Lets KILL the mandatory radio idea forever

Guest Qwerty

Turbo there was a fatal accident in the UK with a very young early solo student who was confused by unknown tower instructions ("backtrack"), then held for wake turbulence. He was told to orbit on final to allow a faster aircraft behind to land. He lost control and crashed.

One thing to remember is that as pilots, we are in command. If any controller ever gives instructions that you are not happy with (maybe due to inexperience, weather, performance, sun glare or anything else), remember you can say you are unable to comply.

Sometimes I think we are so used to following instructions (school teachers, bosses, flying instructors, air traffic controllers) that we lose sight of the fact that we can say no if we are not comfortable with the instruction.

Someone told me once he was told to orbit so he did - straight into a cloud!

First look after the safety of yourself, your aircraft, your passengers.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ozzie

It's the same rule as for ships and aircraft. you are responsible for the safety of your crew, your pasengers and foremost your vessel. no excuses. you are the captain and you make the final decision no matter what your rating.

Were the student pilots ho had problems with un familiar commands really ready to be flying solo. Before I soloed I had to demonstrate an ability to go around and had experience of non standard situations. My opinion is the student who died in England was not ready to be in command, and it was an incorrect decision by his instructor that caused his death.

Guest Escadrille

RV6A, PA 28, C172, Jabiru,

Is this particular range of aircraft listed as flown by the "Wing Commander" perhaps influencing ones "point of view" - Pun intended...?

:patch:

Yenn, you're quite right - with the benefit of hindsight, neither were ready to fly, but now put yourself in the shoes of the instructor - you've got a student who's bright and responsive, all the lessons have been in calm weather, nothing has gone wrong, the student has had you as a safety net, so any stress issues have not been noticeable, and you've made the decision to pull the rug out from underneath him and let him go.

FYI, CASA has just posted an "urgent" publication to GA pilots in a bright red cover I guess in response to investigations of increasing mid air collisions over the past few years and last year especially.On another point could it be argued "he says tongue in cheek" that eyesight may not be as effective in some pilots as in others or between different classes of pilots?

Could your deteriorating eyesight be a threat to other pilots? Is a drivers license enough? :devil:

Following on from that point would be.

It also could be argued that hearing may not be as effective in some pilots as others and therefore other pilots are at risk because of misunderstood radio messages and mandatory radio in class G airspace will prevent these pilots from flying.

Is a drivers licence enough?.

RAA and CASA have thought so for RAA pilots up until now and my question is,how many RAA aircraft have been involved in midair collisions?.

Frank.

Guest Crezzi
Were the student pilots ho had problems with un familiar commands really ready to be flying solo. Before I soloed I had to demonstrate an ability to go around and had experience of non standard situations. My opinion is the student who died in England was not ready to be in command, and it was an incorrect decision by his instructor that caused his death.

The facts of this tragic case can be read in the AAIB report here - Air Accidents Investigation: Cessna F150L, G-BABB

Cheers

John

I fully agree Turbo. Not being an instructor I can sit back and revel in hindsight. It is a problem that a quiet word with the tower would have possibly negated. I know in some places with a tower they are told of first solos.

Motherhood and other things

The CASA MAILOUT is certainly motherhood, no specific data at all.

Yes Escadrile, I do/ have flown those aircraft in my avatar including gazelle and several types of Jabs, I was having fun flying RA for a year b4 adding PPL. Love both forms.

The eyesight paragraph was just an 'outside the 9 dots' comment, food for thought stuff and the 'hearing' comment is another good one to consider.

Getting your bi-annual is a pain in the ass but worthwhile for any of us older buggers as we can get the other stuff checked out at the same time I mean, diabetes, prostate etc etc.

Not a bad thing to do.

Finally, There is no doubt I will lose my PPL license due to medical sometime and keep on flying RA. Maybe a little bit deaf , maybe a little bit blind, but not mute.075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif