10 Degs. Cooler Oil Temps.

Guest JRMobile

Guest JRMobile

I have always had a problem with oil cooling and high oils temps. Over the years I have learned to live with it by doing a stagger climb if it was high ambient temps.

I decided to do something about it for this summer and purchased a kit from Jabiru and had it fitted by Sport Air in Lismore.

The test flight proved an eye opener with approx 10 deg. drop in oil temp and a reduction in CHT as a bonus. Its great when a plan comes together. 010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

1_Old_Oil.jpg

1_New_Oil.JPG

Guest Andys@coffs

Just out of interest, what was the cost, both from Jabiru and from the Lismore bunch. Is the engine the 4 or 6cyl motor. (pressuming 6 from the SP6 details about you)

What exactly was changed, is it per the last jabiru cooling advisory

Andy

Guest JRMobile

Andy

The cost of the kit was $851.40 plus install.

The kit contained the fiberglass cowl insert, new oil cooler, brackets and hose.

The decision to go ahead was based on discussions with the lame and I am unsure of "per the last jabiru cooling advisory"

and yes it is a six cyl.

Guest JRMobile

I cant quote accurate figures on the cost of the cowl fiber glassing as it was along the line of,

LAME needed a 3 phase power circuit run to a new lath machine and I am an electrical contractor, ;)

I needed new cooler installed and he is a very good fiberglass man.

Job done :thumb_up:

Guest JRMobile

Hi Phil

Went for another test fly this morning to check figures. Ambient temp was 27deg. with the inversion at about 3000ft with slightly higher temp, so a good test.

Oil temp in climbing cruise at 500 ft/min from 2000ft to 5000ft were fairly constant 93 / 95 degs. Dropping back to 80 degs in cruise.

CHT about 270/280 degs in climbing cruise back to 200 in cruise.

I cant be more accurate as I have the original steam gauges issued by Jabiru.

Hi PhilWent for another test fly this morning to check figures. Ambient temp was 27deg. with the inversion at about 3000ft with slightly higher temp, so a good test.

Oil temp in climbing cruise at 500 ft/min from 2000ft to 5000ft were fairly constant 93 / 95 degs. Dropping back to 80 degs in cruise.

CHT about 270/280 degs in climbing cruise back to 200 in cruise.

I cant be more accurate as I have the original steam gauges issued by Jabiru.

J

Looks like those mods gave you the oil temp result that we discussed at Cowra, so well done on that.

But your CHT's are confusing me. I just double checked the CHT stipulations in the manual for my 3300 and they say max continuous of 180 C, with max in climb of 200 C and with the time between the CHT between 180 C & 200 C is not to exceed 5 minutes.

If your temps are C they look hot and if they are F they look cool, and I've seen my No 2 hit 180 a couple of times on a long climb on a hot day.

As I am of the view (convinced even) that it is the high CHT's & EGT's that resulted from the Lean Burn kits, that have contributed to the valve issues, are you prepsred to advise further on your CHT's?

Best regards Geoff