296 Terrain database corrupt?

My 296 has just recently developed a bit of an issue. Basically the terrain map has gone a bit screwy. It seems as though the map over my home area has corrupted itself. When zoomed out, it's fine, but closer in, one 'tile' of the map just disappears, and the next one south has grown some extra hills, triggering the terrain warnings as I fly over them. The screen shots show this better. Spoke with Garmin Aust who passed me over to a Sydney agent, who directed me to the US website, but with no real help. I don't really want to fork out the US$150 for a new terrain map if it's not going to help though (considering the unit was bought new less than a year ago). Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Peter

20nm.gif.07bd6c20081f3fc2d2dc12f5251eb625.gif

5nm.gif.4ef729f23ef5f3a9654c3a6a73f26a85.gif

5nm2.gif.fbd3066a07b33566da89d68c83b1caf5.gif

5nm3.gif.f1f87fab56be8d1aeb1720a0480992c6.gif

Hi Papafox, sorry i cant realy help you, but being bought less than a year ago, i thought they would come to the party and look at it.(how long is the warranty go for ?). Regardless, i realy think you should be able to send it to the Aussie distributor for them to have a look at it and fix it. I hope it works out for you.

The procedure suggested here is based on the Victorian jurisdiction but all states have similar legislation to protect consumers (Fair Trading Act Vic) and small claims are generally heard in a tribunal (VCAT) which avoids the need for expensive legal representation.

Read the factory warranty and determine if it is still within the stated period. If the warranty is current you have an action for breach of contract.

The store that supplied the item to you has the prime obligation for satisfying the warranty and they must either repair to reasonable working order or replace it. The store then makes its claim against the importer/distributor.

Even if the warranty period is less than 12 months from date of purchase, you may still have a complaint that the item is not 'fit for purpose'.

Contact the supplier that you purchased it from and advise them that the item is not performing as it should and you wish them to arrange repair or replacement or whatever... ie offer a solution to the problem. Confirm this in writing.

If no satisfactory response is received within say 14 days, contact the consumer affairs people in your state and seek their assistance. You will need to make a complaint in writing. Enclose a copy of your letter to the supplier.

Consumer affairs will endeavour to problem solve if appropriate but will also prosecute blatant breaches of fair trading legislation. These are prosecuted in the Magistrates' Court.

It is more likely, however, if it gets to this stage that you will have to lodge a claim against the supplier in the small claims list of your administrative tribunal (VCAT). Remedies include specific performance of contract terms and compensation.

The person (whether real or a corporation) who supplied the item to you may join the manufacturer/distributor in the action to force them to satisfy their warranty. Unlike court actions where costs usually follow the event, each party in a tribunal action usually bears its own costs but check out your local scene carefully before heading down this track.

Please note that the foregoing is a general discussion of some of the options that may be available and does not take into account your specific circumstances. The advice contained therein does not constitute and must not be construed as being the provision of a legal service within the meaning of the Legal Profession Act 2004. Before taking any action it is strongly recommended you seek independent legal advice from a consumer advocacy centre in your home state.

kaz

Karen W Gurney

LLB(Hons), BAppSc(Biol), Deakin; GradDipLPrac, LC; DipAppChem, SIT; ADASc(ResMngt), Frankston; DTS; DipPSMngt, RMIT.

Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just a question, i thought when i brought my 296 they was sposed to load all the maps ect into it, got a trip to Caboolture tomorrow and thought i just plug a course save me searching on route, nd ummmmm YCAB dont exsist on this, is this normal, like it has all little towns ect even ones with dirt strips with nothing else but it doesnt have caboolture, what the, so it on to my ol trusty 72 for the trip.

Just wondering can i upload new maps and places ect, though i a bit worried after reading some of the above posts.

Bones I think the problem with Australia is that we don't have the flying population to warrant including detail they might include in the USA. YCAB wasn't in my GPS units either. I just entered it in as a user waypoint. Before you do a flight check if you are going to any smaller strips/waypoints and enter them in if required.

• 9 months later...

Lost Jeppesen Database

It took me a while to track down this thread, but I finally found it.

This morning, on the 2nd occasion I started up my Garmin 296, it told me "Aviation waypoint deleted (OK)".

I immediately shutdown the GPS and restarted it. There appeared to be no Jeppesen database since there were no airport waypoints listed and the blue C-class airspace boundaries were gone. On that occasion I did manage to hit the Menu button, select Map Information and by de-selecting the "Pacific Intl Aviation XXXX" database, then exiting to the map screen and coming back in and re-selecting it again, was able to get it working again.

Later tonight, after I'd updated firmware to the latest version 5.9 and probably a bit more tired I made the mistake of hitting the Enter button when I started it up and it announced "Aviation waypoint deleted (OK)". This time the aviation database really was gone! There was no bringing it back this time!

I subsequently spent an hour working out how to and then downloading the current Pacific Jepessen database from the Garmin website, which cost me $60 and it all seems to be working again.

The question remains though, as to why the Garmin296 decided it wanted to delete its aviation database . . .

As for carrying up to date maps, the GPS is not recognised by CASA or Airservices as a legally legitimate record of airspace etc. (As I understand it) So I have to carry a current ERSA and required maps anyway - so I had not updated the Pacific Aviation Database on the GPS since I bought it new in March 2008.

Curious to know if anyone else has been having their Garmin GPS's deciding to make uncommanded deletions.

Cheers,

Glen

From whom did you buy the GPS Papafox?

IIRC, Mendelssohn's.

I can't really complain about it anymore... I kept forgetting to get on to the job to get it fixed. Still haven't, so I just don't rely on the terrain map (shouldn't anyway).

The terrain maps are only really for entertainmant value. I have been flying in valleys in the southern QLD area well below close peaks and the data base didn't show any higher terrain. Look out the window if you want to see where the hills are. The database problem is more serious, how old is your GPS? I have a few Garmins of various models and used them over a few years and never had a problem.