Air filter

Vev

I used a K&N filter on my Nissan Patrol for over ten years, great filter for places like Frasier Is. (lots of sand) The downside is thatwill you find over the years that the oil from the filter does leak into the inlet manifold. It bakes on into a glazed brown-yellow substance and is devilish hard to remove. Re-oiling is also a rather messy business.

Paper filters

A LAME told me that it's not the filter that causes the problem but the way the cover is reinstalled. DO NOT over tighten the cover screws as this can distort the cover and allow dust to bipass the element. Only tighten lightly. He demonstated to me and I could see what it did.

Phil.

Hi Phil,

You know, I think there is something in your LAME’s observation, although I think it could be related to the brand of filter used.

When I replaced my original filter with the Ryco A360 I noticed the seal around the rim of the filter was slightly thicker than the original, which was a RAF17, I didn’t know it at the time but RAF17 is Repco filter (See previous post from JR) … I noticed that the new Ryco prevented me from tightening the cover home as I was causing distorting to the cover … this distortion would most certainly allow unfiltered air into the engine. In the end I settled to just tighten it down to the point I was happy I had a consistent seal. I’ve since checked it again and all seems to be ok.

Never the less, I’m tempted to go down to the local Repco and measure the seal thickness on the RAF17 and see if it is in fact narrower in new condition and replace the Ryco filter at my next 50hrs maintenance schedule if it looks a better fit…. I’m not too keen on the idea of things not being completely secured, as in this instance it could also effect the carbie heat function if cool air can sneak in around the filter seal.

While I’m mentioning the carbie heat … I was also wondering if this could be a source of concern for the supporters of oiled foam filters and why there have been reports of oil pooling in the air box? I wonder if the hot air from the carbie heat function is causing the oil to reduce its viscosity and fallout? I also wonder what effect the heat has on the foam too? I don’t know the answers to these questions but I thought I would mention and see if someone does?

Regards

Jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks for addding further to my comments. I still have the original element so I will be on the lookout for any different seal thickness when I replace.

RE oil type element. I have still in my old Nissan Patrol '79 with 320 k's, it has been all over the sandy deserts of Simpson, Canning etc. it sure catches the muck. I would be loathe to have similar in the Jab as the conditions are nowhere as severe as that and LSA cat. I also do not expect to get that amount of air time between overhauls.

But they do work.

Cheers.

Phil.