Aviators down...

River

Has not been a good past few days with our fellow aviators...

These media reports have been coming through...

SMH

Monday 20 Nov 2006

Two fatal light plane crashes in 24 hours

The scene of the Nowendoc crash.

November 20, 2006 - 10AM

Two separate fatal ultralight plane crashes within a day of each other have left two men dead and one in hospital suffering multiple injuries, according to police.

In one incident a 41-year-old Armidale man had taken off from a private property at Nowendoc, a small village about 70 kilometres south of Walcha, about 2.45pm yesterday. A 30-year-old passenger, from Nowendoc, sat in the back seat of the two-seater.

According to emergency staff the plane stalled shortly after take off, possibly when avoiding power lines, and nose-dived into a nearby paddock.

Emergency crews arrived but the pilot was pronounced dead at the scene. His passenger, a 30-year-old Nowendoc man, was taken by helicopter to Tamworth Hospital with leg and arm fractures and a chest injury.

The crash comes only hours after another ultralight crash west of Parkes, in which a 40-year-old Forbes man died after hitting powerlines at about 6.45pm on Saturday.

-------------------

One dead in light plane crash

November 20, 2006 12:00

AAP

A MAN has been killed and another remains in hospital after an ultralight aircraft crash in northern NSW.

The aircraft left a private property in Nowendoc in the Northern Tablelands about 2.45pm (AEDT) yesterday before plummeting to the ground.

A 41-year-old Armidale man died at the scene and a 30-year-old Nowendoc man was taken to Tamworth Base Hospital with serious leg and arm injuries.

Police are investigating the crash and will prepare a report for the coroner.

It is the second fatal ultralight aircraft crash in less than 24 hours.

A 40-year-old Forbes man was killed when the plane he was piloting hit powerlines in the Bogan Gate Road area, about 50km west of Parkes in western NSW, on Saturday evening.

20061120_064500_Ultralight_Cras.jpg.9aade1cd2cb7cfb894f6dceb7cf1bfbf.jpg

Its always very sad when someone loses their life however when to aviators leave us in such a short space of time itstragic my heart goes out to their families.

Don

Can anyone advise the names of those that were involved in the accidents as I would like to know if they were members of these forums?

If they were I think it would be appropriate for me to organise some flowers to be sent on behalf of all the forum members.

Guest Fred Bear

Ian/all forum members/fellow flyers,

Being personally involved with the crash out of Parkes I can only give you (for privacy reasons) the pilots first name Greg and surname L. The circumstances of the Parkes crash were that Greg was flying his Jabiru at a low altitude in a Westerly heading (into the sun) and was observed to contact power lines. CPR was administered with no result. Again this teaches us about the dangers of power lines when flying low level. I am not aware of the circumstances of the crash on the North Coast. Looking at the pics it seems as though it may be a Drifter.

Can anyone advise the names of those that were involved in the accidents as I would like to know if they were members of these forums? If they were I think it would be appropriate for me to organise some flowers to be sent on behalf of all the forum members.

See the Nowendoc report Ian, Mark didn't have folks here in town. His future wife was also a flier, we will try to find her in the next couple of days.

See the Nowendoc report Ian, Mark didn't have folks here in town. His future wife was also a flier, we will try to find her in the next couple of days.

Thanks - can you PM me with any details?

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Folk,

In respect of he Nowendoc accident...

I did hear that issues involved may have been density altitude, particularly on a very hot day, maximum take off weight, (power to weight ratio)andturning back at low level....

Each issue by itself gives cause for concern, combine all three ....!

A sad lossfor immediate family, and indeed for us as recreational flyers.

It behoves us to consider all safety issues relating to takeoff prior to

entering a runway.

JL Juliette Lima