Brolga Ultra-Prop

eastmeg2

hey Pete, I've spoken to Tech at RAAus and they are the ones that told me I would need to cough up $550 for a certificate for my (25-0455) Drifter if I wanted to fit a Bolly 3 blade...apparently the reason for that is that RAAus spent $25k on the "process" and it is obviously regarded as a 'user pays' system. Bolly told me they were happy to sell me the prop but if I didn't purchase a MARAP certificate for my aircraft it could be grounded by any CASA or RAAus official.

for some reason I can't get my head around the cost of $25k for an approval process for a different propellor for a 25 registered aircraft - what, did they have to fly first class around the world on a fact finding mission?????

BP

hey Pete, I've spoken to Tech at RAAus and they are the ones that told me I would need to cough up $550 for a certificate for my (25-0455) Drifter if I wanted to fit a Bolly 3 blade...apparently the reason for that is that RAAus spent $25k on the "process" and it is obviously regarded as a 'user pays' system. Bolly told me they were happy to sell me the prop but if I didn't purchase a MARAP certificate for my aircraft it could be grounded by any CASA or RAAus official.for some reason I can't get my head around the cost of $25k for an approval process for a different propellor for a 25 registered aircraft - what, did they have to fly first class around the world on a fact finding mission?????

BP

Bit hard to swallow but...RAAus did use tech office time to work through with casa the marap process so there is part of the cost they speak of. This cost was never capitalised as an asset to be recovered over time but was expensed in the year incurred ... but it’s a company and it’s chosen to recover costs over time on a user pays basis.

For each brand new never before seen marap applications the tech office have to consider and approve them. The time spent doing this at the RAAus tech office hourly rate is not charged directly to the applicant so part of the operating costs of new maraps gets absorbed by RAAus.

Other costs RAAus do incur when running the marap are the admin time to issue a compliance certificate for second and subsequent same marap.

So applying the same fee to each and every marap application regardless of how much it individually costs is probably the fairest way to charge otherwise the first of type marap would be exhorbitantly expensive and there would be no maraps.

It’s part of the cost of having type accepted airframes. You have to meet a design standard and any variation from it has to be supported.

Sadly there is no way to migrate old type accepted into experimental with the associated limits in ops as this might give extended life to older 25 reg airframes.

Maybe that would be something RAAus tech could look at but not sure how CASA might feel.

I didn't say I thought it was an unreasonable charge. I do appreciate that RAA need to recover some of the expenses incurred.

In previous years, it was possible to achieve the same result as the new MARAP process by engaging a CAR35 aeronautical engineer to assess the modification. Now we have a new system. Just jump through the hoops, pay the money, get the approval, and go flying.

• 1 month later...
Just jump through the hoops, pay the money, get the approval, and go flying.

So he is expected to pay $550 to get approval to fit a $700 prop, that has an already known history, made by a prop manufacturer (not made as an afterthought by the aircraft manufacturer to keep cost down), and do this to an aircraft that similar ones have been operating in this configuration for many years?Looks like MARAP is going to be a real money spinner for the RAAus!

I mean, look at this;

A weight increase, AS SUPPLIED BY THE MANUFACTURER, and RAAus still wants $550 to rubber stamp and already existing and researched document.

As I've said before, we have become GA again.

MTOW INCREASE 450 TO 525.pdf