Dynon Skyview - simply amazing!!!

Guest Brett Campany

Rant alert!!

It is beautiful, so clear and easy to view while flying. Heaps easier to read that the previous dynons.

No, Jabiru in their wisdom didn't think I needed the Dynon GPS and therefore a lot of the functionality doesn't work. I have that now and just need to install it. Second one was that Jabiru decided I only needed 2 sensors for the CHT and cut off the extra cables. I asked why didn't they put in for all cylinders and they said they can do that and that will cost... Why didn't they just do that during the build. I was bitterly unhappy with such a capable device been dumbed down.

Just discovered a couple of weeks ago you can produce a flight plan to Google Maps in PocketFMS and there is a little conversion from a Dynon app and I can upload that. Pity I don't have the GPS yet and Jabiru cut off the USB cable due to interference with the radio. There are 2 USB ports on the back so I will work out a simple way of plugging in a stick.

What I especially like is the simplicity in changing the bugs. I'm upgrading to a PPL and it makes it simple since I'm not allowed to use the GPS.

[ATTACH]12123.vB[/ATTACH]

DSC00610.jpg.4ac7028ae136744d66acb3975a154f5a.jpg

It is beautiful, so clear and easy to view while flying. Heaps easier to read that the previous dynons.No, Jabiru in their wisdom didn't think I needed the Dynon GPS and therefore a lot of the functionality doesn't work. I have that now and just need to install it. Second one was that Jabiru decided I only needed 2 sensors for the CHT and cut off the extra cables. I asked why didn't they put in for all cylinders and they said they can do that and that will cost... Why didn't they just do that during the build. I was bitterly unhappy with such a capable device been dumbed down.

Just discovered a couple of weeks ago you can produce a flight plan to Google Maps in PocketFMS and there is a little conversion from a Dynon app and I can upload that. Pity I don't have the GPS yet and Jabiru cut off the USB cable due to interference with the radio. There are 2 USB ports on the back so I will work out a simple way of plugging in a stick.

What I especially like is the simplicity in changing the bugs. I'm upgrading to a PPL and it makes it simple since I'm not allowed to use the GPS.

[ATTACH]18970[/ATTACH]

I would be very disapointed as well.If a component can measure all CHT's.As in your case.6 cylinders.I would like to know what each cylinder is reading.I assume they put the sensors on the rear Cylinders?

I'm still going to have a second GPS because the Moving Map in the Skyview is basic and difficult to add the flight plan. I use another GPS with PocketFMS and can change flight plans while I'm flying, go to nearest, see boundaries etc etc.

Dynon will be releasing software for flight plans for about USD$500 and I don't know what the yearly update fee will be. Maybe one day it might be good but at this stage not as good as an external GPS.

I guess if someone has a recent J230D with their weight and balance we can compare. I like the fact I can glance quickly and get all the info in one spot where as with steam gauges I would have to scan a wider distance which means your eyes are in the cockpit for longer.m With the bugs it also easier to maintain heading though I think the aircraft is easier than a J160 for that.

Another little rant

031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif031_loopy.gif.791dd61f4721144544bc840fb53eec3f.gif

It is beautiful, so clear and easy to view while flying. Heaps easier to read that the previous dynons.No, Jabiru in their wisdom didn't think I needed the Dynon GPS and therefore a lot of the functionality doesn't work. I have that now and just need to install it. Second one was that Jabiru decided I only needed 2 sensors for the CHT and cut off the extra cables. I asked why didn't they put in for all cylinders and they said they can do that and that will cost... Why didn't they just do that during the build. I was bitterly unhappy with such a capable device been dumbed down.

[ATTACH]18970[/ATTACH]

Another Little rant

Thank you for letting me be aware that the Jab230 only comes with 2cht sensors!!

God knows why. Like you, I also assumed that my Jab will come with six cht sensors.

Why not?. Was it silly of me not to assume otherwise?

Jabiru response was "Normal Jab package comes with one sensor and the Dynon package they install is a four cylinder module. Again, it begs the question.

The reason Iam somewhat chagrined is that I pick up my new Jabiru 230 in a couple of weeks and now have to pay more than I thought I would have to for the installation of a six cylinder module and the extra sensors.

I didnt realise earlier that the GPS module was not included in the Dynon package that I was quoted. Another $500 dollars for that!

Jabiru would be better served if they produced a full list with prices of the Dynon skyview package.

What would you recommend I look for prior to taking ownership of my new plane?

Iam bursting with anticipation.

Talking about GPSs'. Iam thinking of getting the garmin aera 500 as a backup. Does

anyone have any useful comments about this product.

Hope to see all of you in the air sometime.031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

I understand Jabiru are an agent for Dynon. As my mate is still trying to get his SkyView working as it should in his 230 (including talking directly with Dynon at Oshcosh??spelling) I would be talking to Dynon directly regarding Jabiru's apparent poor instalation of their products.

Instead of getting the Dynon GPS you might be able to save money and connect your output of your GPS via NMEA to the skyview and use that for both. You don't have to have a Dynon GPS as far as I know.

I purchased the Dynon GPS and will get it installed on the 25 hourly. Don't want to do it myself. I'll get the sensors a little later.

As for lovely Jabiru, they don't seem to understand the requirement of the skyview. When I picked up my J230, the look on their faces when I said where was the GPS and it wasn't till I got back that I discovered the lack of sensors. I emailed the distributor in Horsham and he isn't impressed either.

Another thing, when I pulled the dash to look behind, one of the cables FELL of the mag switch. It was pretty loose, that's my next job.

Anyway, besides that, seeing the Jab and picking it up was amazing. Great plane to fly as well. It's just a pity they couldn't complete the deal with a completely satisfied customer. Felt let down by their replies to this situation.

I understand Jabiru are an agent for Dynon. As my mate is still trying to get his SkyView working as it should in his 230 (including talking directly with Dynon at Oshcosh??spelling) I would be talking to Dynon directly regarding Jabiru's apparent poor instalation of their products.

If you look at post #37, you'll see that Ian is now also a Dynon dealer.

I am warming more and more to non-steam gauges for the aircraft I want to build but I suppose the depth of my pocket and aircraft weight issues also have to be taken into consideration. The Skyview certainly looks impressive keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

have a look

Why not do yourselves a little favour have a look at, Levil it has a touch screen no buttons and a touch key pad and a GPS is programmed in as well.

To me this unit is so very special:clap: it has all the flight instruments, engine instruments,plus you can load a Nav/flight system in there as well.Think I can not mention the nav/flight(Australian) system by name.

The Levil unit with the flight planner loaded and running -- the weather can be up loaded with the dongle activated. Yes it has a dongle port.

The web site is.. Levil Aviation - Electronic Flight Instrument Systems

You all can laugh, I am taking all the flight instruments and engine instrument out, only leaving two flight instruments for back up. The dash wireing and all that jazz took me over a week to complete(full time), all that work is down the drain:crying:.

Regards,

Keith Page.

instuments

The two analogue instruments I will be leaving as back up in caes of electrical failure

(1) Airspeed indicator (2) Altimeter.

The compas it is something which lives on the top of the dash what ever the case.

In the event of electrical failure one can get to safety of the ground with those instruments. Who in their right would mind continue would continue their journey with electrical failure.

Regards,

Keeith Page.

• 2 weeks later...

Flight planner

Sentient AirNav VFR

I did not mention this flight planner by name 'cause there could have been a bit of trouble if I did. However I recieved some advice and all is OK if I name the flight planner.

Sentient AirNav VFR will load on to the Levil glass cockpit, with the AirNav up and running, the maps are at the fingers tips on the touch screen, now how simple is that no pencils falling on the floor grabbing the wrong map etc. etc.

There are heaps of great things we can do with the AirNav.

Regards,

Keith Page.