aircraft spruce (supplier)

Guest micgrace

Guest micgrace

Hi

Anyone out there use aircraft spruce lately? I placed an order with them (for the first time) for nonavailabile odds and ends in Oz. I nominated USPS express airfreight. I presume that is correct. If anyone has used them let me know of your experiences.

Thanks, Micgace:)

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Migrace

I've had quite a few shipments from the US from different suppliers including Aircraft Spruce, and understand that apart from most companies offering freight company options,each freight company also has options for speed of the consignment (the exact terminologies escape me).....There is express and expedited, to mention but two of a number, and although here is only a day or two difference in delivery time, the price difference is close to double for express. (need to check fedex website for the exact classifications and pricing)

If I want something in a hurry,then fedex EXPEDITED will have it delivered to my door within three to four days,the biggest delay being customs in Sydney.

I have had one experience only with DHL and it was a SHOCKER ....close to two hundred dollars for a small light weight box about 18 ins square.

Although it weighed in about two kilos ,the package was charged at around ten kilos.....When I complained I was advised by a DHL representative that DHL don't have an expedited option only the single, slightly faster experss (hugely more expensive) rate.....Further,the weight is calculated on the cubic capacity of the box size rather than the actual weight of the contents.

DHl are on my never to use again list,as they are for a number of people I know who have suffered a similar experience.

Hope this helps...Regards

JL

PS. Sporty's send their products surface mail I think, and that can take up to six weeks.....which also causes anxiety.

Aircraft Spruce

I have used both Spruce and Wicks in the USA. I found Wicks to be better. Postage by USPS (United States Postal Service) from the USA is the cheapest by far but you should insure your purchase as you cannot track the progress of your delivery. Purchases made from California will attrack a 6% tax so all things being equal, buy from a tax free state. Check the bottom line every time i.e. cost of goods + delivery + tax (if any).

USPS website for postage costs is www.usps.com select 'calculate postage", "calculate international postage", "Destination" = Australia, "Shape and Size" = package, enter weight, "continue", select "Air Parcel Post' , add Extras, select "Insurance", "Add Extra Services", continue, gives total cost and estimated delivery time.

GST- If the value of your purchase is greater than $1,000 AUD (I stand corrected on the value) your purchase will be referred to Customs & you will have to pay GST/Duty etc at Australia Post before they will hand over your goods.

Small, light weight medium cost goods are worth while importing. If you have a relative or friend in the US - it is the way to go. A relative of mine bought my SS 4 pipe exhaust system in CA and sent it to me as a gift in two separate parcels.

Cheers

Clive

Guest pelorus32

I also don't like DHL - wouldn't use them again.

The issue about GST is slightly more complex than indicated:

GST is payable on every dollar of the value of the goods and the shipping cost of the goods - the "landed cost". But there is a dispensation for goods which arrive by POST. Those goods are not assessed GST if the landed value is under $1000AUD. For all other goods you are supposed to be charged GST from the first dollar.

Regards

Mike

I have used Wicks and Aircraft Spruce in the past. Both were good and I think I used normal mail for delivery.

My real hate is UPS. I bought X-Plane which was 5 CD's and the freight was more than the cost of the flight sim program, not only that it wasn't delivered, I had to go to the local shop to pick it up, whereas I have had stuff from Aircraft Spruce delivered to the door, within a week of ordering.

Ian Borg

Ditto with DHL and UPS. i used both and neither delivered on time and hit me up with gst and 'this end' handling fees with gst on this as well. The postal service is by far the best. But i think they have a weight and size limit. I have never had any problems with any of the major suppliers over the last three years buying on line.

Ozzie

Guest micgrace

Hi Guys

Thanks for the tips. I have been advised of delivery so I'll add my $0.02 worth on arrival. (hopefully no surprises)

Micgace

Guess it must be the luck of the draw.....I had 2 headsets sent from California and transported by UPS. They were despatched on a Tuesday (Monday US time) and arrived here in Perth on the Friday morning (same week). I was able to track them from San Diego via Anchorage, Hong Kong, Singapore and on to Perth. Amazing service.

Dave