Not aviation, but thought some of you may like to see it

Tomo

I got emailed this, not bad at all...

There is a huge rock near a gravel pit on Hwy.25 in rural Iowa. For generations, kids have painted slogans, names, and obscenities on this rock, changing its character many times. A few months back, the rock received its latest paint job, and since then it has been left completely undisturbed.

It's quite an impressive sight. Be sure to scroll down and check out the multiple photos. all angles of the rock.

I thought the flag was draped over the rock, but it's not. It's actually painted on the rock too.

image001.jpg.c5ba9043b38268fbc00cb5a0ba48add2.jpg

image002.jpg.a1cb1257e125f84b67f35d88be53b934.jpg

image003.jpg.17eea8ddea2f3f4b9b7b8ee30ad20172.jpg

image004.jpg.88201aedc820be0e2bb2ce125a3122d4.jpg

image005.jpg.0d429178c0bd3beebe727d289e3fb3ad.jpg

image006.jpg.1ee67582b84fca909a6d522955217eb2.jpg

image007.jpg.694273eb127718e7bcb744609303f94e.jpg

image008.jpg.52c6e89aff28974f8b600b191a09f0eb.jpg

I think this is an important recognition of the service and sacrifice of so many soldiers.

The sacrifice is real, and often unrecognised, replaced by blame.

Vietnam was a classic example... the memorial near my parents house only went up in 1996: it took that long for the awareness to crystallise that civilians, not soldiers, make policy.

It also reminds me of that classic Redgum song 'I was only nineteen' ('A walk in the light green').

Thanks, Tomo. A very good reminder.

Chris.

[Without detracting from the above, I agree that it is a pity the waters are muddied with quotes from an individual who has deliberately undermined democracy and the rule of law- George W. Bush. Among other things, his policies on Iraq and the events at Guantanamo Bay were untenable in a free society- see Margulies, J, "Guantanamo and the abuse of presidential power"].

Youv'e lost me. What has the flag painted on a rock got to do with soldiers? Surely this is more to do with not desecrating the flag than military service. Would it work in Australia? I doubt it.

As far as G W Bush being a rat bag, have a look at todays news. Obama is going down the same road by continuing with the Guantanamo military tribunals and also there is talk of holding those presently detained who are considered a risk, but there is no evidence to prove it.

I had better not post any more as I have been deemed too anti US.

Hey Yenn,

Fair point. I supposed I responded to the phrase that stood out to me; 'All gave some, some gave all', against the background of names which had a similar feel (to me) as the Anzac memorials in every Australian town.

It's just what I was struck by. I'm not condoning or condemning any other part of the artwork, and I don't know what track the new president of the United States will go down in regard to Iraq or Guantanamo Bay. I support the comment of Winsor68 because it is quite clear that the former president did some things as a king above the law, rather than as a democratic leader under the law. (see, e.g. H. Charlesworth, "If big nations go it alone, it's back to a free-for-all', Sydney Morning Herald, 15 July 2003)

As I said, I just responded to what stood out to me. It's tricky.

Anyway, I'm off to pack for the airshow at Latrobe tomorrow! Should be great.

Chris.

Great piece of art work,Tomo.

To me all wars are a crime against humanity,full stop.

We are supposed to be the most intelligent of the species and therefore need to find a solution to our problems, without anyone being hurt in the process.

Frank.

Guest watto

Regardless of the artists message which only he could be certain of, it is a talented piece of art and great use of a natural public canvas.

Thanks Tomo

Watto

Regardless of the artists message which only he could be certain of, it is a talented piece of art and great use of a natural public canvas.Thanks Tomo

Watto

Thanks Watto, I thought it was a pretty unreal piece of artwork, done by a teenager also....:thumb_up:

If i was to express my views on US foreign policy and homeland security i would no doubt be banned from this site FOREVER.. not to mention the visit from the guys in black suits that would no doubt follow.. so ill zip it...

What is interesting is this unwritten code of graphity artists.. They WONT paint over someone elses work.. its like a code...Here in aus the govt woke up to this fact a few years ago..some of you may have noticed the little telephone and electricity boxes on the sides of roads being adorned with artwork... some of them are quite good, its an attempt to stop graph artist's tagging evrything...and it works...they wont "overtag"... good idea hey...:thumb_up:

Ps... i cant help it... here's a little titbit about our esteemed friend Mr Bush.. The geneava convention covers quite clearly the treatment of prisoners.. Mr Bush and his buddies found a way to overcome this triffle.. You see, the rules prevent ill treatment of " Civillians and soldiers".. so they INVENTED a third type of person.. a dude called an unlawfull combatatnt.. not civillian, not military... so they were deemed NOT to be covered by the geneava convention....

Join the dots on that one....

On the subject of GW Bush I wonder if he will ever be game to leave the USA for foreign travel. International law now says it is not oK for a head of state to commit atrocities and those heads of state can be prosecuted in other countries. That came about because of Pinochet's rule in chile and Spain trying to extradite him from Britain.

Guest watto

G.W is a walking atrocity, he really is out of touch with reality and although he has not eaten anybody (that we know of) he is no better than Idi Amin and Pinochet and deserves to he prosecuted, frog march troops into a foreign country and overthrow Government! who is the dictator????

I Sadam had not led a charge to have world oil traded in euro's instead of US dollars he would still be president today!! the US economy would have gone completely belly up over night.