100hp Wankel

G'Day All,

if this has been covered in a previous discussion, please re-direct me, otherwise.....

does anyone know if there are any suppliers of rotary A/C engines at around the 100hp range? I've looked everywhere I can think of on the net and though I've found some suppliers, they are all in the 200hp+ catagory. Everything else seems to point towards getting a 12A or 13B Mazda and doing the conversion yourself (plenty of sites & info on that). Any ideas?

Cheers,

Stewart

That brings back memories - I owned an RX2 an absolute rocket - once sat on 209 km/hr all the way down from Albury to the outskirts of Melbourne, however I spent many hours in the workshop pulling the engine donw and fitting new O rings, usually after a trip like that, or a long trip with a head wind.

Under those conditions, the heat from the chamber, or maybe the flame would reach down to the rubber o rings seals and burn them out.

The engine also had a torque curve like a needle and very little power in quiet suburban driving - you needed to keep the revs up, and under those circumstances it was a fuel guzzler.

At constant rpm under load in an aircraft, those are characteritics which could make it less desirable.

Guest pelorus32

There are a number of options. Diamond Aircraft make (or made - not sure) a 50hp and a 110hp Wankel Rotary which they use to power the Katana. Search Diamond Engines.

Then there are these engines:

::UAV Engines Ltd: Products::

And this engine:

::UAV Engines Ltd: AR682R - 95 bhp::

Or these:

Revolution Rotary Engines Inc.

Regards

Mike

once sat on 209 km/hr all the way down from Albury to the outskirts of Melbourne, however I spent many hours in the workshop pulling the engine donw and fitting new O rings, usually after a trip like that,

Geez, what revs would that be sitting at for that length of time...? no wonder you've blown up 14cars!!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Ps. that's pretty quick you know;)

The revs weren't all that high - maybe 4500 or something like that - can't really remember. Scarily fast - quite different to accelerating to that speed down a straight and slowing for a corner - you know that the slightest little error would launch you into the trees. I saw a few errors made Tomo, that's why I'm very cautious today.

The race car engines were another thing - 10,000 rpm at the end of the straight, lift off to unsettle the car then slam the throttle wide open to flick the tail out a little, tyre bite then do it 10 more times - pretty hard on the old two stroke (and don't you listen to Captain telling people I didn't put oil in the fuel).

Guest disperse

was going to tell you about the Rotamax engs 120hp N/A and 180hp turbo but a quick look at there web page leaves me thinking it's all gone south for Eric Berger an Co.032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif