Boeing 777 with a damaged wing

Downunder

Failure.

Looks as though a hydraulic actuator has punched a hole in the control surface. A lot of this stuff is designed to fail in selected locations in the event of a jamb or overload. (Maybe someone just didn't secure a pin) Losing a bit of hydraulic fluid! Nev..

Guest Decca

Here’s an attempt at an educated guess;

When the L/G was selected down some part of the Right Gear components punctured the wing upper surface. When that happened, hydraulic lines were severed & at the loss rate that particular hydraulic system won’t last long.

It could certainly not be a primary part of the landing gear, probably not even a secondary part, or the crew may be getting abnormal gear position indications, necessitating a go-round to assess the situation.

On touch-down the ground spoiler immediately behind the subject area deploys normally, in fact the mess that punctured the wing now punches upwards as the aircraft settles onto the runway.

Another unscheduled overnight for the crew!

Downunder is right - a mechanical failure has certainly allowed this component or actuator to escape. Hydraulics is powerful stuff!

Regards, Decca.

• 3 weeks later...

it looks like it failed before touchdown, my guess is it is a spoiler/speedbrake actuator, if the UC system looses pressure, it will fall under gravity, and its own weight and aerodynamic forces will lock the gear in place, (well on a 747 anyway) seeing as all flight controls seam to be working, aileron and flap, i see that 2 spoilers didnt deploy, so it could have been a failure of the speed brake spoiler actuator or drive unit. speed brake might have been deployed in the decent, and jammed causing the actuator to twist up through the skin. the skin in that area is only 6 layers of fibreglass with a bonded honeycomb core.

Tricky one! Unfortunatly I havnt worked on a 777 so dont know the system specifically. The spoiler directly behind the actuator deployed, so I cant really imagine that actuator being for the next (Outboard) spoiler. Anyone got access maintenance manual for the 777?

• 1 year later...