NGK Iridium plugs - anyone?

jetjr

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or any Repco or Auto 1. Haggle and u can get them down to $14. They are good for 500+ hours - so end up cheaper than normal NGKs at every 100 hours..

Chris

Jab recommended a couple of years ago

infact they installed when I had motor there for work

Must depend on who you talk to I guess

US $5.95 plus freight on the web today

phil

• 2 years later...

It IS a no go with magneto's same as with resistor leads. You would be lucky to get a a days running with a motorbike and original type magneto. using them There is excessively high resistance in the secondary windings circuit, which make them prone to failure by internal leakage in the coil. Aircraft ones are the same principle..I don't know what you do about radio noise. The usual thing is shielding. Your plug gaps will increase more with no resistors as there are more amps in the circuit but that is a bigger spark, which can't hurt the engines performance.. Nev

Just my opinion, I have done a lot in the engine world and I go down to a local Toyota store and buy cheap as chips, common genuine ND (NipponDenso or just Denso) plugs as they are simply the best. Period. A billion+ ultra reliable Toyota vehicles as proof and now many other brands use them, BMW etc.

They have an amazingly wide heat range and just great quality and reliability above any other brand I have ever used especially in older air cooled 2 stroke race engines where dead plugs are common - but you can't kill an ND.

• Winner 1

Must have lenty of money of you buy spares from toyota or any of the manufacturers

About the only mechanical parts pipeline worse than aviation for excessive price for basic parts

toyota have similar problems to anything else just a much larger marketing budget

I not questioning the quality though but never had a spark plug issue.....ever

Yep, how much are "W16EXR-U" from toyota?

Leave for work 10 minutes early one day, stop at a dealership and ask?

$8 oil filter cost $20

Cut a Ryco/No Brand and a Toyota/OEM filter in half one day and find out why. Plenty of OEM parts are quite expensive it's true, but on the other hand, plenty of their stuff is more expensive for a reason - and it fits first time, those in workshops know what I mean by that.

toyota have similar problems to anything else just a much larger marketing budget

Toyota actually are responsible for developing most of the QC & QA systems, controls and checks that are common throughout all manufacturers and that make our cars the almost bulletproof reliable machines they are today.

I'm not a big Toyota fan by the way, facts are facts though.

My nearest toyo dealer is 70km away but guess i could phone them if i cared enough.

Could also order OEM spec plugs from Jabiru.....which are NGKD9EA.

If i or others were going to go away from manufacturer spec on plug it wouldnt be to another std plug type.

Jab recommend normal NGK as std, and verbally support NGK Iridium use and from my experience theres a solid improvement in several ways including far longer life.

Regarding filters, sure there can be differences, web is filled with debate. Plenty of OEM stuff rolls of same production lines, used to and still do occassionally see OEM branding under paint on cheaper brands.

Other key issue is that a finer or different filter may not have the same flow or pressure drop as original. Then theres the issue that we change them every 25 hrs. Jabirus have oil pressure sensitivities so need to be careful changing.

UK and US Jabiru owners debate this alot as they cant source Ryco or Jabiru filters

Ive cut up many rycos, every service in fact

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

ANY brand of plug can fail IF certain things happen, one of which is getting the insulator contaminated with oils that have anti scuffing additives in them. The insulator gets coated with these metal salts and the heat fuses them into the surface.This is more likely to happen where the motor allows oil to pass by the rings or the motor has worn inlet valve guides.

It will happen first when the engine is on high load, not where you do the MAG checks. Personally I would only run the cheaper plugs and change them at 25 hours or so. You can get them for about $2.80. The insulators rarely crack as they used to in the olden days. Don't forget the anti seize on the threads but none inside the head. Nev

...Regarding filters... a finer or different filter may not have the same flow or pressure drop as original... Jabirus have oil pressure sensitivities so need to be careful changing...

My engine shows pretty high oil pressure, which is said to risk pumping up the hydraulic lifters. Seems like choice of filter is pretty important. Which one retards flow enough to control pressure?

• Agree 1

They're specified for my car (magna) because getting to the back row of cylinders requires removing the inlet manifold, which is a pain. Iridiums last almost forever, so they're great in that setting. But the plug are so easy to get to in a jab.

They will last longer, and probably have a slightly less requirement for voltage needed due to the design of the points. I would use them in speedway and motor cross because you need the best and you don't want any sort of misfire for reliability and control of the bike. They also get used where some plugs are hard to get to.

In cars I run the ordinary ones to 50,000 kms and the Indium to over double that. My view is we change plugs frequently in aircraft engines so shouldn't have any trouble with the ordinary ones. IF you have lot's of money then the indium ones won't do any damage (except to your pocket) but I'd still be changing them fairly often rather than running them for longer. We don't have good aircleaners either and the dust builds up on the insulators too. The insulators run at a dull red heat to clean themselves of carbon. Thats why the correct heat range is SO important. ( A subject that NEVER seems to be discussed here, even though I for one have brought it up at least five times.) Nev

• Informative 1

Since it affects the insulator mainly I would think, no difference. Larger plugs 18 mm may fare better as there is more room for grunge to go without shorting it out. They are too bulky for engines with small bores. and especially if both plugs are on the one side. (like Jabiru) Nev

Since it affects the insulator mainly I would think, no difference. Larger plugs 18 mm may fare better as there is more room for grunge to go without shorting it out...Nev

Does this mean lead build-up may necessitate a plug change even with iridiums?

• Haha 1

Been on iridium plugs for around 350 hours now.

I changed with the advice of Don from Jabiru when visiting the factory about 5 years ago.

His comments from memory were that he had them in his plane and commented that the temps were cooler and better starting along with longer life and more revs, he was quite convinced as to the benefits.

I changed my second set recently only because the lame doing the 100 hourly went by the book and put in new Jab plugs

I use avgas gas exclusively so no problems at all ( old Koreelah)

Mate with a J 160 gets around 200 hours plus and only changes for pease of mind.

Have indicated my interest in further purchase from Jetjr to Bring the cost down re freight for all who order in bulk.

Highly recommend

PHIL.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2