Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

Hi Ian

I have been going slowly with mine just too many things pulling me this way and that lately but should be getting along with it soon. I went on Sunday and fitted the tank skins and turned the wings over sliced off the sikaflex that comes through the holes that are now blocked by the alu strips in the second tank positions. I am actually making up my sight gauge adaptors on the lathe here today. i have to make 8 of them of course for the 4 tanks. I started using metal but its too heavy when I add the Legris fittings which are metal as well so the body of the adaptor is made from a chemical/fuel resistant plastic called Ertacetal its a white nylon type of stuff I will take some pics tomorrow and post them after I have finished the 8 pieces. These push fit and seal with internal Orings onto the 1/4 inch alu pipes that come from the tanks and will sit in the wing root same as the rislan tube the kit supplys. They are made from 16mm rod eracetal just 2 holes tapped at 1/8 bsp.

We need some more pics from you.

When it comes to painting I think I will paint the bits before they are assembled as this should protect all the alu parts as well. Once I shift the wing off the bench this weekend then I will build the flaperons and the elevator then I will shift all the fuselage gear to my place here and progress will be made every day then

Mark

Hi Everyone

Got to work on the Sav today. Put the fibreglass wingtip in and finished off a few other little things on the wings this morning. That wing is now in the rack with the other one and I can get back into some frame building again. Boy the tanks were a frustration at times but I am happy with the way its all turned out. I have attached a couple of pics of the fittings I made up to go onto the 4 of 1/4 inch alu tube that comes out in the wing root for the sight gauges. The clear tube is a plastic that "supposedly" will not discolour or be affected by petrol...we will see I suppose. The only thing that this system of fittings is a pain and I really didn't think of it was I cant see pretty much all of the fuel level as the 8mm fittings do come down a fair way. I will see how these go if not maybe just that tube clamped onto the alu might be fine. I will suck it and see when the time comes but at least I have a couple of options now.

Ok the wings are off the bench and now its time to get to the elevator. Reasonably straight forward to assemble. Cleaning and deburring the skins and other parts as usual and the painting of the black goop onto the right places which sometimes you think you have done all the mating surfaces but just as you are about finished clecoing them you see you missed a bit so unclip it all and do some more painting....that black stuff seems to get on my fingers all the time no matter how careful I am.

I didn't take too many pics today but the top and bottom skins are on and also the nose skin. Have the trim tab pretty much ready to assemble as well.

Will be going up to the farm next weekend if these cyclones don't change our plans so probably the next weekend it will be riveted and then I start on the flaperons

Mark

IMG_0726_1.jpg.892161982781eb2de710359c6414518e.jpg

IMG_0727_1.jpg.a4839fda9cd5a67bd58a9b4705902211.jpg

IMG_0728_1.jpg.5b5dc5594cb62931c96f13f10dbf872d.jpg

IMG_0729_1.jpg.6dc5231de298a7dd52530474ee32c4ac.jpg

IMG_0730_1.jpg.448c526788d78871998788333b1a7162.jpg

Well done so far to both Mark and Ian. Loving the updates on your progress and especially the photos showing it all going together.

Just wanted to particularly send out a "Good Luck" message to Ian with Yasi now bearing down on the region and hoping you have the Cab Savvy and the new engine well and truly protected from the coming wind and water.

To all of our Northern mates, wishing you all as little damage as possible.

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Mark and Mike

We were all set to start the paint job when cyclone Anthony and now Yasi come along. Anthony wasn't too bad but we took the tail off so we could put Cab Sav inside a shipping container, part of the hangar, along with the box of bits still to be fitted, so it should be safe.

Now along comes Yasi!!!!! It was heading for us but now for Cairns. Our hearts go out to the people of the FNQ in particular Frank (Farri) and Tom Abell who lives in Mareeba.

Its going to be a very tough 48 hrs for the whole region. Lets just hope everyone stays safe.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian

I hope you guys up there batten down the hatches. Just been looking at the latest NOAA infared pics animation and it looks like Yasi is starting to go southwest a bit so I think maybe a bit more south than they say it will hit.... maybe more like between innisfail and Townsville. The cloud looks like it will reach almost to here tomorrow as well. I posted a link to the NOAA site and its updated pretty regular in another thread but here it is here http://www.goes.noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html

This one looks like a real monster so please be carefull. I will give Tom a ring tomorrow to see how he is fairing up there. We will be going to Mission Beach to attend a mates 40th birthday bash for 4 days from the 28th of April the weekend after Natfly which I cant make it to this year but hopefully next year but we will call in to see Tom on the way from Cairns sort of a longer round trip from Cairns to Mission Beach. I just hope its all still there when we get up that way....Make sure you anchor that container down too Ian at 250 to 300 kph winds that will roll a container

Mark

I'm thinking about the North Queensland Rec Flying aviators. I trust all will go well. It sounds like a huge cyclone is on its way.

May God keep you, your families and property from danger and damage!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Been a while since I posted...probably because I havent been able to get to do any work on the Sav :(. I had started putting the elevator together a few weeks ago and finally got back to it this weekend.

I also went to take some pics of me sitting in a VG XL for a guy in Canada who didnt know if he could fit in it so while I was there laurie was talking about things he would do different in his if he built another one. One of the things he would do would be strengthen the outer panel of the stab on the rivet line where the nose skin meets the main skins. This is very soft as it is just 2 sheets riveted together with no spar support and it squeezes really easy and feels very flimsey. I had already done the stab it was one of the first things I had done. Anyway while doing the elevator the plastic tips need to be attached and ICP supply this special cut strip you rivet to the end ribs then the tips slide over there but its a bit of a trick to line up all the holes. Most I have seen are not a nice flush and neat job. Steve Donald gave me the tip for the rudder and fin which I did and the tips really fitted nicely and easily so I decided to do the same for the elevator.

The pictures attached show how I just cut some 25mm wide strips out of the tank cut out panels and they slide between the skin and the rib at the end just makrk and drill the holes then rivet them in. The tips fit beautifully and are close enough to perfectly flush with the top of the skins.

The stab I had riveted the nose sections and the tips are much larger for it so I decided to remove the rivets and do the same to it. The other issue was this soft skin in the outer panel so I removed all the rivets and a few extra past the main frame and then cut one of the spare skin tensioners to size slipped it in the spot and marked the skin holes on it then removed it and drilled the holes. Painted the black goop on it and slipped it in so it locks between the inner and outer rib then riveted the main seam so it was now holding both skins and being bent at right angles it has now made this part of the stab really strong with basically no extra weight...maybe a total of 100 grams for the 4 strips required to do the job. I have done one now and will do the other 3 also do the tip mounting mods as well. Hopefully will get them done later this week or next weekend then it onto the flaperons

Mark

IMG_0736_1.jpg.453c275225f374f5709e87e99d7a3821.jpg

1589078268_IMG_07371.jpg.3e4ce21a3c9604af1bd90262bec7744b.jpg

IMG_0733_1.jpg.0ee13b63e7af1a0ed37ed8fb5ada0f28.jpg

IMG_0739_.jpg.46268da160608fa8bd72aba010a71a7c.jpg

IMG_0738_1.jpg.5088f462d3454001d2971a930a773c8a.jpg

IMG_0732_1.jpg.5ab892aee44fe4440a59f313f1937845.jpg

IMG_0740_1.jpg.e360206b639b35d18a298fdf67cffba8.jpg

Hi mark

good to see you back on the job. I've been a bit delayed with the cyclones up here but now making headway again. Started painting the top coats of paint today, preparing for painting was very time consuming as in all the little jobs that i hadn't decided how to do them, they now had to be done. You think a part is finished then you find you've left bits off for this or that now is the time to put them on.

A quick tip for the stabilizer and elevator tips. I am putting BOTH sides of mine on with rivnuts so the can be easily removed, this way the sav will fit inside a shipping container ready for the next cyclone!!!!!

I'm still having problems uploading photos so will try to put some on later.

regards

Ian

Hi Ian

I wondered how you went up there you havent posted for quite a while either. I will probably only rivnut the stab and elevator side for the servo and trim rods to make it easier as I dont see any need for the other sides to ever come off. I decided not to use those strips they supply and rivet them on and then try to line up the holes also most dont get a real nice fit doing it that way. The alu sheet under the skins makes the plastic tips conform to the shape and are just the right height to make them conform to be flush with the skin...what paint are you using?

Steve Donald has primed his Sav fuselage and is using wattyl enamel paint and primer for alu. He painted his aeropup with the same paint and it is still faultless and great finish after 6 years of use also enamel covers very well so wont add a huge amount of weight. A lot of 2 pack paints can be quite heavy also the primers

Mark

Hi mark

I've used wattyl super etch primer, followed by epinamel pr 250 primer then polythane AU 625 2 pack topcoat. This is the system that Maj Millard recomended, he works on the seaplanes at shute harbour and its the system they use, some of them have been flying for 70 years aparently and still going strong. As I want to put floats on eventually and live very close to the sea corrosion protection is important. I'll try again for some photos.

Ian

Hi All

The paint job looks great looks like you have done a lot of prep before painting.. I got time yesterday to finish off the strengthening of the outer tailplane skins. Those right angle skin tensioners really made a huge difference I think they should be standard. By the way I didnt come up with the idea it was Laurie Strickland I was chatting to him the weekend before and it was one of the things he said he would change if he built another and I have to say I am glad I did it. I have mounted the servo now and all the tip holders are in as well so have put it aside now until I need the unit. Pulled out all the bits for the flaperons and started filing all the sharp edges and de burring the skins thats a massive job as all the edges seem to be proud and sharp. Pretty much have all that done for the right aileron complete and will paint the black goop on this weekend and start to assemble it and then onto the left Aileron. Will be around for a few weekends now so hopefully will get these done and get ready to transfer all the fuselage bits over here to my place and hopefully really motor along once its here

Mark

hi Mark

took the Cab Sav for a roll today all on its own three wheels, then put it in the shipping container as we are off to Perth for ten days, just in case there is another cyclone whilst we are away, I will be putting the engine in and wings on when we get back.

Cant upload pictures again so will try later

regards

Ian

Not Forgotten by "silent readers" :-)

Hello Ian and Mark,

You may not realise this but, even though we don't comment much on your Savannah projects, we are still following your projects with great interest.

I'd love to get started myself but there are two enemies to deal with first before I can start on my plane 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Hi 80K

Yes I see how many visits this has had after I post and its between 200 and 400 visits after each post so its quite remarkable really. I am really enjoying doing the build and also always ready to listen to others advice especially with all the experience in building not only Savannahs but other aircraft. Steve Donald is a local and is building a sav as well and his knowledge is just fabulous and has so many great tips and ideas. I am no expert in full size...I have 40 years in building flying RC models and also for the past 14 years or so turbine powered model RC aircraft and some are quite large. I have a 1/7 scale F15 here which I am now slowly but surely building 2 of 22kg thrust turbines for I usually import the engines as I am the aussie dealer for brand of them but they are very expensive so I have decided to try to build my own now and now that I deal in CNC machines as well its a lot easier to do :)

Well I hope you make your decision to buy or build soon as life is way too short not to enjoy it. Denice and I cant wait until our sav is finished we intend to use it a lot...not just safe fast transport up to our property but we want to do some travelling about with it. Not so much camping but flying then getting a hotel or a property to sleep and eat at. A few locals last year did a 5000 nmile trip and organised to stay at different places and they loved it so we will do similar.

Mark

Got a few hours today to work on the Sav. Doing the flaperons at the moment. So far this would have been the worst drawings and instructions for putting them together. I had to read it 4 or 5 times and really look hard at the diagrams to decipher where certain bits go and their orientation. I thought I had it right but had to drill out some rivets and rectify my wrong assembly. really peeved off at myself about it as I thought I had it sorted before I started but I was wrong I hate having to redo something.. So lesson learned once again that sometimes you really need to read the manual several times over and over to make sure you understand totally what bits go where. To date the manual has been pretty good and no real stuffups but the flaperon section you really need to read thoroughly. Next weekend hopefully will finish the flaperons off as I should be able to get a couple of half days to work on them

Mark

DSC_3998_1.jpg.c0509da5b99f85c1b4016e24e8ce3cbb.jpg

DSC_4003_1.jpg.8298d226184d8cb4d699ce26c2cd660f.jpg

DSC_4000_1.jpg.4f23b53241a8a03b966406d5a021d28a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Worked on the left flaperon today almost finished the outer one now with the inboard one done. Just need to rivet the top skin on the outer panel I am really surprised how much time the flaperons have sucked up. All the parts I have made already will stay at my mother in laws place until it comes time to do the final finishing and painting of them . Also building a new work table here at my place getting ready to build the fuselage over here is just over 4 mtrs long and 1.2 mtrs wide it will be around 800mm from the ground to the top surface so its no too tall. I was thinking of bringing the table I made the wings etc on over here but its too high so its quicker and easier to knock up a new table. Will post a few pics of it later. Got to go up the farm next weekend to get the mezzanine floor finished off with all the welding. so after that should have the flaperons finished and can start getting most of the fuselage bits over here and start on them. I will be able to devote a lot more time on it then when its over here

Mark

Mark.

While making the flapperon, it might be an idea to reinforce the ribs where the two halves join.

The plates that attach to the two pieces with 3 rivets into the "very thin rib" aren't very strong, and there has been a failure.

Cheers

Hi John

Thanks for the tip. I have already fitted those end ribs but I will drill them out and reinforce the inner side of both of them. I havent actually riveted those plates on yet but the ribs are in but will make up some internal plates and get it done

Mark

Hi JohnThanks for the tip. I have already fitted those end ribs but I will drill them out and reinforce the inner side of both of them. I havent actually riveted those plates on yet but the ribs are in but will make up some internal plates and get it done

Mark

Be very careful to get the plates on the correct piece(note only one has the large hole in the drawing) or you will reverse the washout on your flaperon, also double check that you have the hole in the hinge point aligned to the hinge mount on the wing or you will have to unrivet everything to change it when you go to mount your flaperons.

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_0918_1.thumb.jpg.3ee48dae1bc21f5ec97b3e6bd809c4a7.jpg Hi All

Its been a while since I have done a lot been doing things up at the property and finishing the flaperons when I have had a chance. Also have built a new 4 mtr long sturdy table over here at my house now to build the fuselage. Things should now happen a lot faster as I can now work on it when I get any free moment here also at night now. I have all the parts I have built stored over at the mother in laws place where I built them Just need to transfer the rest of the parts over to here which I will do this weekend.. I started on the main frames last night deburring the edges and holes and painting them last night. A couple of pics to show how I kept the traing edges of the wings and flaperons when I riveted them using the small training edge rivets using alu angle and clamps. This works great it keeps the trailing edges as straight as a die

Mark

IMG_0923_1.thumb.jpg.e2c5cb6f12bd059a32b0acdbaa8f428b.jpg

IMG_0920_1.thumb.jpg.0adbac68f42d56bf5d1597a5efe3653d.jpg

IMG_0917_1.thumb.jpg.ebb49255c68f22361293eb67719d4107.jpg