Tail Shake

XP503

Hey guys just wondering if any other of you Drifter-Drivers get a tail shake in your aircraft when your out and about....

I fly SB582 models and I have always noticed a very subtle tail shake which I can also feel through the control stick...

I can turn around and see the tail feathers shake every now and then.

I have noticed that the trim tab is able to move a little bit and may be causing very slight flutter....

Anyone else out there noticed this?

My SP6 tailwheel Jab had a vibration/shake that I couldn't identify. Obad and I think that we found it during recent work on the a/c. We spun the tailwheel up using compressed air.... same shake. I have added a friction device to stop the wheel turning in-flight. I haven't had a chance yet to check if we've fixed it. You might have the same thing.

Ah yea, I didn't think of the tailwheel.

When you think about how much the main wheels shake after take off it seems quite possible....

Need to invent a mini-brake for the tailwheel haha

Guest Maj Millard

Davidmason 1, Yes used to get the same thing in my 582 CB, seemed to be more severe whilst climbing. I had no trim tab fitted, so you can count that one out. It seemed to dissappear if you held a bit of foward stick. I did fly the plane once without the rear seat in, and it wasn't there !!.....more likley the result of a bit of a bit of disturbed air rolling across the tail. I agree it can be a bit disturbing at times.......................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, my 503WB did that but only at a very defined Attitude on climb out. It scared me so I rang wayne fisher, he said most drifters will have one position at which turbulant air flows across the tailplane. I would simply avoid this by adjusting my climb out.

Both my drifter and fisher would get the odd strange vibration, mainly noticable after a long time on the ground when I was a bit nervous, never really pinned down if it was me or the drifter. Maybe the drifter was scared because it was over 1500ft?? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

They each have personality you realise?

Guest skyspud

All the Drifters at work get flutter at certain AOA at low speed and lower power. This goes away if I apply more power and thus more speed at same AOA.

The wings are coping fine providing lift, but the tail plane is near stalling.

skyspud

Go fast and take chances

Cool, thanks for your responses guys. G'day Skyspud, what's the latest happenings out at kuppun? Much happening at the drifter factory, is it a worthwhile trip for a look around the factory I was thinking of heading out that way...

• 2 months later...
Guest keeffe

I had the same in my maxair replaced the tail wires and that sorted it out. When i got rid of the brolga it smoothed out more again. but with the tail wires i had pitch control issues where the aircraft was hard to trim out on top of a gut renching vibration. smmooth now.

• 2 months later...
Hey guys just wondering if any other of you Drifter-Drivers get a tail shake in your aircraft when your out and about....

Yeah, been flying a Maxair Drifter for 22 years,have had 582`s with 4 blade brolga and 503`s with 3 blade Ivo, has never made much of a difference,on mine tail shake occurs mostly at low airspeed and high AOA,( Please don`t ask what I do at low airspeed and high AOA.):devil:

Make sure your wires and all hardware are in good condition and it won`t fall off, I hope.:clown:

Cheers,

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• 1 month later...