NGK Iridium plugs - anyone?

jetjr

Yep agree with what Don and Phil said

Certainly easier start and smoother running

Mine runs very cool and this could be related. No issue t all with avgas.

Done 400 hrs using them and wont go back. Cost is rising though, used to be 30% dearer now more like double

Not sure on the source of $2.80 ones Nev. I agree with you on temp range but havent seen anyone investigate or clarify the problem. Not even sure of what heat ranges available in that plug spec

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$2..80 is a good price for the standard plugs Some of the shielded ones are about $50 plus in 18 mm. To have the right heat conductivity you need solid washers torqued to a specified setting. Fitting heat sensors under plugs will alter their effective heat range, yet we do this without compensating ever. You should probably run a colder plug in those circumstances. Nev

Ive been running them in the LCH 3300. Definatly easyer starting , but im not sure how they can make an engine run cooler ???

Last time i flu , about 3 weeks ago , the engine" ran on "on shut down , i put it down to stale mogas?

Or maybe glowing tips on the iridium plugs ?

• Informative 1

No , ive removed the under plug and have attached as per jab mod for cht

6 sensers , im inclined to think that a spout of 40 deg days evaperated all the octain out of the 95 mogas ,

Ive drained all fuel and awaiting some avgas ,

Golly That's not cheap. $32....

AVOCET. No. You eliminate the high head temps possibility with them (as you know). You wouldn't get away with aircooled heads in your plane, most likely.

I was concerned about the washers. Normally in an aero engine you use plain (not plane) washers and tension them carefully with a wrench. It (The tension figure) even varies from engine to engine (make and model) Your cooler running heads would aid the plug running cool. I'm not keen on engines running on generally. A piece of incandescent carbon will be enough to cause it. Having a faster idle makes it happen easier too. Nev

• Like 1

Repco have 20% off saleSo I thought i will get a price on iridium plugs

$32 each

I got mine of ebay , $14 , checked yesterday and there $ 18 each free postage from melbourne

The search ; ngk iridium dr9eix .

These are for the jabiru

Yours is not really a Jabiru anymore. The quoted plug is for an aircooled model. As I've always advocated running slightly colder plugs than recommended, you are in effect doing that. Having too hot a plug could be a cause of engine failure, but the worst thing a cold one MIGHT do is soot up a bit on taxiing. I really doubt that is ever going to happen, so I reckon the best plug is the coldest one you can get away with. The projecting part of the white insulator into the engine is shorter and fatter on a colder plug (as more heat escapes out of the tip). IF they are too hot they act as a glow plug. Nev

• Informative 1

Ive been running them in the LCH 3300. Definatly easyer starting , but im not sure how they can make an engine run cooler ???Last time i flu , about 3 weeks ago , the engine" ran on "on shut down , i put it down to stale mogas?

Or maybe glowing tips on the iridium plugs ?

Mine ran on a couple of weeks ago when on mostly mogas 95. I've found it doesn't with 10% or more a gas. Normal plugs.

Mine ran on a couple of weeks ago when on mostly mogas 95. I've found it doesn't with 10% or more a gas. Normal plugs.

My 95 mogas was a bit stale after a week of realy hot 40 ish + .

Now i think about it my old 2200 i had a few years ago did the same on 95 ???

I wonder if the small tips of the iridium plugs make them more susceptible to running on ??

My 95 mogas was a bit stale after a week of realy hot 40 ish + .Now i think about it my old 2200 i had a few years ago did the same on 95 ???

I wonder if the small tips of the iridium plugs make them more susceptible to running on ??

Hope not; I'll find out with my next plug replacement.

Since they are often used for racing (Particularly in two strokes) I would hope not. You are paying top dollar for those plugs and they should be well tested. If you have taxied for a few minutes peak temps would drop rapidly on plug tips

• Informative 1

A thousand pardons folks. I have been calling the dearer plugs INDIUM. I have been working with various bronze bearing alloys and that is a plated material they use, as an overlay, and I have been writing about it, recently.

IRIDIUM I meant. Bugga me. A typing hand must get a memory in it. or I need a holiday. Hope I haven't confused anyone. Nev

• Like 1

Chased up NGK.....the iridium equivalent to our usual plugs, is the dr9eix, my query to them .....what is the next cooler to the dr9eix......answer.....there isn't.

• Agree 1

Russ It's very hard to get plug references outside of from a model of late vehicle, where you can't use another type of plug "legally". Vehicles towing caravans would ping on a long hill but there wasn't another to choose from, to correct the problem. You can get around it but it isn't easy to find an outlet with the comparison charts. Nev