bon mots

hihosland

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mel Tillis is a famous Country Music singer who has a particularly bad stuttering problem when he talks. When interviewed or between songs it seems to take forever to get out something like M mmm mm mm m m m mmm mmm my next song etc.

But the minute he starts to sing, out comes the most beautiful velvet voice, without a trace of a stutter.

In one interview he was talking about his wartime service as a bomber pilot, when his aircraft was either on fire or out of engines and there was no hope of saving it.

He said "I picked up the mike and called "B B B B BBB BBBB BBBB BBB B B B BBBBBBBBBB BAIL OUT!, but they were all gone.

Mel was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame on August 7, 2007.

Guest Maj Millard

We had a couple of good sayings when I was skydiving.

"Don't wait so long that you hit your hand on the ground when you pull your ripcord !!!"

And..."If your going in, roll over on your back so you don't break you wristwatch !!!"..008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

R. J. Wiedemann LtCol. USMC Ret

Just something I found during my wander around the internet and made me think

“Few human activities are as intimate as the interaction between pilot and student, who sit crammed sweaty elbow to elbow, balanced in the swaying sky, seeking the best of each other”

It's wonderful to climb the liquid mountains of the sky, Behind me and before me is God and I have no fears.

— Helen Keller, at age 74, on flight around the world, news reports of 5 ***********February 1955.

Experience is the knowledge that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

(The wisdom that enables us to recognize as an undesirable old acquaintance the folly that we have already embraced. — Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, 1911)

Instead of our drab slogging forth and back to the fishing boats, there's a reason to life! We can lift ourselves out of ignorance, we can find ourselves as creatures of excellence and intelligence and skill. We can be free! We can learn to fly!

— Richard Bach, 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull,' 1970.

Guest Maj Millard

' Flying is the best way to fly'.....................................................

'A good landing is just a very well controlled crash'.........................

The airplane is just a bunch of sticks and wires and cloth, a tool for learning about the sky and about what kind of person I am, when I fly. An airplane stands for freedom, for joy, for the power to understand, and to demonstrate that understanding. Those things aren't destructable.

— Richard Bach, 'Nothing by Chance,' 1963.