J160 oil comsumption

Guest Robw

"Ensure that the breather line runs up hill from its connection to the dip stick tube. Vented oil will then condense in the up hill section of the breather tube and run back into the engine thus reducing oil consumption and reducing the fill rate of oil into the overflow bottle."

Mine was plumbed direct from Dip stick fitting to oil bottle, all downhill and it certainly did pump oil into the bottle, had to be emptied inbetween changes

I rerouted (using proper oil hose not heater hose as supplied) up over the engine mount and bottle has 50mm max at each oil change now.

I have heard a vapour trap in breather hose helps too, a good one could be made using another catch bottle, hose fitting in each end on lower edge, leaning so oil will drain back to engine.

I have seen the heater hose in that installation too. The heater hose was "sweating" (for want of a better description) oil. The owner said that he could smell oil in the cab and was happy he'd found the source. But why heater hose on an oil line installation and why on two completely different a/c??? My mate's was amature built.

Mine was factory assist built, (not saying the hose was there from new though), and had the same thing, oil sweating out of hose

Heater hose is probably 1/3 the price of oil hose, and it was OK for maybe 300hrs.

Maybe someone putting kits together used wrong hose , who knows?

• 1 month later...