Great Eastrern Fly-in Evans Head

Scottw

Gidday Geoff,

Finally got here to Caboolture. The weather is on the improve I think. We will head up to Orchid Beach Saturday. There are quite a few from here heading down to Evans Head after chatting to Neil in a J120 so have a great day

Terry

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JRMobile

Weather on the north coast is marginal at the present time but the forecast is looking good for Sat/Sun.

Hope to catch up with some forum members over the weekend.

Cheers

John

You all have a good time this weekend whilst us guys in the West swelter through (inland at least) some 'Catastrophic Fire Danger' conditions. I'm leaving at 4.30am tomorrow morning to drive to Northam 1.5 hours away, hoping to get .5 - 1 hour in before the wind gusts up and the thermals start booming - forecast temperature of 41 degrees tomorrow at YNRM. It looks like the conditions will be ok early - hoping so anyway as I haven't flown since before Christmas.

All the best for a great weekend at Evans Head

Pud

Guest JRMobile

Weather looking great this moring, where Iam in the hills north of Lismore - nill wind, clear sky, early fog patches.

Good day for a flight!

Cheers

John

Guest Andys@coffs

Today I managed to talk my significant other half, on the day of our 22nd wedding anniversary, at some personal risk to appendages:black_eye: , to accompany me to Evans Head in the J230. :thumb_up:

Given its hangared at South Grafton that isn't exactly a journey of bladder stretching proportions...still, for someone who gets airsick looking at pictures of planes I think she did rather well, perhaps a trip up to Bundaberg isn't out of the question yet....

Weather was perfect as JR identified in the post prior, and my wife with some surprise said she could have brought her hand stitching along and done it while enroute...for all 40 minutes... The trip back at around 11:30EST was bumpier as we flew under some smaller CB's

Anyway some pictures of the outing for those that couldn't attend:-

Startup at South Grafton, around 8:15am EST[ATTACH]9643.vB[/ATTACH]

Weather on the way, clear, with the occasional mini CB[ATTACH]9644.vB[/ATTACH]

Evans head as we turned downwind for 18, traffic light to medium[ATTACH]9645.vB[/ATTACH]

On final for 18 (I fluffed it, too high, just under 80kts at touch down, used whole runway to slow down[ATTACH]9646.vB[/ATTACH]

Some warbirds were there, most to extract some serious $$$ from those that could afford a flight [ATTACH]9647.vB[/ATTACH]

Some flightless warbirds as well[ATTACH]9648.vB[/ATTACH]

Some more modern war(less) birds [ATTACH]9652.vB[/ATTACH]

A couple of Pitts[ATTACH]9650.vB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9651.vB[/ATTACH]

A bigass yellow single engine beast that was huge[ATTACH]9653.vB[/ATTACH]

There were choppers doing joyflights...at times commercial realities seemed to make circuit adherence a bit optional, but to be fair it was pretty busy airspace[ATTACH]9649.vB[/ATTACH]

On the way back home we went coastal and turned inland at Yamba, top place to set up a caravan or tent [ATTACH]9654.vB[/ATTACH]

And finally, the obligatory T Shirt (or Polo in this case) for me and the intrepid passenger[ATTACH]9655.vB[/ATTACH]

Airspace was busy in the few hours we were there, however it was fun. I heard Brisbane Center making reference to the fly-in, and the fact that there were so many VFR aircraft, many not painting SSR returns in the area. Given Ballina was just up the road a few clicks, and that there are jetstar A320's and VirginBlue 737's in the area it sounded to me that center was a tad anxious.... they referred to the fact that there was no NOTAM about the flying, perhaps for next yr one might be put together with ASA.

Anyway, not a bad way to spend a Saturday

Andy

816932208_YSGRatstartup.jpg.afd8bbcd7060f0a697dae0766aafcde0.jpg

2113981152_weatherontheway.jpg.6500375ea354f5dd3a7e39f27bd178dc.jpg

1616514780_EvansHeadTownship.jpg.59148e48444616cb9f6110aa25a54d7a.jpg

500465891_Onfinalfor18.JPG.bc1c081bec1116d0681d902ed458b864.JPG

Warbird.jpg.9214631fa0230f229ea2135d0a387873.jpg

warbird_flightless.jpg.a525f34823780500ca305d05fbec1fc5.jpg

chopper_joy_flights_female_pilot.jpg.749bb300414aea9e7668d0d62cf325b4.jpg

Pitts.jpg.668fc8811a865f21588c915fcf0ce5c6.jpg

Pitts_panel_passenger.jpg.e467e2cd85272c20627efccff3593d7d.jpg

CT4.jpg.c42a00f5e80718b0c459f437b035f36b.jpg

Worlds_biggest_single_engine_plane.jpg.58c99b3317fe32a3c5bece1708231bf3.jpg

383581928_Yamba_from2500.jpg.c2d81b74733c0ab1ee429fc20081d619.jpg

The_Been_there_done_that_T_shirt.jpg.a2db9c41625d4383aefac2b762307713.jpg

If all go's to plan... will be spearing down in the Arrow tomorrow... Hope to see some of you!:thumb_up:

Yep...looks like I'll be taking Tomo down in the arrow...I will also have a few left over polo shirts from 2008 Dalby Wings & Wheels to give away as well if anyone is interested.016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

What's the rego Tomo, I'll keep an eye out for you?

Aww can't remember...? I'll Pm you my mobile... so if we don't meet up, shoot us a text or something.

HI all, great day yesterday at the fly-in, (dont forget the sunscreen). Not much display flying, due to to much traffic, in and out of the place. Not a bad turn out.Spent most of the morning after looking around, sitting under Tims wing C-172, in deck chairs(hard to find shade). The p-51d, was busy doing joy rides. Boonah guys were a little concerned about the clouds, to the north west. Found david Isaac's, landcruiser , but unfortunatly missed meeting him in person. Weather alot better today.Cheers

Just arrived home, medium rare despite slathering on the sunscreen. Geez, the sun is back with a vengeance!

Very impressed with the whole setup, free entrance and there was action of one sort of another all day, to the extent that I didn't manage to get to see all of the aircraft parked down the far end - eg only spotted a bunch of Cessna taildraggers as they took off in quick succession. Ah, the T-38 and the Mustang, beautiful, as always. Big thrill seeing Matt Hall put his Giles through its paces, my youngster dived in and got an autographed poster, mush to his delight.

Caught up with Tomo (and Mum), Dunlop Dangler was around but didn't manage to put a face to the name - next time. dazza, looked for your vehicle, what time did you get away? Plenty of photos to look through, I'll post a few later.

:thumb_up: Evans Head Memorial!

Same here... Had an absolute ball today!! was blown away with the activity's they had going.

Will post a hand full of picture's for all to see in the next little bit. Was great to meet up with "Spin" and family, I missed Slarti by a hairs breath... but managed to get the much wanted picture!! And I video'd the take off... No mucking about! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

And DunlopDangler is an absolute legend! :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up:

HI spin, only went yesterday, came home yesterday arvo, the misses got a little sun burned. Spent most of the day with Tim, and sitting under his cessna's wing (sexy) Vh-sxi hence the name SEXY . Spent a bit of time with cloudsuck yesterday. It sounds like there was a bitmore aeros today than yesterday. We saw the Paul Bennett strut his stuff, but mainly, just catching up with the guys and chilling out. Im flying 5395 next Saturday, 7 to 9. Will you be at Boonah?

Hi dazza, I can sympathise with your other half, the sun was fairly fierce! Yes, planning to go out next weekend, probably Saturday although depends on a/c availability. My youngster is champing at the bit for his next ride, he was very torn whether to go to Evans Head or Boonah this weekend.

Same here... Had an absolute ball today!! was blown away with the activity's they had going.Will post a hand full of picture's for all to see in the next little bit. Was great to meet up with "Spin" and family, I missed Slarti by a hairs breath... but managed to get the much wanted picture!! And I video'd the take off... No mucking about! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

And DunlopDangler is an absolute legend! :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up:

Top pictures Tomo, the weather, looking at you pictures looked Good. Yesterday their was a bit more cloud than today.Im glad you had a good time their.cheers :big_grin:

We really need some sort of secret handshake. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I think I missed most of you. I was there yesterday and left this morning. I met David Isaacs and Slarti (thanks to the T-shirt) but unfortunately not the rest. I did see SXI too, walked past it a few times.