Rotax 582 vs Jabiru 2200 engine

Guest fraser

Fraser:I fly Avid Flyer Aircraft and flew my model B for 2400 hours with a grey head 582 and then changed to Jabirus for another 1980 hours.

First a summary then the pros and cons.

I bought my Avid in 1990 and have had 5 different engines in it since that time. It came with a Rotax 532 with single ignition and rope start. I got rid of that one quickly and installed a used Rotax 582. Flew it for several hours and had it overhauled a couple times. It had a C box and no starter. I hand proped it.

Then I pulled that one and installed a new 582 with an Ebox with built in starter. I ran 100% synthetic oil which I mixed by hand in the fuel. I ran it 100:1 ratio and got 500-600 hours between overhauls. I believe this is due to the fact that I fly a lot of hours and because of the synthetic oil. The 2 strokes only had minor issues.

The pros in the 582: They are one of the cheapest power plants. You can swing a longer prop due to the gear box.

The cons of the 582: All Rotax parts are very expensive. They start out light and simple in concept, but after you install the heavy muffler, two carbs which have to be syncronized, short TBO times (recommended at 300 hours) and oil container for the injection oil. water with anti freeze, rotary valve oil supply, water hoses and radiators you now have a much heavier and more complex engine. Oh...and the chain saw sound.

How about the Jabiru 2200s:

These are very simple engines with one constant depression carb (somewhat altitude compensating) and light weight. Almost the same as the fully equiped 582 at about 130-135 pounds. The 1st one I had was one of the early hyd lifter conversions.

At 200 hours all the valve guides were worn and replaced on warranty. At that time the valves should have also been replaced, but weren't so at 585 hours it sucked an exhaust valve and I dead sticked back to the airport with no damage. The #3 piston was busted, the rod was bent so I took to my dealer in Fresno (no longer in business) and he rebuilt the engine . After I got it back it ran for about a minute and threw a rod.

He was embarrased to say the least and I was pissed. He placated me by selling me a much newer engine (at half price) with all the rocker box and valve issues addressed. It also had different hyd lifters, cam and heads.

I have put 1030 hours on this last engine. At 980 hours I saw some evidence of valve guide leakage on the rear exhaust valves. I was getting ready for a back country trip so I relined the exhaust valve guides and replaced the exhaust valves.

On the trip to the Nevada back country I made a bad landing and totaled my plane. One week later I bought a newer Avid with a Rotax 582 grey head with 280 hours on the last overhaul. I flew it for a short wihile listening to the engine turning 6000 RPM with the 3 blade prop only turning 2000 RPM and burning 7 GPH.

I sold the engine, prop, spinner and motor mount and have installed my Jabiru 2200 from the wreck. The leak down performed on a cold engine after not being run for over a month came in at 75/80 for the lowest.

Took the new Avid on a maiden flight today and glad to have the quiet simplicity of a direct drive 4 stroke.

Jabiru Pros: Simple, light weight, parts are cheaper..many off-the-shelf, much quieter, under 3 GPH fuel burn with mixture control, easier installation, longer TBOs (1000 hours top...2000hours bottom)

Jabiru Cons: Some engines are not being installed properly and are over heating and failing sooner than needed. Some range of serial numbers of the early hydraulic lifter engines had early failures. Only one reputable dealer in the US. Currently a airworthy notice pending in Austrailia which was poorly drafted and is being contested.

Hope this helps with the decision.

John M

Great comparison John. Thanks!

The reason I said "hard on the plugs" was because the bloke who told me (very high time trike pilot) used to use penrite aircooled (I think) and said that oil was good on the plugs but carboned up the rings. Said activ 2t was the opposite. He liked 2t because it was easier to clean the plugs vs rings......

Do Rotax advise against full synthetic? castrol TTS?

• Like 1

Plugs also are governed by using either avgas m(lead contamination) or mogas .. (lead free). The difference at 25hrs when I change plugs is marked. Mogas (premium) leaves nice clean plugs whereas Avgas leaved the dreaded lead oxide fouling on the plugs. I have used Castrol activ 2T since new and no problems with rings.. I run a 582 with oil injection. I have always used mineral oils because they coat the inside of the engine and the components better than synthetics when the aircraft is sitting for periods between flying.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I use both avgas in my 582 I like avgas as the egt run cooler and engine Is more responsive then mogas I have no problem at all be doing avgas for the most when I can get it engine seem too run cleaner nice grey pipe

The grey pipe will only happen with avgas. There is a bromine compound used to clear out the excess lead that causes the grey pipe.. I have used avgas in two strokes and found they do run nicer and have more oil left on inner parts which is of cleaner appearance. Nev

• Like 1

I have ran many different 2 strokes, my fav was the robin 40 hp.

I bought my light wing with rotax 582 on 371 hrs , never skipped a beat ( after filter design change)and ran it untill 520 hrs. Just replaced with brand spanker , 19 hrs so far

The only thing I would stress is please don't use z14 fuel filters ( or any paper filters)

Use a 2 stroke designed filter. As with paper filters they clog quickly with oil making a lean mixture and starving engine. I see it time and time again.

Happened when I bought my supercat and was transporting home( engine stopped) and found clogged paper filter . Also first time we ran lightwing on ground lost fuel pressure. Found yet again paper filter clogged( log book showed new filter only 3 hrs flying time before but sat for several weeks un started.

2 st filters are $3 from your local bike shop!

• Informative 3