The BIG Flight BAg

Mobile phones in planes.

Not talking commercial airliners here, but some years ago a frind of mine ine Beech Baron had a radio failure, but having the phone number of the tower (preparation) rang them up and got in that way. The phones that I have do not always work (ie have black spots) so would a satellite phone be the go? Nev

If I had had one a few weeks ago iy would have been a great help. An ultralight was thought to have crashed and it was the same colour as my plane. The police eventually phoned my wife, who of course had no idea where I was, luckily she is not the worrying type, but I knew nothing about all this until I got home. That is what tipped me into getting a phone.

OOOOOhhhhhhhhhh CRAP, 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif I thought that I was doing pretty well. That is the list of gear that I took when I flew from Tassie to Port Douglas....no.... Cook Town last year. I was away for three weeks. I didn't think it was over the top.Has anyone got any suggestions on what I could have left out.

:black_eye: Qwerty

Hi querty, going that far i reckon i would have taken more.

Guest Maj Millard

Hey, don't feel bad if your bag is big, pilots just need stuff !!!! and some pilots have planes big enough to carry...well....lots of stuff !!................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

RE: Phones when flying

I've just got the iPhone recently and have some very useful aviation apps onboard

NAIPS: Exactly the same as the online version very handy

Dial-A-WIS - alphabetical listing of all WIS's just touch the one you want and it automatically dials it for you

BOM Radar - Bureau of Met radar images

PilotWiz - awesome app...log book, fuel, convertor, weight and balance and all kinds of useful stuff

Aircheck - touchscreen checklists

LogTen - Logbook

so I use it more as a PC than phone

Guest Maj Millard

That's great Maddog, the one thing I've always wanted on board is real time BOM radar for in flight checking of weather. Remember though, the radar only depicts areas of moisture/rain, not all the cloud...................................................................:gerg::patch:

• 5 years later...

I had a laugh the other week at all the new trainee pilots with there big flight bags.

Since the introduction of the ipad my flight bag has reduced to one of the below. It has enough room for a macbook pro, ipad, pens and some backup charts.

?temp_hash=8fbf50e0e6a89659f7402f55deb9346e

image.jpeg.d86a5f11a160232906ede5c8b3cbf638.jpeg

• Agree 1

I dont carry water....(it is an age and bladder thing - I dont want to be caught short at 3500ft)

Er... isn't that what the little round thing in the side window that pops out and leaves a hole is for? 007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gif

RE: Phones when flyingI've just got the iPhone recently and have some very useful aviation apps onboard

NAIPS: Exactly the same as the online version very handy

Dial-A-WIS - alphabetical listing of all WIS's just touch the one you want and it automatically dials it for you

BOM Radar - Bureau of Met radar images

PilotWiz - awesome app...log book, fuel, convertor, weight and balance and all kinds of useful stuff

Aircheck - touchscreen checklists

LogTen - Logbook

so I use it more as a PC than phone

Another good app to try !

TAFGRAF.....Local or listed airport met weather ....also in graph form showing forecast for next few hours.

But really we are supposed to be minimum reg maximum fun ultralight/microlight pilots.

If you really want to get a grip on the ever expanding flight bag go for a trial flight in a trike ... you have available in flight this:

MAPPockets400_1-(2).jpg.99ba4a66bed6362c6b7e3182f72e7322.jpg

It is strapped across your knees and nothing is accessible in flight - best you can do is flip it over in flight for double size ... chinagraph pencil on a lanyard through the loop and you write up your flight on the outside over the paperwork inside.

Gets you thinking about what you really need ... and trust me that's enough to space to do a 4-5 hour international flight from London down to the south of France with all required materials at hand. But it keeps you on your toes.

oh to be full disclosure I use these bar mitts as well for a bit more writing space - great for airfield plates and frequencies

826831329_1033_16_barmits1.JPG.5b748e5f763e265563796cb9e0325123.JPG

Hi Robbo, a bit off topic, but I have a stuffed toy very similar to your Avatar.I'll post a photo if your interested.

Alan.

I have some white ones from the Hilton Hotel at Melbourne airport, there rubber squeezy ones but dunno where I put them.

• 1 month later...
I have now have two brief case type tool boxes I use...The little small one - about a foot rectangle (if there is such a combination!;) ) comes with me on the aircraft and carries ~

*ERSA

*Pencil

*Rubber

*Pen

*Peal-it stick on stickers (extremely helpful in the drifter, sticking them on the inside of the wind shield out of the wind, Ie. with Radio Frequencies, flight plan info, airfield info etc...)

*Bull dog clip (great for clipping flight plan/info/map on to the wind shield of the drifter)

*WAC/VTC/VNC and I put the ERC in as well for good measure!

*Wallet

*ASIC

In the Jab I add ~

*Flight computer

*Protractor

*Ruler

*Knee board

And in the Bigger case I carry all the non essential 'in-cockpit' junk! Like ~

*RAA Ops Manual

*Log book

*Other area WAC/VTC's etc...

*And what ever else I fancy carrying with me to the airfield!

Other stuff that I usually carry ~

*Mobile phone (I think that is an essential part to safe fun flying for all - I've gotten into the habit of texting take off and landing notices to somebody)

*Water bottle (at least 500ml)

*Camera

*Leatherman ('freestyle' at that!)

*And what ever else I've forgotten!

It packs up to a pretty small little bundle really! :thumb_up:

What about the handbag? Funny how i never use the items in it but its still always with me. Can't live without it, sorry