to ship in a 40ft container so we could offset the freight costs which are enormous. The kits are mine a Rotax S21 tail dragger and Gregs which is a Titan 180hp nose dragger and Rodger who ordered a S20 Raven with the metal 141 wing rotax powered tail dragger with round tail. The container travelled from Hays in Kansas to Chicago by road then by rail across the USA to Longbeach in CA where it was loaded onto a ship that went to Taiwan then picked up there by another ship that went to Sydney first then up here to Brisbane thats a total of 25,000 km of land and sea travel to get here. It arrived at the port last saturday the 5/10. Finally cleared Customs and AQIS and was delivered this morning out to Gregs place up the road from Archer Fall near Woodford. Rans did a awesome job packing the container. WE struggled unloading the almost 6 mtr long box of Rodgers and Gregs and mine were reasonably easier. On the top was a S21 finishing kit for Patrick up in Emerald he has 3/4 finished his S21 so has been waiting on it. Borrowed the work ute and the boss's car trailer and did 2 trips to get them back here to home base. Its been a big day since I got the call from the truck driver at 6.15am

Next job is inventory which I have to get done reasonably quickly as per Rans requests then I cant work on getting it together until I have Mabel the savannah S rebuild I am doing pretty much finished and out of my garage

I will be posting info and pictures of the build here

Mark

IMG_7727.thumb.jpg.91e4f49d4b659b7967a6d858510ceb71.jpgIMG_7730.thumb.jpg.ea63be9e2a4d31ffd18207c7efaeb935.jpgIMG_7733.thumb.jpg.5839e0722c8373de6f54ed05d2077add.jpgIMG_7736.thumb.jpg.9add39d4254f2e9c569a263ee3b6b203.jpgIMG_7734.thumb.jpg.3f92952dd0829204cbe8cb80cd904b32.jpgIMG_7741.thumb.jpg.46023cc3f2ecbdac74a75677dcf02a62.jpgIMG_7742.thumb.jpg.3de6a1b6397a037645f9e21f4aa0d959.jpg

• Like 4
  • Winner 4

Hi Mark  Must be super exciting. Enjoy the build and I look forward to your progress posts.  By the way why did your factory pilot wear the the HyFlyer gloves. Was it cold over there? Cheers

Edited by Blueadventures

Mate it was freezing. It was around 9 or 10 deg during the day..on the sunday we left we were just beating the snow on the way back to Kansas City to fly to Washington DC

His name is Sheldyne...just a really nice young man and a really good pilot too..he is one of the floor workers there

Edited by Kyle Communications

I would have been happy to deliver your container for you, I could have helped unpack it and taken the empty away. I would have only charged you a joy flight in the finished product. 🙂

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Hi Geoff   It was all done in the one price for transport from Kansas to here..got to say though the delivery out to Just up the road from Archer Falls was expensive..but when split 4 ways not so bad 🙂

• Like 1

Yes Mark...lots of stress watching it for 45 plus days travelling here. Its going to be great actually..this is built in a way quite different to savannahs. At least the manuals are far better and actually written in english...also Rans have had Eddie there do some construction videos they are really good. The only stress is getting Mabel finished and flying first

Awesome Mark and bloody happy for you.

I just love everything about the S21 and look forward in following your build down the track after Mabel is finish and would love to fly up when your into the build for a look and chat.

I said I'd never build another plane as I got so far behind in work and stuff but "DAMM" I get excited looking at the S21 mmm 😍😃

Hi Guy

yes its a exciting aircraft especially if you have had a fly of one. Couldnt resist had to open the boxes for a look...well thats my story 🙂  You have to do inventory so need the packing list so I opened both boxes only the top but couldnt find it. Rang Greg and he said it was at the front on the bottom of the cabin frame box so dove in and managed to find it so I can cover the boxes up easily until I make some room. Its well packed..heaps of packing and everything is wrapped in brown paper and the stickers are on the package so will leave all the parts in the brown paper when I unpack. Got to say the cabin cage looks awesome...the work in it is unreal

IMG_7745.thumb.jpg.f066e26aacbd4b729a15b6f2ffa3ae95.jpgIMG_7743.thumb.jpg.7875f3854f82b14a1ff607675ec36a71.jpg

Edited by Kyle Communications
  • Like 1
  • Winner 1

Quick tip:

If any of the kits have the molded plastic fuel tanks, check for plastic debris inside - from where fuel outlets might have been drilled out.

Friend of mine found a fair bit in his S7S tanks - after he'd been flying a while. (Blocked line) Lucky for him he told me about it just before he was going stick a vacuum cleaner hose in the tank after draining the fuel . NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another friend did that to a Pontiac Parisienne tank years ago. Blew the vacuum cleaner clear across the garage and smashed into a million bits. And he was a newly qualified electrician. Guess he missed the "Petrol fumes and electricity DO mix well" class. He waddled a bit too, after his mother "tore him a new one" for destroying her vacuum cleaner.

So check for debris in new tanks before use. You can be happy if find none, and delighted if you find some. Either way, you will know it will be AOK in the end.

I just did a motorbike tank with sealant, a three stage process. Stage three required drying with a “ heat gun or blow dryer” which had similar potential for disaster, depending on the heat setting and where you pointed it.

I ended up with a fuel blockage and it was exactly that in my Savannah. A small piece of plastic came off from inside the tank and lodged sideways in the metal pipe to the engine on a bend restricting the flow which was slowly emptying the float bowls at full power. Found it eventually. Wont get caught like that again

8 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

Hi Guy

yes its a exciting aircraft especially if you have had a fly of one. Couldnt resist had to open the boxes for a look...well thats my story 🙂  You have to do inventory so need the packing list so I opened both boxes only the top but couldnt find it. Rang Greg and he said it was at the front on the bottom of the cabin frame box so dove in and managed to find it so I can cover the boxes up easily until I make some room. Its well packed..heaps of packing and everything is wrapped in brown paper and the stickers are on the package so will leave all the parts in the brown paper when I unpack. Got to say the cabin cage looks awesome...the work in it is unreal

IMG_7745.thumb.jpg.f066e26aacbd4b729a15b6f2ffa3ae95.jpgIMG_7743.thumb.jpg.7875f3854f82b14a1ff607675ec36a71.jpg

Hi Mark,

This is all pretty exciting for you. Enjoy the build. No doubt you will keep us posted!