Mangalore-Merimbula?

Simonflyer

Hi guys..

Just wondering if anyone has done a flight similar to this, or at least across the great divide from east to west, and can share any tips..

Im not a huge fan of tiger that is in some places er quite high and unforgiving, and I was considering tracking (to avoid the largest chunks of High Tiger) Mangalore-Albury-Corryong-jindabyne-Merimbula (avoiding a place on google maps called, and i kid you not, "Pilot wilderness"!!Doesnt sound like fun for me.)

Is this the safest way to do it?Am I being too careful?

I will of course be asking the CFI about all this, but I thought id throw it open for debate

p.s Im doing the flight in a C172 with 3 p.o.b.

Cheers

Have done that trip before and know guys who do it regularly in single engine pistons. Your plan Corryong-Jindabyne-Merimbula is probably the best and well worn path. Not sure you'd need to extend to Albury before tracking to Corryong, you could track direct Corryong from either Benalla or Wangaratta. You'll want a minimum of 8500'. In summer you tend to get storms developing over the ranges in mid-late afternoon and if there's a strong wind blowing, it's likely to be from the west and can make for a bumpy ride and a slow trip on the east-west (return) leg.

Unfortunately there aren't too many "too careful" options to cross the great divide from Victoria. Alternatives will take you down Latrobe Valley then coastal or up through Canberra and across to Moruya but there's as much tiger country either of those ways.

Hi Matt..

Thanks for the reply..I might keep a couple of options up my sleeve that aren't coastal or that don't involve crossing the range as Im taking several pax who havent flown much before, and Id like to give them the most comfortable experience possible.Two hours of lumps and bumps might be a turn off:yuk:

Cheers