Flying with door(s) open?

Guest rudix

Hi IBob, I have flown the Savannaha no problems with the doors off, never tried with them open though. Have a 701 on floats that is always flown doors off, just in case! Just make sure eveything is tied down well inside the cockpit otherwise it will be out the door in a flash.Cheers Ian

Thanks Ian. First I have to build it, then learn to fly it...but something else to look forward to, for sure.

I wouldn't try with doors attached, given that the gas struts are to the rear, and the doors themselves so flexible.

I.C.P. Srl Savannah™VG FLIGHT MANUAL Pag. 14 Issue 1/Revision 03 ICP Srl – S.P.16 km 15,150 14022 Castelnuovo Don Bosco (AT) Jan.2012 Tel. 011.9927503 Fax 011.9927266

1.9 CABIN Two large lateral doors allow an easy indipendent access to the cabin. They are hinged with two hinges on the upper edge of the doors. They may be locked by a key handle located in the lower edge and by a latch in the front edge. The doors may be removed unscrewing the hinges, if so desired (flying in hot regions or to take pictures). The doors MUST NOT be opened in flight. WARNING: Is very important to verify that the latch in the front edge of the door is locked before taking off.

1.10 CABIN FEATURES AND UPHOLSTERY The cabin arrangement features two canvas covered side-by-side seats. 1.11 VENTILATION The cabin’s ventilation is provided by an opening between the doors and the upper part of the cabin door frame. A dynamic air scoop intended to extract the cabin air is installed at the top of the baggage compartment. Cabin ventilation may be improved by using two rotating air scoops in the doors windows. It is important to achieve an efficient cabin ventilation to prevent windshield condensation in high humidity, low temperature weather conditions.

1.12 CABIN HEATING On the upper right side of the instrument panel there is a push-pull control. Pull it for hot ventilation in the cockpit. The outlet may be opened by a rotating panel on the cockpit glare shield. The air is heated by a heat exchanger located around the muffler

1.13 INSTRUMENT PANEL ATTENTION: The installed instruments are not certified according to any aeronautical regulations. Dangerous flight conditions should be avoided at all times. Do not consider the values given by the instruments as an absolute value. As standard equipment the following instruments are fitted: Each aircraft may have different instrument configuration according to customers request.

This Stinson Reliant actually has wind-down windows! OK if you are only doing 70 knots I guess.

I'm kind of envious on hot days though. That little gold-fish bowl on the Sonex can get pretty warm, especially on the ground.

Peter

What a beautiful bird !!! Sigh...

Ohhhhhhh riggggggght.If all else fails, read the instructions???

The flight manual for your plane is buried in the very back of you instruction manual behind the spare parts manual.

• 2 years later...
Much better to install opening windows for photography. I've installed opening windows on my Savannah, that are easy to do and work really well. I'll be writing up instructions with photos soon.

Hello, I am not sure if John has published instruction and photos, but I am a new Savannah owner and missing the opening windows of my old Nynja. Any one has photos and experience with opening window design for a Savannah S, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you John, never thought about opening the window inside. That is one way of avoiding the impact of the airstream.  I like a bigger window open, so I will have a go at hacking the factory door in two. I will post the result here. If any one has already done it. Dont hesitate to send advice. 

• 2 weeks later...