• Welcome to Recreational Flying!
    A compelling community experience for all aviators
    Intuitive, Social, Engaging...Registration is FREE.
    Register Log in
IBob

Electric Beaver (!)

The Beaver is perfect for lifting a ton of batteries. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, bexrbetter said:

Yup, this thread is apparently about aircraft I just found out, dang narn it!

I'm sure you've already got a cupboard full!

• Helpful 1

Some footage:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/118133935/why-this-5-minute-flight-is-a-gamechanger

was going to say I knew a girl who had an electric beaver (I didn't, really).

• More 1

It’s hard to believe they named the main character in a TV series Beaver Cleaver and they got away with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pmccarthy said:

It’s hard to believe they named the main character in a TV series Beaver Cleaver and they got away with it.

It's not at all hard to understand why the nickname "Beaver" would have been totally acceptable in the 1950's. It was an application of the name of a well-known advertising character to a typical childhood characteristic and in this case had the added impact of using the individual's surname.

Here's how it goes:

In the 1950's the Bristol-Myers had a new child-friendly character created to advertise their Ipana toothpaste. This character was a beaver, chosen because of the beaver's prominent front teeth - it is a rodent. The ads were run during children's television hours, so the character was well-known to children and young families. http://www.buckybeaver.ca/buckys_story.php

The 1950's were the years that lots of Baby Boomers were in their pre-teen years, and during that time in a child's life they are losing their milk teeth and their adult teeth are coming in. The first teeth to be replaced are the two front teeth, and when they do come in, they appear disproportionately large - like a rodent's. Jerry Mathers, who played "Beaver"  was born in 1949, so when the show started in 1957 he would have been eight years old, and probably just finished getting his two adult front teeth.

So what we have is: Well-known advertising character + big front teeth + rhyming surname = Beaver Cleaver.

"Beaver" Cleaver or Theodore Cleaver - which would you prefer to be called?

image.jpeg

Edited by old man emu
  • Informative 1