FAA grounds Zodiac 601XL, 650 S-LSA

Guest ozzie

Unprecedented Action

FAA grounds Zodiac 601XL and 650 S-LSA until compliance with AMD Safety Alert

November 12, 2009 — For the first time in history, the FAA has suspended issuance of any new airworthiness certificates for an entire fleet of special light-sport aircraft (S-LSA) - the Zodiac CH601XL and CH650 - and the FAA will not issue airworthiness certificates to experimental light-sport aircraft (E-LSA) and amateur built versions of CH601XL and CH650 aircraft until modified in a manner consistent with the manufacturer’s safety alert is performed.

A fatal crash by a Zodiac last week was the most recent in a string of accidents since 2005 involving Zodiac models. The agency’s investigation uncovered areas of concern related to wing structure, airspeed calibration, and stick-force characteristics, among other items.

This unprecedented action, issued by the FAA on Thursday, November 12, follows a Safety Alert issued by Aircraft Manufacturers and Design (AMD), which came after FAA’s Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin (SAIB) was issued on November 7. Thursday’s memorandum prevents issuance of any new S-LSA airworthiness certificates until they are in compliance with the AMD safety alert, and effectively grounds those S-LSA already certificated. For certificated E-LSA and amateur-built CH601XL and CH650 aircraft, the FAA strongly recommends current owners to comply with actions contained in AMD’s Safety Alert.

Upon receipt of the FAA’s SAIB November 7, EAA promptly recommended that owners of these aircraft not operate them until wing maintenance is completed to comply with the FAA’s SAIB. EAA also issued a letter to its Technical Counselors updating them on the developments and will have more to say about this situation after completing a full review of the information.

AMD,’s Safety Alert provides details about an Upgrade Package that will be made available to all builders and owners of kit versions of the aircraft, including detailed, step-by-step installation instructions.

The Safety Alert includes upgrades outlined on Drawings 6-ZU-1, 6-ZU-2, and 6-ZU-3. AMD also drafted a document titled Questions and Answers with Chris Heintz to help builders and owners understand these upgrades, which were recently structurally tested and independently verified (Document 369). “We are committed to working with all builders and owners so that they may resume building and operating their aircraft as soon as possible by incorporating the updates at minimal cost and inconvenience,” the company stated.

It toook a long time yo happen. The problem has been known for at least a year and I think it was known in the 601 before the 650 came on the market. Surprising that CASA have done nothing, but maybe the problem is not so common here.

It toook a long time yo happen. The problem has been known for at least a year and I think it was known in the 601 before the 650 came on the market. Surprising that CASA have done nothing, but maybe the problem is not so common here.

The difference is that the USA 601xl flys at 600kg MTOW and here 544kg MTOW. At the lower weight the manufacture has said the alrcraft is fine but still recommends the mod/upgrade be done. The upgrade is the stregthening of the wing spars and carry thru structure to give a greater margin for any overload situations that may arise.This aircraft is now the most tested LSA in the world.The reason for the wait was they were doing all the testing etc. Cheers T87

Guest Maj Millard

I dislike seeing any flying machine 'grounded', however the 601 appears to have racked up a continueing chain of unfortunate and usually fatal accidents, both here and in other places.

The canopy latching situation has contributed, and it appears the spar should be stronger.

Any aircraft that is killing good pilots should be grounded until proven safe IMOP.........024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I would hope that any owners Down Under would take the "self regulating" part of Ra-Aus seriously and not carry unknowing passengers until the issue is cleared up (or mods done).

I thought the issue was with the controls developing flutter at higher gross/speeds...and making the other stuff break?

I would hope that any owners Down Under would take the "self regulating" part of Ra-Aus seriously and not carry unknowing passengers until the issue is cleared up (or mods done).I thought the issue was with the controls developing flutter at higher gross/speeds...and making the other stuff break?

Refer Q&A http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/xl/data/qa-chris-heintz-1a.pdf Cheers