Movie and still photos from a trike

Ray:

Keep a close eye on that converter program. I think it's pretty unstable. It hung my computer so badly that I had to physically unplug it to end the program. Neither Process Explorer nor Windows task manager could kill the program after it hung.

Yes it has been undergoing development - they say the current latest release is "now stable with previous problems fixed" ( time will tell ) so they have obviously had stability problems in the past. Seems to be working fine for me at present - touch wood.

All,

I wouldn't really like to recommend any converter. I've had good, consistent results from programs - both bought and downloaded free - in the past, only to find that either the conversion programs or the files themselves go into a sort of "Mark three-and-a-half" metamorphosis and nothing works any more.

Is it necessary to convert to FLV before uploading to YouTube? I thought you could put up straight WMV files, which would be converted at the YouTube end.

Scott, Ray

I can see that it might be a case of photographic horses for courses. The control bar method may be for wide-angled lenses only, as in the example at the beginning of this thread. I can also see where the control bar-mounted camera could cause problems, both in aviating and in the vulnerability of the camera itself.

I might do a bit of practical research before I head off to the high plains to photograph brumbies at 500 feet!

Jim

Hi Jim

Trouble is format out of the JVC ( and some other) camera seems to need converting to use in anything other than JVC software. Yes some programs ( $ ) can read the format but they still usually convert it from what I can see, so stuck between a rock and a hard place you need to use something or just burn to DVD or play in specific software.

Hi Ray

Yes, I have a JVC myself. There is, I think, a simple answer to the problem of the file type. Just manually change it.

If the file name is whatever.mod, just change it to whatever.mpg

Someone told me a few years ago that JVC (don't know about other cameras) actually takes straight mpg / mpeg movies but, for reasons of their own, give the the .mod thing on the end.

Try it on a .mod file. You can always change it back!

Cheers, Jim

Weather looks nice up there, Scott.

The camera might be better off to one side, but, if you have a look at the scenery beyond the dancing-around pod, you can see that it stays fairly stable and makes for better viewing. Apart from when you're necessarily moving the bar when landing, the camera mounted there stays steady.

The bloke who did my sample movie worked out that the most stable part of the microlight is the wing and, consequently, the control bar, which is part of it. Not the perfect solution to all trike photography, but not bad for landscape stuff.

Glad you got down without eating the camera!

Cheers, Jim

Lance:

Thanks for the compliment. I used a Kodak Zi8 pocket video camera mounted on a mount that I got from Airborne. It straps on to the bar with some Velcro straps and is reasonably stable for a light camera like the Zi8. Just ask the good folks at Airborne about the mount. From memory, I think it cost me around $70.00.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ,

I got interested / thrown into, filming from microlight while working in Zambia at Victoria Falls, we got a lot of foreign film crew using our planes as a cheep, slow and accessible platform to get the footage of the falls, Zambezi and the wildlife in the nearby National park.

Some used conventional High Definition movie cameras on the shoulder of the operator in the back seat, sometimes standing and shooting forward and over my head, sometimes sitting side saddle and hanging out to the full extent of the slackened seat belt, one Japanese camera man wanted to attach a harness and stand on the strut out the side to shoot leaning out over the left wheel.

I saw several crews use a very nice camera called a VIO POV Version 1.1 or 1.2,

It has a high quality lens mounted on the end of a high Tec 1.5 meter cable linking to the main control/capture assembly which has the LED screen, hard drive and other controls in a robust water resistant hand held unit, so the lens can be fixed out onto the control bar or strut etc, Im sure you will find it on a search.

We shot stills with a Canon G10 digital, triggered with the standard Canon wired remote with the obvious extended wiring out to the camera on the LHS wingtip.,

The shots would be downloaded from the card and burnt to CD by the time the client got their flight suit off and the credit card out.

Anyway I am looking to mount something similar on my little outback here in the Outback so when I get something decent I will post it.

Cheers, John.

POV 1.5 camera

G'day all,

I have just purchased a POV 1.5 action camera. At the moment I mount the camera on my helmet where I have found out just how much you move your head around in flight. It is early days for me so still getting used to it, my CFI bought one at the same time and has his mounted on the trailing edge of the wing approximately half way between trike and tip which gives a great shot of the trike and forward of the trike with the wide angle lens.

I have inquired about using a second camera head with the same control unit so that I would be able to switch between camera's but unfortunately such an animal does not exist with one supplier suggesting that I purchase a second entire unit (typical salesperson).

The POV camera unit is great so if anyone out there knows of or can make a switching box I would appreciate your comments.

WP 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

Hi Crusty,

I had a look at the POV and will probably get one, but I'd be interested (as would others) in having a look at what you film with it and how it all turns out.

The wing mounting sounds interesting. Much more stable than a helmet, or even the pod.

Cheers, Jim

The POV camera unit is great so if anyone out there knows of or can make a switching box I would appreciate your comments.

Hi Crusty,

I assume your talking about camera selection by "switching box". If you are, I have used a video switch box in the past and it worked great. They typically switch the connector on one side to any one of 3 or 4 connectors on the other side. I velcroed mine to the inside floor of the pod on my trike.

They can be had for $10-$20 from Dick Smith, Jaycar and probably anywhere that sells TV's like Harvey Norman, Big W, Kmart etc . . .

Cheers,

Glen

POV 1.5 Camera

G'day guys,

I have only had a couple of attempts at filming with my new POV so not in a position to show anything yet and the video editing program supplied with the camera can only be described as crap. I am in the process of getting a decent program and hope to have something to show then.

In the mean time the CFI at Maitland (Airborne Upper Hunter Flight Trainng) has posted on youtube I think he called it Manfreds solo flight.

With respect to the camera selection, the trouble I am faced with is the plug/pin sockets, I have inquired at Jaycar, Dick Smiths and a couple of electronics firms with no success. I will try and post pictures of the plugs in the pictures and albums section for your reference.

WP i_dunno