Clecos

Kyle Communications

My kit wont be here for 3 or 4 weeks

What size clecos are required to build the Savannah and does anyone have any suggestions where to get them from. I see 50 are supplied with the kit but this will not be enough...how many extra will I need and any particular brand recommended? also the cleco pliers

Regards

Mark Kyle

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Mark,

Reg,

the distributor sells them. I do recommend about 150 of the "middle size "one's , 100 of the " large one's and the same of the small ones. Sorry I cannot remember the sizes but this will do. Do not get any less as they will all be needed. It is also worth buying a set of good quality

clico pliers as the ones in the kit are rubbish!!. I will be glad to give you as many hints as possible but many owners have different ideas. There are issues regarding tanks and fuel taps etc. You will get a variety of info and all valid. Should you require my 5 cents worth pls. let me know and I will do my best to help. You could also ring me on 07 54 944261 and I 'llbe glad to assist in any way I can.

Happy building

Walter

I am sure that a Savannah builder will confirm regarding the cleco size (probably size 30). I bought 100 through wicks and 100 through Avery in the two main sizes that I use. The Avery ones are a bit smoother and were on a good special. There will be a few other things you may need so try and group it into 1 order. You can buy clecos locally but it was cheaper to import.

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Mark,

Since you're in Caboolture you're alwas welcome to go for a "spin " in my Savvy with me.- no trouble at all. Gympie is not too far away. I have taken Peter Elliot for a fly to Evans Head and as a result he bought one and is now in the process of building it. Let us now if you're interested.

fly safe

Walter

Hi Walter

I am always willing to go for a fly :)... I have sent a email to Reg to see what price he has on the clecos and pliers and as you say its better to have more than not enough. I see you are in Witta..I should be up at Witta for a Brisbane CNC user group meeting on the 1st of May at Berganns Rd. Gympie isnt that far but usually I am just looking to the left as I pass Gympie airport on my way up to my property at Booyal. I will certainly keep in contact and try to organize something. This next month or so I am totally flat out... every weekend is booked so far its that crazy time of the year for me.

Mark

Mark,

The sizes you refer to are 5/32"(Black Body), 1/8"(Copper Body) and 3/32"(Silver Body).

From memory it takes about 400 copper ones to cleco every third hole on a complete wing at skinning stage, That still isn't enough to do the whole rear fuselage in every third hole, If that helps.

Hi Mark

I have built a few Savannahs now - I have 140 copper (1/8"), 70 black (5/32") and 70 silver (3/32") clecos and have never really needed more. That said you can never have too many.

I would normally be able to lend you mine but Domnic Court has them for his Savannah build.

I also have two sets of cleco pliers, both out on loan.

Cheers

Bill hi.gif

Hi Bill

Its fine I will buy them and make sure I have plenty and a good set of pliers. I am really looking forward to building the aircraft. I think I will do it as per the blog on the american site..tail feathers first then the wings. Then by that time I should have made room back here at my place and I can do the fuselage here which does take most of the time.

Mark

Clecos at caboolture

Ralph at ASAP AC supplies has plenty of clecos. I have bought all mine off him.

He is in the same building as the Beauford restoration.

JimG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was at Aerodrome Rd today getting some bits and decided to go to the Beaufort restoration hangar to see if I could find the ASAP Aircraft Spares to see what they have in stock. Well I got to say he has pretty much everything. Clecos (pretty cheap too) 2000 series alu sheet also 6061, pitot tubing some chrome moly a huge range of AN nuts bolts and washers also titanium bolts and nuts etc, aussie made drills he will even hire out the special crimpers and other tools required to build aircraft. Lots of older ww2 instruments and he refurbs compasses out of tiger moths and lots of other older aircraft. It truly is a aladdin's cave of gear. The guy who runs the shop is the owner of the Beaufort and the restoration project. He tells me he will be at Watts bridge on the weekend to promote his business I don't know what he will have there but give him a ring if you are chasing something. he is a really nice guy to boot and a real aircraft enthusist. Contact for the business are

ASAP Aircraft Spares

Hangar 106 157 McNaught rd

Caboolture Airfield

Caboolture 4510

PH 07-54954951

Fax 07 54281613

Mob 0417731585

Email [email protected]

Regards

Mark Kyle