HGFA or RAA for trikes?

Contacted HGFA, about my distance from anyone that they list as being able to do inspections for Rego n ownership transfer of Microlight weeks ago. Asked for their advise , and the steps I need to take to make this (easier) happen, and an email was agreed would be sent to me with this information. As yet still no further contact . 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looked at the HGFA forms and if it is a CAO 95:32 (Non-LSA) then the only time it needs an inspection is if it is a kit or amateur built under CAO 95:32 clause 1.4 (at the bottom of the form)

Normally they don't have inspections on sale (different to RAAus) as they have inspections every 2 years instead. If it was RAAus it would have been deregistered and had an inspection on sale anyway, so I don't see that you would need one. Maybe they haven't received the de-registered paperwork from the previous owner?

Regarding 2 yearly inspections, if you are a long way away from either HGFA or RAAus WM then you can get an exemption from the Ops Manager so its not normally a problem if you have been doing your own maintenance anyway. They used to be done by the owner.

Hi XC- Buzzard,

as I dont know your real name - there's no way I can check your email enquiry got through  - could you send your email enquiry again to [email protected]  ?

Our contact details are available on this  page  -  https://www.hgfa.asn.au/contact  

Head Office

Hang Gliding Federation of Australia

21 / 54 Commercial Place, Keilor East, Vic 3033

Ph 03 9336 7155

Fax 03 9336 7177

[email protected]

But regarding your earlier enquiry  -  if you are already a  member of RAA -  you might find it cheaper to  transfer the  trikes registration to  RAA  rather than maintain membership across 2 organizations.  Last time I checked,  the costs of  1 pilot membership and 1 trike registration  totalled up to being fairly similar across the two organisations. - if you are already a member of the RAA,  it will probably be cheaper to register the trike with RAA. ( as you only have to pay for one membership) 

The  registration transfer from  one organization  to another is a bit of a pain and  some of that is due to the  restrictions placed on us  by CASA -   CASA  wants us to  have a system in place so that at no time does the trike have registration in both organizations at the same time,  the process has to ensure that the  trike is de-registered in one organization and registered in another.

But also the Certificate of Airworthiness/ Certificate of Compliance  is linked to the aircraft's registration - so when the  aircraft registration is changed a new certificate has to be issued. 

I can say that we have a good working relationship with Jill, Neil and the office staff at RAA, and both the RAA and the HGFA want to make the transfer process as easy and painless as possible. -  and we are looking at ways to make it easier. 

Regarding inspections - yes what the RAA and HGFA do there is a little different.  (we think our way is better  )  -  there is a list of BAI inspectors  here  - https://www.hgfa.asn.au/pilot-tools/bai-inspectors  - I note that  there's a couple of  BAI inspectors in Tamworth  which (relatively speaking)  isnt too far away from Lightning Ridge.

The HGFA will also accept an inspection report from a  RAA level 2 maintainer.  - but I dont have access to the list of RAA inspectors.

Anyway,   contact  the HGFA if you  need more info. 

Regards,

pgpete 

yeah -  to put it in perspective though -  the closest Toyota dealer to Lightning Ridge is 3 hours away in Gilgandra.  and Toyota have more resources than what we have.

I'm guessing everything is a long drive from lightning ridge. 

In talking  to a lot of the  ML schools in QLD - many of them will  trailer their  ML to Airborne for  major service and inspection,  and  I know some  ML owners  schedule their inspection with their CFI  (who also is a level 2/BAI )  when they go there for their BFR.

• 3 months later...

I received some good advice from members here on this thread about this debate, thank you.. But now I have another spanner to throw into the works on this subject whilst attending AirVenture last week, I was informed that RAA don't require a bi annual aircraft ( Microlight ) Rego inspection , unlike the HGFA.. So this , if is the case, will also effect the bottom line of who is the more economical choice, eg the fee charged for an inspection every second year must be taken into account,even if HGFA rego cost is more attractive than the dearer RAA Rego, factor in this cost (?) what ever it is , it will likely raise the $22 a year advantage the HGFA seem to have up more inline with the $160 a year Rego RAA charge. Let alone the added travel costs Bienially. Then that just leaves the difference in Membership right ? Dissapointing news for me, as the figures originally had me leaning in favour of keeping the Trike with HGFA

• Like 1

Have you checked all the "other " factors like insurance etc? I have no view either way and the letter from your HGF rep seems reasonable in every way to me.. . Nev

I'm sorry Nev , little confused with your reply, which letter from my HGFA rep are you referring to mate . Lance

I received some good advice from members here on this thread about this debate, thank you.. But now I have another spanner to throw into the works on this subject whilst attending AirVenture last week, I was informed that RAA don't require a bi annual aircraft ( Microlight ) Rego inspection , unlike the HGFA.. So this , if is the case, will also effect the bottom line of who is the more economical choice, eg the fee charged for an inspection every second year must be taken into account,even if HGFA rego cost is more attractive than the dearer RAA Rego, factor in this cost (?) what ever it is , it will likely raise the $22 a year advantage the HGFA seem to have up more inline with the $160 a year Rego RAA charge. Let alone the added travel costs Bienially. Then that just leaves the difference in Membership right ? Dissapointing news for me, as the figures originally had me leaning in favour of keeping the Trike with HGFA

Depends on your use and requirements.

With RAAus your additional inspections on top of the rego fees depends on use and manufacture.

If it’s single seat under 95.10 then there is only rego no inspections.

If it’s kit built or home built under 95.32 then again no inspections during ownership.

If it’s factory built 95.32 AND you want to use it for hire and reward then you have annual inspections to price in. If you want to use it for personal use only then even though it’s a factory built no annuals required.

Haven’t bothered checking out 95.32 LSA requirements on personal use and any required inspection.

For me my trike is no fee other than rego as it’s petsonal use only.

• Like 1

A local HGFA trike owner does his own inspection and it is co-signed by his mate (aircraft owner/builder with good 582 knowledge )who goes over and double checks the owners inspection.

I'm not sure if that is the general rule or there are no suitably qualified people in this area to do it.

• Like 1

A local HGFA trike owner does his own inspection and it is co-signed by his mate (aircraft owner/builder with good 582 knowledge )who goes over and double checks the owners inspection.I'm not sure if that is the general rule or there are no suitably qualified people in this area to do it.

Yes that sounds like a more sensible arangement for inspections , its the way I remember doing years ago when I was still a HGFA member , it worked just fine for 10 yrs with no problems.. especially if your in an isolated area .. Lance

• 2 months later...
Yes that sounds like a more sensible arangement for inspections , its the way I remember doing years ago when I was still a HGFA member , it worked just fine for 10 yrs with no problems.. especially if your in an isolated area .. Lance

I have a HGFA registered 912. It needs to have a 2 yearly Independent Maintenance Inspection and this needs to be carried out by either an RAA listed Maint authority or a HGFA listed maint authority. There are many people in HGFA that have completed the Rotax Maint course and this enables them to be listed as qualified to carry out the inspections. No biggie.