Ingham Wings and Wheels

Guest DonningtonSmythe

Guest DonningtonSmythe

G'day folks, I've just signed up and look forward to talking aviation with you. I'm organising a Wings and Wheels Airshow at Ingham (QLD) for the weekend of 3-4 September, 2011. I'll get it onto the calendar shortly or you can visit my web-site www.inghamwingsandwheels.com.au or Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Ingham-Australia/Ingham-Wings-Wheels-Airshow-2011/191748063084?ref=sgm .

I still haven't learnt to fly - got 3 hours in my log-book around 1986 and ran out of money! - but I have coordinated 8 airshows previously at Donnington Airpark, Woodstock (QLD) 1986-1993 (notice how I ran out of money about the same time I started organising airshows?!). I have an abiding interest in aviation of all sorts but particularly Warbirds (grew up on a diet of Biggles and Dambusters!). Someday before I shuffle off I plan to at least go solo! Regards, Christian Smith.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey... I attended one of the airshows at Woodstock. Can't remember the exact year but it was the first time that Guido Zucholi's Boomerang was there. Bloody great event. I still remember the announcer pointing out the cars parking on the road at the boundary of the strip and the announcer pointing out as Guido taxied his Seafury for takeoff that now would probably be a good time to pay the small admission fee... once Guido opened the taps they were sprayed with dust and stones from that massive radial!! Boy didn't they move fast!!

Welcome to the sight and good luck with the latest airshow. Will put it in the diary.

Guest DonningtonSmythe

G'day - that is one of my enduring memories as well! It was 1993 and the last event we ever held there. Do you remember the boys from 35 SQN following Guido and, not to be outdone, standing on the picks and letting fly with both radials until the "crows" disappeared in a sand-storm worthy of the Sahara?! Those Caibous sure do need a lengthy run-up!! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif The crowd loved it and it was fair punishment for all the tight-fisted mongrels who made a habit of sitting outside while we struggled to break even. Hopefully Ingham will be a better result - the programme is already shaping well - just have to sort out the logistics and the sponsorship now!

Yeah... it was a great airshow! I just happened to be passing through on the way from Mount Isa to Tully with the ex mother in law and said to her "We will just drop in here for half an hour"... We stayed for the whole afternoon... It was her first airshow and I couldn't have dragged her away!

Guest Decca

Hi Christian, welcome to our forums.

What an interesting & worthwhile experience, being involved at the deep end of all those airshows! Bad luck you ran out of funds, & better luck this time.

Regards, Decca.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Guest DonningtonSmythe

Thanks Decca, it was certainly an experience! Met some great people, raised quite a few thousand dollars for the RFDS and got to fly in the Fiat G-59, Trojan and several other interesting types (ultralight, helicopter etc.). We were enthusiastic amateurs and our hearts were in the right place but that doesn't pay the bills. I'm approaching this next event on a far more professional business basis but with the same core values so hopefuly we can make it work on all fronts this time - times have changed but the population here has almost doubled and the public seem more event-aware and supportive now. I've had a couple of rounds with prostate cancer in recent years so I'm aiming to make it a fund-raiser for PCFA (endorsed or not) and it'd be nice if I could be successful enough to keep it going as a biennial event. Regards, Christian.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest DonningtonSmythe

Some encouraging news - my funding application to Queensland Events has been successful, with $15,000 granted to the event. The Queensland Events endorsement is a big step forward and validates my faith in the event concept. Time now to get out and sell some more sponsorship packages!

My recent trip to SEQ was also quite fruitful - I now have a professional commentator, patron (honorary) and LSA distributor on board - also made some new and potentially useful vintage aircraft contacts.

Gidday Christian,

Congrats on the funding, we also got funding for our "Dalby Wings & Wheels Spectacular 2010" to be held on the 21st August, 2010. This is our third event the first two were held in 2007 and 2008 and are a lot of hard work and you do learn to do it better and as they are a lot of work, decided to do them every two years..our next one promises to be a beauty though. It is really good to see these type of events backed by our state government and equally good to see them at either end of the state on alternating years. If you would like to come down and set up an information tent for yours, you are more than welcome. regards Peter

Welcome Along Christian,

It sounds like you are a very busy bloke, I hope you enjoy the site and get your solo in real soon.I will try and get there in September, depends on funds as I am going to Dalby in August. Keep us informed on your progress mate.

Monty

Guest DonningtonSmythe

Thanks Peter - appreciate the moral support and hope your event goes well also. I will try to make it to Dalby, a lot depends on finances at present and the event workload will be increasing by then! I am going to do Ingham on a biennial basis as well - too much potential for burnout otherwise, both me and the public! Having said that, I am about to contradict myself and advise that I'm looking to do an alternate-year event in Charters Towers - have already had a chat to the Mayor and Events Officer and they're quite keen. CT offers a bigger aerodrome, more on-site parking and the opportunity to highlight the military history of the area - as well as bringing an aviation showcase closer to the Outback population! :-) I must be a sucker for punishment!!

Monty - you've got until September 2011 to save up for my event! :-)

G'day Christian,

When I first saw Ingham Wings, I thought it was a chicken advert, till I read further:laugh:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

Sounds like your doing a great job getting things organised. Good luck to you.

Sorry i'm a bit far away to attend, but with your enthusiasm and drive it should be a good event. I'm particularly pleased that you are trying to raise some funds for the FCFA which is close to my heart. Good luck with that:thumb_up:, and everything else you are orgaising.

Kind Regards

Planey

Guest DonningtonSmythe

G'day planedriver, I didn't make the "Ingham's" connection until a mate pointed it out a while ago but if nothing else it gives me another company to put the weights on for some sponsorship!! :-)

• 5 months later...
Guest DonningtonSmythe

Ingham Wings and Wheels Airshow

I'm pleased to announce that the Ingham Wings and Wheels Airshow is now endorsed as a fund-raising event for the Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia (PCFA). 10% of nett profit will be donated to the PCFA to further its aims of funding research and raising awareness of prostate cancer. We need to have a successful event now so that we can make a substantial contribution! :-)

With the event being held over the Father's Day weekend in Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, there should be some good opportunities for promotional tie-ins! ;-)

The event web-site and Facebook page are being updated on a regular basis - please check them out or contact me if you need further information.

great news........................looking forward to it.

( only just noticed we have 3 threads here, all on the same event, join em all into 1 thread maybe..????????? ) delete other headers. ???

Lastly..........swagging under wings Ok..?????

Guest DonningtonSmythe

G'day Russ, the Council are not keen on people camping on the airport at this stage but the Pony Club is only next door (a bit over walking distance) and we'll run a shuttle service to get pilots and crew there and back. If we have to use the Showgrounds we'll also run a shuttle as it's further away. The Pony Club has one shower and toilet per sex and we'll add some Portaloos to make it more amenable. There will be professional security at the airport all weekend to ensure the safety of aircraft.

Re threads - probably would be a good idea to amalgamate them (is that a Moderator function?). I previously responded on all all three just to be safe! ;-)

Christian,

The towers idea is great, we have a great strip here, and you are right there is plenty of camping space, the ovals right next door could very easy handle 500 + campers, there is a lot of locals here who would gladly help, we are a very friendly bunch and this type of exposure is what we been trying to get, with the gliding club, local ultralight guys, myself with gyros, and the local air force cadets, and the local ga guys, drop me an email if you want any more info.

I should be in ingham also, with a demo flight as asked.

Guest DonningtonSmythe

Charters Towers proposed airshow.

G'day Bones,

I had another meeting with Council reps Tuesday this week - clarified quite a few issues which had been misconstrued from my original proposal (lost in translation once it went to the Council meeting in August!) and the way forward is clearer although the onus is still on me to prove that the concept is viable. Council won't offer any significant assistance but they won't stand in my way either if I can show that CASA will allow the event and I can present a viable Event Plan. I've got some interesting thoughts on layout which will utilise much of the cross-strip and make for a much better viewing experience for the spectators.

As I've done with Ingham, I will join the local Chamber of Commerce to get to know the local business people and will also become a part-time citizen with regular trips to become familiar with the town again (I spent 5 years at All Souls' '73-'77). Whilst Ingham will have Warbirds, restored military vehicles and and military re-enactors, the Towers with its WWII history is the obvious location to ramp up this aspect of the show and make it a stand-out feature. There is also the practical interest in aviation by rural communities to consider and the prospect of a trade expo, possibly following on from the Field Days, is worth considering. I'd love to sit down and have a mag with the local aviators to get their thoughts and I'd welcome input and assistance! :-)

Guest DonningtonSmythe

For the record, winsor68, yes I am looking at early September 2012 for the Charters Towers event. I am hopeful of making CT and Ingham biennial events, which would give each town a 2-year break between events but keep me on the hop annually. It's a big plan and high-risk but what the hell, you only live once! Might as well "have a go"! ;-)

Guest DonningtonSmythe

Matt Hall to headline Ingham Wings and Wheels Airshow

Skipping back to Ingham for a moment, I neglected to announce on here that Matt Hall (Australian Red Bull Air Race pilot) will be the headline act. He's bringing his Red Bull Air Race MXS-R aircraft and is working on some new routines to thrill the crowds. I had hoped that the Caboolture Mustang, in which Matt is a part-owner, may have been able to make it but it is looking a very remote chance at the moment due to an expired engine. To be able to offer patrons the opportunity to fly with Matt in the Mustang would have been something else! ;-)

We'll also have Paul Bennet in his Pitts Special - he is the current Australian Unlimited Aerobatic Champion and the only pilot in Australia doing the triple ribbon cut. I'm also talking to Paul about the Warbirds he flies for Steve Searle's Wirraway Station - I now have some costs to work on for the Wirraway, O-2 and Avenger and need to determine if we can really afford to get them up. I'll keep you posted!

Guest Maj Millard

G'day Christian, Good to see you part of the forum....isn't it amazing how many remember those Woodstock Airshows at Donnington. I was in the states at the time and I even heard about them (probabily in my Mums letters). I still have those posters for you when we catch up next ok.....Cheers Ross Millard......Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest DonningtonSmythe

Donnington Airshow memories

G'day Ross, the Donnington Airshow (and previously as the Donnington Country Fly-In) was an institution on the NQ aviation calendar between 1979 and 1993 - between my father and myself we ran 15 consecutive major annual events out there. It was supported by enthusiasts but never in big enough numbers by the general public. However, I am proud of the programme we put together and I know we raised around $20,000 for the RFDS in that period - not big dollars in today's terms but significant back then. I do still have people from both sides of the spectator fence reminisce about being there and it's nice to know we have that place in their memories.

Maybe one day I will get around to putting all the professional Betacam footage ('89 - '93) on to hard disk and making a "Best of Donnington" DVD! Any video techs or film-makers on the forum? ;-) I also made a one-hour doco of 1987's event (fairly amteurish in hindsight but it gives a record of what happened) but unfortunately the dills at the studio wiped the master tapes afterwards and so I only have a couple of VHS copies left - possibly correctly referred to now as "hysterical" footage?! ;-).

Speaking of DVD's - I have now transferred to DVD a very tired old VHS tape which documents some of the activities of the Super Ultralight Aircraft Association (SULAA) which was formed in Townsville in the early 70's and flew at Donnnnington on a regular basis. The film was originally shot by a member of the 16mm Film Club and transferred to VHS. It is set to the music of "Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines" and is quite a retrospective hoot, with the old Skycraft Scouts and repairs made using pram wheels and No. 8 fencing wire (you think I jest - well , it was close to that!). Probably a bit big to put up on YouTube (if I knew how!) but I'd be happy to bring it along to a social night sometime and play it for the amusement of the gathered aviators - "look how far we've come"! :-)

• 5 months later...
Guest DonningtonSmythe

RACQ have offered to pre-ticket and promote the event so hopefully within a few weeks we'll have the deal up and running. If you're an RACQ member (or affiliate) you'll have a head-start on booking tickets and getting a great member benefit. :-)