That flat tyre feeling again....????

Guest Perry

Folks,

Have you ever had that sinking feeling whilst landing on a runway in what is deemed foreign territory? That left rear tyre is ripping up the wheel pants as it is flat as a pancake? Oops and you never carry all the tools and spares to replace it?

Well, due to crossing vast expanses, I have found myself this position a number of times...

I have now completed a full 12 months of experimentation as well as approx. 500 landings as part of the experiment. Here goes:

Everyone warned me not to use liquid run-flat gue (green in coulor with little black bits). Interestingly all the "experts" had never tried liquid puncture sealant themselves before. Here up in North Queensland we suffer punctures from goats head thorns - these are small little thorns that work their way through 6 ply! Frustrated from having suffered a double flat - yes both rears were punctured and I only found out when landing - talk about a brake- I decided to attempt some innovation.

I purchased 1 litre of the green liquid tyre sealant and new tubes. Then read the instructions and squirted approx 300ml into each tube on my 6" tyres on the DTA. I was concerned that I may suffer vibration from takeoff roll, however, I figured the worst would be 3 inner tubes for replacement.

Surprisingly, although I felt vibration on the first takeoff roll, the ride was smooth from thereon in! I have been running for 12 months on the gue without any issue. I find slight vibration on the first roll of the first flight from each day, but from thereon it is plane sailing.

I have found that the tyres have not needed any further inflation over the year and guess what??? No punctures!!!

I have reduced my expedition weight not having to carry spare tubes, run flat tyre inflators etc.

I have also found that I do not get too worried of the condition of the landing surface regarding thorns as I used to - this has resulted in access to more areas in the outback.

Hope this helps?

Guys,

I have recently tried Tru Blue Puncture Goo in my CT resulting in severe vibration with every take-off and landing, although assured by the supplier that the Goo remains liquid and distributes evenly around the circumference of the tire wall. Have since replaced all three tubes and lost the vibration.

I would really like this same "peace of mind" when touring, so if/when you try out this stuff I would love to hear the results.

Paul

Folks,

We did just chuck the bottle - no worries, I got it from my local castor supplier here in Townsville - I will dial him up after new year and advise.

Regards

• 7 months later...

Did you (or anyone else) get a brand name on the goo that caused no problems with vibration?

I'm also wondering if spinning the wheel with say a drill after squirting the goo in would help with distribution?? - or would it all just settle out (to the low point) after that?

Guest disperse

what if first thing in the morning do a quick taxi to distribute the goo ?

i used that stuff in a stroller in wellington nsw because of the same thorns (NASTY) , didnt work on the stroller, guessing not enough spin to distribute propperly

Guest Perry

Folks,

I was not able to track the brand down of the goo. But another year on and still going strong. I found that the initial take-off run is sufficient to get adequate distribution without too much vibration.

The goo is a distinct green with black bits of rubber in it.

Note that my wheels on the DTA are 6" aero wheels and I am sure that size has a lot to do with it. This certainly makes rough outfield landings a pleasure.

Regards

Perry

Guest GA/Triker

Green Goo

Hi guys, Just like to say that I too had problems with flat tyres. The green goo I purchased from Repco Auto Supplies did the trick. Its fantastic and I have never really noticed any vibration at all. In saying that though I am always taking off from a paddock so I may not necessarily be aware of it. In any event the Goo is brilliant...and no mor punctures.

I will find out the name and get back to you all.

;)

Hi Bushpilot,

The brand I use is called "Green Slime". Not sure if that is the name or if we call it that because it is green. Boufgt it at Autobarn here in Werribee. Not expensive and works well. I have been using it since 2003 and no punctures or vibration. Most of my flying is out of paddocks so it's probably saved me a heap of trouble

Cheers

John Canaway

Like you Fella's I've been using , green slime for years, my last set of tyres I replaced due to wear and age, and never had a puncture after using the slime. My replacement set were treated , immediatly as in my area the cat heads are as big and sharp, as Echidnas.!! No fibration, just spun them, and run down and back on the runway, Spot on.! Cut one of my old tubes open for curiosity, and found it evenly coated, a little thcker in the centre and remains of brocken thorn heads in the tyre casing. As you can tell , I would be without it were I am, and I see others using it more and more... Cheers lads..... Lance

Liquid Patch is a fibre based puncture sealant, which immediately & permanently protects both tube & tubeless tyres against punctures in the tread area up to 6mm in diameter. Liquid Patch repairs punctures from the inside out. When a tyre is punctured escaping air forces the sealant to the puncture site and repairs the leak creating a Liquid Patch. Some of the liquid will go through the hole to the outside of the tyre. When Liquid Patch is exposed to air, it dries and causes a permanent seal. Liquid Patch is easily installed through the tyre valve. It takes less than a few minutes per tyre. As the tyre rotates, the centrifugal forces spreads the liquid evenly over the inside casing. The tyre is now protected against punctures.

The above is from the sales sheet.

Cheers John Canaway

• 1 month later...

Guys - Update on this:

I have done a lot of homework on the products out there. The best I have found is "NoFlat" from Canada. The best thing is it remains fluid in the tyre for its entire live and does not deteriorate the rubber or wheel in any way. Thus no impact on balance.

A friend who is in the tyre wholesale business is bringing a few 25 litre drums in to Australia to test.

I'll stick some in my trike and roll over some nails in planks. We are doing the same test on car and truck tyres.

It it works out, we will talk to Ian about putting it in the Forum Shop.

Cheers,

Chris

Crusty,

The No Flat goo only required brief rotation of the wheel at 50% inflation - 10 revs max.

No the goo did not need any more rotation than a single takeoff - a little vibration was experienced but nothing out of the ordinary and worthy of concern.

The airframe takes off without distraction and I usually brake the wheels after rotation as a habit - I have three wheel braking on the DTA.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Perry

• 1 year later...

For anyone having doubts as to the sealability of this technology, there is a company in the USA producing a range of tyre sealants for various applications. The SP2000 product is claimed to be designed for our aircraft. Although, it may be nice to know that the SP6000 product claims to be able to seal bullet holes of 9mm from an AK47 assault rifle!! How big are those cats head burrs, again?

Specifications

Guest Andys@coffs

I used the green slime in my trike with no vibration issues at all. The same stuff in the J230 was a disaster with serious vibrations. Clearly the increase in speed had a profound effect.

For the Jabbie some lots more than usual ply tyres solved the problem with the benefit that the number of ply almost made inflation an optional extra.....

Andy

Just read your thread. I am convinced I obviously put to much goo in each tyre when I tried it, felt like the front of the Outback was going to shake off on leaving the ground. It is winter and no thorns in the Hunter Valley at the moment but I am going to have toput some in my new 912 Outback before summer arrives.

Another solution I currently use is to have a ready prepared spare wheel with tube & tyre already on & inflated and a brake disk also fitted. This permanently sits in the rear of the jab and the weight can be factored in as part of the ballast. A flat then simply requires the unbolting of the wheel and bolting on the new one, 4 bolts, leaving the flat to be fixed later.